Shields

For discussion of the Generic Old-school Roleplaying Engine.

Shields

Postby Thoth Amon » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I can't find the base parry% for shields in the rulebook. I am assuming it is 25%. Does anyone know what it is supposed to be?
Thoth Amon

Re: Shields

Postby Adapt » Sat May 07, 2011 4:56 am

I could have sworn that information was in the book, but I just looked and I couldn't find it either. The Runequest SRD lists the base shield skill as STR+DEX, so 25% might work out to a nice average.

Info is here: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/srd/ ... kills.html
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby The Venomous Pao » Sun May 08, 2011 5:24 am

In the BRP Big Gold Book (and in Elric!/Stormbringer) the base chance for shields is pretty much 15% across the board. The "original" BRP (the little 16 page pamphlet from the beginning of time) has the base for shields at 25%. The game that was the actual inspiration for GORE (you know, the one about occult investigators facing down mind-blasting monstrosities) doesn't appear to have an entry for shields. They're not terribly common in the genre, after all. So I suspect that's why GORE is lacking info on them as well. In any case, I'd say somewhere around 20% ought to be fair as a starting point.
Old School, New School and other bloggy bits at StrangeStones.com
The Venomous Pao

Postby seneschal » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

The game that was the actual inspiration for GORE (you know, the one about occult investigators facing down mind-blasting monstrosities) doesn't appear to have an entry for shields. They're not terribly common in the genre, after all.

See, this is where investigators need to think outside the box. Next time the Lurching Horror shows up, they can go all Captain America on him! ;)
seneschal

Postby The Venomous Pao » Tue May 10, 2011 2:15 am

seneschal wrote:The game that was the actual inspiration for GORE (you know, the one about occult investigators facing down mind-blasting monstrosities) doesn't appear to have an entry for shields. They're not terribly common in the genre, after all.

See, this is where investigators need to think outside the box. Next time the Lurching Horror shows up, they can go all Captain America on him! ;)

Brilliant! I bow to your superior intellect, good sir :D
Old School, New School and other bloggy bits at StrangeStones.com
The Venomous Pao

Return to GORE