Other Aliens/Races you would like to see?

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Other Aliens/Races you would like to see?

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 pm

What other Aliens or Races (PC or otherwise) would you like to see? One of my favorites is the Kzinti. If I get a bit of time, I'll do a quick write up.

[url]Image[/url]
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Other Aliens/Races you would like to see?

Postby greyarea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:05 pm

In that case we should have Pierson's Puppeteers too.

greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm

What do they use for hands? The heads?
Blood axe

Postby Kathulos » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 pm

The Kzinti have already been mentioned. Since they do appear in the ST: TAS, I thought it might be interesting to include the other feline based race.

Lt. M'Ress from ST: TAS. Some write ups would indicate that she, and her race, are from the planet Cait and that her race are Caitians. The same material has Caits and Kzinti being related species. Much like Vulcans and Romulans.

Another possible race are the plant based Phylosians
Also from ST: TAS, the only real details we have on them is that they use 70% of their brains, and that they were a star faring race.
Kathulos

Postby greyarea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Blood axe wrote:What do they use for hands? The heads?

Yes. More specifically, their mouths. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierson's_Puppeteers

And of course, if we're going to have Kzinti we need to have the developers of the Soft Weapon (which was the basis of the story in the ST:TAS episode), the Thrintun.

Heck, might as well have all of Known Space in there. :)
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, since this isnt exactly Star Trek, it doesnt have to be "cannon" Trek. We could tweek them a bit to be more player friendly.
Ive been thinking of making the Kzinti a bit less hostile & intolerant. This could also be in the futute, and they are now part of the Confederation.
Like the Klingons, Warf. But maybe not all agree...thete could be some that are still enemies.
Blood axe

Postby Kathulos » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Blood axe wrote:Well, since this isnt exactly Star Trek, it doesnt have to be "cannon" Trek. We could tweek them a bit to be more player friendly.
Ive been thinking of making the Kzinti a bit less hostile & intolerant. This could also be in the futute, and they are now part of the Confederation.
Like the Klingons, Warf. But maybe not all agree...thete could be some that are still enemies.

I can see where your going with the Kzinti. and being your game you are right to go in whatever direction you want with them.
As for myself, I would keep them an enemy race. In the history setting it is mentioned that the Zangids were fighting a war on the far side of their empire. I'd use the Kzinti as the race they are in conflict with. Now and then a rare Kzin ship will enter the space of the Confederation. But since they don't want to end up in a two front war, they rarely enter into conflict with ships of the Space Fleet. However, there will be times when one of these ships is an exiled crew, or pirates, and will attack. Space Fleet crews never know which group they are facing.

As for other alien races, I'm thinking about including a variation of HPL's Yithians.
They will have to be toned down a bit for the game. I'm thinking of using them as an allied race to the confederation, but not actual members.
Kathulos

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Kathulos- interesting idea! Im not sure which direction I want to go. I would like a PC option though.
Blood axe

Postby gentleman john » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Kathulos wrote:uld keep them an enemy race. In the history setting it is mentioned that the Zangids were fighting a war on the far side of their empire. I'd use the Kzinti as the race they are in conflict with. Now and then a rare Kzin ship will enter the space of the Confederation. But since they don't want to end up in a two front war, they rarely enter into conflict with ships of the Space Fleet. However, there will be times when one of these ships is an exiled crew, or pirates, and will attack. Space Fleet crews never know which group they are facing

If you go for the Known Space version of the Kzin, then they have been manipulated by the Puppeteers over a number of generations to be less aggressive. The Hindmost says as much to Chmee during the Ringworld series. If you go for the ST:TAS version of the Kzin, while they are aggressive, this seems to be a trait of their privateers. Of course, the difference between a Kzin privateer and and a Kzin captain is just a matter of success in a mission. Finally, if you go for the SFB version, they are allies of the Federation. Just don't stand between a Kzin and a Lyran.
gentleman john

Postby BattleBrotherBob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:19 pm

It might be interesting to "mine" from SFB games. They basically have expanded on the same universe that this game uses. The original series, animated series, and Franz Josph designs.

Lyrans - off shoot of Kzintis
Hydrans - tripods triligy methan breathers
Tholians - web casting silicon life forms.

This may be where I take my personal gaming. Still digesting the rules now.
BattleBrotherBob

Next

Return to Starships & Spacemen