The Force used in Fantasy RPGs

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

The Force used in Fantasy RPGs

Postby MythAdvocate » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Hello,

I run games for novice players and mixed groups over at my local library. To help get the players into fantasy RPGs I have been toying around with using Clerical orders/Deities picked from some of the Star Wars universe errata. As I am kicking this around, thought I would post some of my thiughts here and see what you all think.

Ashla (The Light Side)
Ashla is both a goddess and the metaphysical force of honesty, compassion, mercy, self-sacrifice, and other positive emotions. She is most often depicted as a shining lady, or more often as an overwhelming, but immaterial light. Those seeking communion with Ashla do so via good works, meditation, and martial arts.
Clerics of Ashla: These are the classic Lawful Clerics, and oppose the forces of Boga. They have a more Easter/Monastic feel to them and have numerous hard-to-reach monasteries. In settings with Monks, they are common sights in these monasteries.

Boga (The Dark Side)
Boga is both a god and the metaphysical force of anger, rage, hatred, fear, aggression, and passion. He is most often depicted as a serpentine monster or dragon, or as a cruelly handsome male humanoid. Worship of Boga is considered to be addictive, with cultists unable to resist its pull the more they were subjected to Bogas influence.
Clerics of Boga: Chaotic Clerics through-and-through. Such clerics usually serve Boga for the power that it entails, even as their physical bodies slowly decay.

What do you think?
MythAdvocate

Re: The Force used in Fantasy RPGs

Postby greyarea » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Interesting concept. Would you contract the alignment system to dark side, light side (and possibly neutral) instead of law, chaos, neutral?

Would clerics/monks/etc gain special abilities, access to spells, etc from belonging to either side?
greyarea

Re: The Force used in Fantasy RPGs

Postby MythAdvocate » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:42 pm

greyarea wrote:Interesting concept. Would you contract the alignment system to dark side, light side (and possibly neutral) instead of law, chaos, neutral?
Would clerics/monks/etc gain special abilities, access to spells, etc from belonging to either side?

This is meant for an "Old School" type game (Bloody Basic to be precise). So I would keep it Law (Ashla) and Chaos (Bogu). Druids will exist as well (Grey?), and will be the only Neutral divine spellcasters. I wont do the Light Side/Dark Side thing because I dont want to go too far from a fantasy feel. More "Willow" in feel.

Specialty priests and others who gain special powers do not exist in Bloody Basic. Goodly clerics follow Law and can turn undead. Cultists who serve Bogu/Chaos are Chaotic etc.
MythAdvocate

Return to Open Discussion