Anyone up for an art challenge?

This forum is for displaying your artwork for feedback, or just for fun.

Anyone up for an art challenge?

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:05 am

Sigh...lost my first post...not cool :shock:

Anyway...I am suggesting that we collectively combine our thoughts and create a series of related pictures.

The idea would be that each member who wants to participate brings one detail that everyone playing along would need to incorporate into their art piece.

For example...let us consider the first project to be a Mutant Future project as there is quite a bit of Labyrinth Lord art already...the winner (chosen by forum votes) would choose the next project direction...

5 artists want to play...and here are a few examples of provided details...

Joe..."a two headed humanoid"
Sara..."robot junkyard"
Sam..."giant character, 10-12' tall"
Dan..."centaur mutant character"
Lou..."pure strain human Fallout dweller"

So each artist would need to include these elements at least, adding more as they see fit to do so.

Anyone interested?

I am in!

I am thinking a total of 45 days between challenges.

01-30 days to work on art and submit for review
31-35 days to judge and vote
36-45 days to recruit artists and determine new details

Next challenge begins.

Thoughts?
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: Anyone up for an art challenge?

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 am

...hmmm nothing huh?

Oh well...no harm asking.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:41 pm

37 hits and no comments...hmmm.

Ok how about a specific challenge?

Draw out one randomly generated character that is predetermined?

Is the issue that I was considering the Mutant Future?

I only offered that up because it seems that the Labyrinth Lord art is well supported.

So how about a 4 way challenge?

Labyrinth Lord, Mutant Future, Starships & Spacemen, and Rot World

A character, maybe even the same basic stats carried through the four settings?

This way an artist could do one or the other or all.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby sonofotho » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Sounds like an interesting concept! But considering I have trouble drawing a straight line, I will have to follow this one from the sidelines!
Running the Stonehell LL sandbox game
Ran the Yendo LL AEC sandbox game (on hiatus....for now)
sonofotho

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:43 pm

sonofotho wrote:Sounds like an interesting concept! But considering I have trouble drawing a straight line, I will have to follow this one from the sidelines!

I had considered this aspect...I was thinking that others who are not artists themselves could participate via detail interaction.

If we were to go with the details coming from the artists, so 6 artists would have 6 mandatory details, these could could from a poll or common input instead.

But based upon the lack of communication I suspect participation is just not going to be there, sadly.

I guess I am spoiled by the other forums I haunt, as most threads get input every day if not several times a day.

I thought maybe the art side might get more attention but with one or two people communicating in a week it would take a year to get one challenge under way lol.

Ah well such is life :)
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 am

I think the biggest issues are the general traffic and the number of artists on the board. These forums have fairly steady traffic, but not nearly the amount that you see at some of the bigger boards. Also, there are not that many artists here that I know of. I would be happy to participate in a design challenge, but unless it involved cartography, my artistic skills aren't up to public display.
Bob

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I hear ya.

I had high hopes but maybe it is better to tone it down a bit lol.

I am considering working on a no text comic format with one page a week, once I build up 6-8 pages first...as life tends to get in the way :)

A basic style that presents story without the need for text...like watching an action movie with the sound off, you still know what is going on. Sometime the text bars and balloons are distracting.

We shall see.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Craigers07 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 am

Atomic Ray wrote:...as life tends to get in the way :)

This is the main thing that gets in the way of my art. :-)

If you get your comic drawings done it would be a nice addition to the board. Good luck with your project.
Craigers07

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:21 am

Right...what you said lol.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 am

People can be strange and their art can reflect their weirdness.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Return to Art Forum