Advanced Mutant Future?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Advanced Mutant Future?

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:27 am

I'd like to see MF revised. Things added, as to my previous post. Mutations divided into animal, human mutant & plant. To me, plants are too far put there in MF & should be changed a bit.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:02 pm

LARS wrote:I just got this game. So maybe I shouldn't way in. I like the old school feel of the game but I could see skills being added. I also wouldn't mind a simple bonus method.

Welcome to the MF community!

A skill system is the easiest thing to incorporate into the game, as we can draw from a number of mechanics: form the Non-Weapon Proficiencies of the 2e years, to the Skills and Proficiency Bonuses of the 5e game. There was even an Dragon Magazine article for adding Non-Weapon Proficiencies into classic Gamma World.

Blood axe wrote:I'd like to see MF revised. Things added, as to my previous post. Mutations divided into animal, human mutant & plant. To me, plants are too far put there in MF & should be changed a bit.

Ever since I got The Metamophica — a rule-neutral book listing over 650 super powers and mutations — I no longer use the default Mutation table as-is. Hell, even before then, I would use modified 1st ed GW mutation lists, as it had more mutations.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby LARS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:04 am

Thank you for the welcome Malcadon. Also thank you for the ideas for the possible skill systems. I was looking for a general mechanic to build up my own post apocylpse sci fy world from when I stumbled upon MUTANT future. All I had to see was the part about stable mutants and remembered my younger days of basic D&D. Very easy to convert. Where can I get metamorphica or is it not available anymore? Not to drive you crazy I looked at 4ths encounter building mechanics and wondered with all the hit points characters start with. How would you build a encounter for players????

Thank you all for all the advice and everything you do
LARS

Postby Malcadon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:47 pm

LARS wrote:Thank you for the welcome Malcadon. Also thank you for the ideas for the possible skill systems. I was looking for a general mechanic to build up my own post apocylpse sci fy world from when I stumbled upon MUTANT future. All I had to see was the part about stable mutants and remembered my younger days of basic D&D. Very easy to convert. Where can I get metamorphica or is it not available anymore? Not to drive you crazy I looked at 4ths encounter building mechanics and wondered with all the hit points characters start with. How would you build a encounter for players????

Thank you all for all the advice and everything you do

Check it out here, or you can buy the hardcopy here, and its cheap. As its rule-neutral, the Mutant Lord (game master) would have to rule on how the powers/mutations would effect the game mechanics. The main mutation table is large enough to require a d1000 (roll like normal d00%, but with an extra d10), but it can be tailored to roll in different categories (e.g. roll 1d400 for Physical Mutations, 1d100+600 for Psychic Powers, etc.). It also list a huge number of random tables and procedures for creating whole new creatures, including aliens, demons and superheroes. Basically, the book's usefulness goes beyond just Gamma World and Mutant Future.

Yes, MF characters start off with a lot of Hit Points (a carryover form the early Gamma World rules), but at the same time, they do not gain extra HP per level. That larger pool of HP may seem like that would make the characters stronger, but that is an illusion. The notion of "game-balance" was not even an afterthought in game design: The party can survive an encounter with smarts, attentiveness or superior mutations, technology or tactics... Or they can get overwhelmed and eaten raw. You can have 100+ hit points and still get taken out by a weaker person armed with a death-ray gun, or a mutant who can project a vampiric- or death-field, eating the meat of a radioactive creature, gone to the Prometheus School of Running Away From Things with a falling 100-ton column, contracted mutant harpies form that three-titled stripper form Total Recall, etc.

When starting out with new players, it is best to choose from a pool of weak monsters; a mix of weak pack monsters and fairly strong single monsters, with no abilities that would overwhelm the party in short order or kill them outright. As the players get their feet wet, build-up the treat level. After the first game, don't be afraid to kill the characters over the player's own foolishness, as it would get them to play smarter — this goes for traps, as well as monsters. Also, the large number of non-mutant animals in the monster section is to allow Mutant Lords to create their own unique mutants: add mutations — form the mutation list or make unique ones — and adjust the stats as needed.

Also, I have a link in my signature to the Mutant Future Wiki. Its a dumping ground for house-rules and campaign ideas that is worth checking out.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby LARS » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:18 am

Thanks again Malcadon for all your help. I wonder how the encounter builder from D&D would work out hmmm? Well I have to work on stuff for Sunday. Thanks again.

Lars
LARS

Postby Willy Elektrix » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:49 am

I agree that there should be an expansion to Mutant Future. Since I've been gamemastering MF, I've written a lot of new rules, mutations, and races. I recently just published a 37 page supplement on DriveThruRPG called the Advanced Mutant Companion.

The Advanced Mutant Companion is my attempt to expand character creation and development in Mutant Future. Here is some of the stuff it has:

*74 new mutations. These have been organized into random tables with the mutations from the Mutant Future core rules.

*5 new races and 2 revised races. Play as aliens and cyborgs.

*100 backgrounds. The background system is a flexible skill system which encourages role-playing and character development.

*18 feats. Fun abilities like pets, followers, and renown.

*New equipment rules. Give characters something to spend their money on.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. If you have any ideas to expand it further, please let me know. Thanks!
Willy Elektrix

Previous

Return to Mutant Future