LL vs. OSRIC -- Which to play?

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

LL vs. OSRIC -- Which to play?

Postby Clangador » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:51 pm

I have been using OSRIC for the past couple of years, but I am getting interested in LL. Any reason I should play one over the other?
~Clangador

CAUTION: prolonged exposure to Clangador has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people. No vacuum tubes or other user-serviceable parts inside. ~{[(The End)]}~
Clangador

Re: LL vs. OSRIC -- Which to play?

Postby Leaf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 pm

I like LL better. It feels like a more cohesive and straightforward game.

But then again, I prefer B/X to 1st edition, so ymmv. ;P

Try it out. The no-art PDF is a free download.
Leaf

Postby Dyson Logos » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Obviously here you will get pro-LL advice. Personally I prefer B/X with AD&D add-ons to AD&D1e (having played a lot of both, I just don't enjoy the rules minutia of 1e when it comes to segments, weapons-vs-ac, multiple segments of surprise and a bunch of other items).

Thus, LL with AEC is right in line for how I enjoy my games.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby knightvision » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:Obviously here you will get pro-LL advice. Personally I prefer B/X with AD&D add-ons to AD&D1e (having played a lot of both, I just don't enjoy the rules minutia of 1e when it comes to segments, weapons-vs-ac, multiple segments of surprise and a bunch of other items).

Thus, LL with AEC is right in line for how I enjoy my games.

That's why I play LL/AEC as well. 8-)
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby Clangador » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Well w/ LL plus the expansion book, does that game play like AD&D like OSRIC does?
~Clangador

CAUTION: prolonged exposure to Clangador has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people. No vacuum tubes or other user-serviceable parts inside. ~{[(The End)]}~
Clangador

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:12 pm

You have to keep in mind that the purpose of the AEC is not to clone 1e in the same way OSRIC does. The AEC basically says, ok, what if 1e evolved straight out of B/X and maintained compatibility? The result is you get something pretty close to 1e, but without some of the IMHO clutter from 1e. You will find some differences. LL + AEC is quite a lot like 0e + supplements, but with options to make it even more like 1e if you want.

So it really depends on your tastes ans what you are aiming for.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Clangador » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Well I have this guy that really likes 1e. I am wondering if LL will be close enuff to it for him. We have been playing OSRIC, but there is some stuff in it I don't like including the lack of a monk class. I have been looking over LL for a couple days now and am seriously thinking about ordering hard copies of the books. The problem is we already have multiple hard copies of OSRIC and if we switch over to LL, it will be because I pushed it. I guess switch may be a bad word. OSRIC and LL look enuff alike that I could use material from both without too may issues (I think.)
~Clangador

Clangador

Postby austrodavicus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 pm

My gaming group played 1e for around 5 years before switching to LL and more recently LL+AEC. As far as the group is concerned we are still playing the same game and it's not unusual for us to crack open the 1e PHB or DMG, as well as the LL books. You'll never please the 1e fundamentalists, but for most who just love playing the game the biggest difference I think you'll find is not the flavour, but the fact that the game seems to run faster and smoother because it dumps a lot of the 1e clutter.
austrodavicus

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Clangador wrote:Well I have this guy that really likes 1e. I am wondering if LL will be close enuff to it for him. We have been playing OSRIC, but there is some stuff in it I don't like including the lack of a monk class. I have been looking over LL for a couple days now and am seriously thinking about ordering hard copies of the books. The problem is we already have multiple hard copies of OSRIC and if we switch over to LL, it will be because I pushed it. I guess switch may be a bad word. OSRIC and LL look enuff alike that I could use material from both without too may issues (I think.)

I think my best recommendation would be to look at the free PDFs very carefully first. This way you can decide of the approach will be to you're liking and to the liking of your player. Maybe show him also. the main things you will find different are a few rules that are executed differently in B/X, such as dice to roll for turning undead. Mostly, though, not too much is different especially if you were using OSRIC before. If you were using the actual 1e books BTB then you will find more differences.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Leaf » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:You have to keep in mind that the purpose of the AEC is not to clone 1e in the same way OSRIC does. The AEC basically says, ok, what if 1e evolved straight out of B/X and maintained compatibility? The result is you get something pretty close to 1e, but without some of the IMHO clutter from 1e. You will find some differences. LL + AEC is quite a lot like 0e + supplements, but with options to make it even more like 1e if you want.

So it really depends on your tastes ans what you are aiming for.

Yus, with AEC it's like 1e character options with the more streamlined inner mechanics of B/X. Which imo is awesome.

You don't have to mess with percentile strength scores or a huge list of ability modifiers for each stat, and it's easier to hold all the rules in your head, so there's much less stopping and hitting the rule book during play.
Leaf

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society