New LL class: The Chemist

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: New LL class: The Chemist

Postby Denim N Leather » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Revised:

NEW PLAYER CHARACTER CLASS – THE CHEMIST
Requirements: DEX 9, WIS 13
Prime Requisite: WIS
Hit Dice: 1d6
Maximum Level: 10
Attack and Save Rolls: As Cleric
Not all healers are tied to a church; in every city and village there are surgeons, hospitalers, tribal shamans, and the list goes on. Perhaps the most refined healer not associated with a deity is the Chemist. Combining superior alchemical knowledge with medical research, the Chemist is able to create compounds, tinctures, salves and extracts of vast power.

POTIONS
A Chemist can prepare a certain number of potions per day. When the Chemist ingests these potions, he temporarily gains the power of the equivalent level spell of the same name. The Chemist’s level acts as the equivalent caster level for the potion’s effects. If ingested but unused, the power stays in effect for one day before wearing off and being lost. If created but unused, the potion retains its effect indefinitely. It takes eight hours to prepare the necessary compounds into a potion and the Chemist must be able to concentrate fully for this period of time with no distractions. He must also have access to a Chemist’s Kit to prepare any potions.

MAGIC ITEMS
A Chemist can use any scroll, wand, etc available to a Cleric or Magic-User with a success rate of 50% + his Class level. If the Chemist fails this roll, the item fails to work and its use/charge is lost forever.

ELIXIRS
In addition to potions, a Chemist is also able to manufacture a certain number of exploding elixirs each day. An elixir is thrown like a missile weapon with a range of 20’ and does 1d8 damage, which is then modified according to the Chemist’s level and his opponent’s AC. At level 1-3, the Chemist can prepare 1+ his WIS modifier in elixirs per day. At level 4-6, the Chemist can prepare 2+ his WIS modifier in elixirs per day. At level 7 and above, the Chemist can prepare 3+ his WIS modifier in elixirs per day and the elixir gains a radius of 10’ on impact.
The Chemist’s daily allotment of elixirs can be prepared in the same time that he prepares his daily potions and under the same restrictions.

NOTE: DAMAGE REVISED TO 1D8.

CHEMIST’S KIT
A Chemist’s Kit is a small, hardwood box that contains 50 empty potion and elixir vials and enough medical and alchemical components to make a total of 50 potions or elixirs. If the Chemist attempts to create more potions or elixirs than is in his daily allotment, this represents a rush job. The Chemist must make a save vs Spells at -3 per additional potion or elixir, or the entire kit will explode, causing 6d6 damage within a 20’ radius. A Chemist’s Kit costs 10gp.

WEAPON AND ARMOUR RESTRICTIONS
A Chemist can wear leather armour or lighter. A Chemist is not proficient with shield use or any weapon larger than a dagger.

REACHING 9TH LEVEL
Upon reaching 9th level, a Chemist can create new potions. The rules for potion creation are the same as creating magic items (LL Core rules, page 126).

CHEMIST POTIONS (BY LEVEL)
CL = CLERIC MU = MAGIC-USER ILL = ILLUSIONIST

LEVEL 1
1. Cure Light Wounds (CL)
2. Detect Magic (CL)
3. Protection from Evil (CL)
4. Purify Food and Drink (CL)
5. Remove Fear (CL)
6. Resist Cold (CL)
7. Comprehend Lanugages (MU)
8. Hold Portal (MU)
9. Read Languages (MU)
10. Shield (MU)
11. Sleep (MU)

LEVEL 2
1. Delay Poison (CL)
2. Hold Person (CL)
3. Resist Fire (CL)
4. Spiritual Weapon (CL)
5. Detect Evil (MU)
6. Detect Invisible (MU)
7. Invisibility (MU)
8. Knock (MU)
9. Rope Trick (MU)

LEVEL 3
1. Continual Light (CL)
2. Cure Blindness (CL)
3. Cure Disease (CL)
4. Dispel Magic (CL)
5. Locate Object (CL)
6. Haste (MU)
7. Hold Person (MU)
8. Invisibility 10’ radius (MU)
9. Protection from Evil 10’ radius (MU)
10. Protection from Normal Missiles (MU)

LEVEL 4
1. Cure Serious Wounds (CL)
2. Neutralize Poison (CL)
3. Invisibility, Greater (ILL)
4. Fire Shield (MU)
5. Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser (MU)
6. Remove Curse (MU)
7. Dimension Door (MU)
8. Create Food and Water (CL)
9. Confusion (MU)
10. Ice Storm (MU)

LEVEL 5
1. Cure Critical Wounds (CL)
2. Dispel Evil (CL)
3. Quest (CL)
4. True Seeing (CL)
5. Atmosphere Bubble (MU)
6. Faithful Hound (MU)
7. Hold Monster (MU)
8. Teleport (MU)
9. Wall of Force (MU)
Denim N Leather

Postby Blood axe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 pm

CHEMIST’S KIT
A Chemist’s Kit is a small, hardwood box that contains 50 empty potion and elixir vials and enough medical and alchemical components to make a total of 50 potions or elixirs. If the Chemist attempts to create more potions or elixirs than is in his daily allotment, this represents a rush job. The Chemist must make a save vs Spells at -3 per additional potion or elixir, or the entire kit will explode, causing 6d6 damage within a 20’ radius. A Chemist’s Kit costs 10gp.

-----------------------------

The Chemist kit sounds a little too cheap( 10 gp) & compact.(50 bottles + components. Id increase the price, and either decrease the bottles or increase the size.
Cool idea though!
Maybe a chance to "identify" potions?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Denim N Leather » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 am

Blood axe wrote:The Chemist kit sounds a little too cheap( 10 gp) & compact.(50 bottles + components. Id increase the price, and either decrease the bottles or increase the size.

Well, I wanted to price it around what a Fighter's sword or bow would cost and have it last about as long. Perhaps cut it down to 20 bottles?

Cool idea though!

Thanks!

Maybe a chance to "identify" potions?

Oh, that's fluffy -- I like it! Same chance as using magical devices I think (50% + class level).
Denim N Leather

Postby Blood axe » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 am

Yeah, 20 bottles sounds more reasonable. 50 bottles in a box- the bottles must be the size of a Visine eye drop bottle.
Maybe have the chemicals "unstable"- imagine a Chemist falling into a pit! What?! AAaaHHhhh! >THUMP!!< >BOOM!!<
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby sniderman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Love it! Might I suggest a slight name change to "The Alchemist," in keeping with the whole fantasy trope?

It reminds me of a similar class I fiddled with back in the day: "The Scribe". Basically it was a magic user anchored to scrolls and tomes. Strong Read/Write Magic and various languages. Create Scrolls. Etc. Could cast any spell as long as it was in written form in front of him/her. Never really hammered out the mechanics though.
sniderman

Postby Denim N Leather » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:25 pm

sniderman wrote:Love it!

Thanks!

Might I suggest a slight name change to "The Alchemist," in keeping with the whole fantasy trope?

The reason I went with "chemist" (which, of course, is short for 'alchemist') is because it conjures more of the image of someone mixing potions that specialize in healing/buffing and separates if from all the metaphysical trappings of "alchemist". Everyone, of course, is free to name it whatever they like for their own game.

It reminds me of a similar class I fiddled with back in the day: "The Scribe". Basically it was a magic user anchored to scrolls and tomes. Strong Read/Write Magic and various languages. Create Scrolls. Etc. Could cast any spell as long as it was in written form in front of him/her. Never really hammered out the mechanics though.

I could see that class having some serious balance issues, unless you wrote it for a later rule set, such as 3.5, where it's much easier to govern the power level of what the Scribe is able to cast ...
Denim N Leather

Previous

Return to Open Workshop