New "Things" sighted!

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Re: New "Things" sighted!

Postby segeorge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:40 am

The Looking Glass Selves (a name "borrowed" from Charles Cooley) started out as an idea for mystical assassins in a Majus scenario, but then I thought it could be incorporated into CRYPTWORLD .

seneschal wrote:Good posts. It was getting too quiet in the crypt.

I agree. Check out:http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3410.
segeorge

Postby segeorge » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:54 am

This weekend got me thinking...

Ice Golem

STR 8 (120) WPR 7 (105)
DEX 4 (60) PCN 8 (120)
AGL 4 (60) STA 9 (135)
PER NA PWR 100
ATT 1/90% WND 20
MV: L 50

Experience: 750

Unlike the man-made golem, the Ice Golem is an evil, self-directed entity, with an affinity for cold climates. Creating an Icy body around an improvised skeletal frame, such as a downed tree limb, the creature seeks out and destroys sources of warmth – from fires to living creatures. Ice Golems usually create a crude humanoid form of roughly 7 feet tall, although some sculpt their features into aggressive or horrific looking visages and/or add additional limbs (see Create Ice Body for variable WPR costs). With a body composed of solid ice, the Ice Golem is afforded some protection from many forms of attack (Armor Value: 15, Type C -- not applicable [AR: 0] to heat producing weapons; e.g., a flame thrower).

Found mostly in subarctic regions during the long winter months, some Ice Golems are able to survive the brief summers in the depths of mountain lakes or other near-freezing locales -- even if one half of its body melts, the Ice Golem can survive to reconstitute itself at Autumn’s end (if encountering an Ice Golem during the late Spring or Summer, reduce STR to 6 and STA to 7).

In inhabited areas, the Ice Golem commonly attacks lone individuals out in the elements, but will also target people in their homes, offices, of small stores. It will first seek to remove sources of heat to any structure before attacking its inhabitants. It may freeze electrical lines to bring them down, or use its massive strength to destroy heating equipment. It may attack people who investigate power outages or wait until a building’s internal temperature has plummeted before entering to kill any/all occupants.

Usually solitary creatures, it has been known for several to be in the same area. They may cooperate or ignore each other, but rarely will they come into conflict with each other.

Ice Golem Powers:

Create Icy Body – 30 WPR
With precipitation during sub-zero conditions, an Ice Golem can create a body for itself by accreting ice on an available frame, such as a downed limb – note that if one is not available, the creature can accrete enough ice on a tree limb to break it off. For a cost of 30 WPR, the Ice Golem can create a large, crude humanoid form, with two powerful arms and legs. For additional WPR costs, the Ice golem can further refine its appearance. The Ice Golem can hone its facial features into a frightening visage for + 10 WPR. Extra limbs (beyond the two arms, two legs) can be added for +15 WPR per extra limb.

Localized Blizzard – 30 WPR
Ice Golems are able to create blizzards in a limited area. They do this for several reasons: 1) it can blind and disorient its victims; 2) it can obscure the Ice Golems movements; and 3) if there is no freezing precipitation already present to construct its body, the localized blizzard provides it (so on fair days, an Ice Golem must spend 30 WPR to create a blizzard, then an additional 30 WPR to construct its body).
segeorge

Postby seneschal » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:03 pm

I like the ice golem. It sounds like something that could be the source of Indians legends about man-killing creatures in the far north (as if wendigos and Bigfeet weren't enough).
seneschal

Postby segeorge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks.

I considered putting in something about taboos in small Alpine villages concerning not allowing fallen branches to remain on the ground in winter -- something that could be brushed reasoned away as not being wasteful when they could be used as firewood. But that part never quite came together for me, and I wanted to get this posted while we still had a lot of snow on the ground!

What do you think of the name? I have to admit I'm not thrilled with it, although it started to grow on me after a while. But every other name I Googled came back with a reference to something else. Golem was about as close to something like effigy or figure that I could think of.

Scott
segeorge

Postby seneschal » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 pm

"Ice effigy" is alliterative. "Golem" implies something man-made. Your creature is more the hostile personification of a bad winter, an evil nature spirit.

Where is the Human Torch now that we need him?

Hmm, the ice golem exists to quench heat sources. Modern refrigeration equipment cools by pumping heat out of a given space. What if a golem somehow got introduced into a home refrigerator or store/restaurant walk-in freezer? What if a new line of non-polluting, low-energy appliances turned out to be powered by an army of captive (or not-so-captive) golems?
seneschal

Previous

Return to CRYPTWORLD