The dungeon creation game!

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: The dungeon creation game!

Postby elf23 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Nice one MedievalKnievel! The columns are much easier to read now.

Anyone else wanna add some wandering monsters?
elf23

Postby thekelvingreen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:02 pm

I've got my thinking cap on, but nothing as yet.

MedievalKnievel, thanks for putting together the pdf. It's looking good so far!
thekelvingreen

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:09 am

Looks great. Only layout comment would be to kill the outline box around the title of the first page, and to fix the widowed line at the bottom of the first column on the last page.

Also, everyone needs to be credited, and my map is NOT available under the CC. It is licensed for free to the project in perpetuity, but remains mine.

PS: what font are you using for the body text, it feels classic and elegant.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby MedievalKnievel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I was off at TotalCon.

The PDF was created using my standard 1-page dungeon template, which is why it inherited the CC licensing blurb. Sorry about that. Any suggestions for what to list for credits and/or licensing? I'm not sure what the complete list of names is of folks that contributed.

The font is Souvenir, the same font used for the text in the Moldvay books. I like it for exactly the reasons you list, and use it for pretty much every old school gaming related doc I write. Found it via this awesome page of TSR font info:

http://www.hahnlibrary.net/rpgs/tsrfonts.html
MedievalKnievel

Postby MedievalKnievel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Man, what happened to everyone? I've updated the docs to include Dyson's requests:

http://www.binkystick.com/~psiegel/gami ... -ruins.pdf
http://www.binkystick.com/~psiegel/gami ... -ruins.odt

Also, I added two more entries to the wandering monster chart:

3. 1d6 Giant killer bees
4. Insect swarm (bees or spiders)

I figured #4 could be altered depending on which side of the dungeon you were on. At least now there's enough wandering monster entries that they can actually be rolled on a die. Would live to see a few more though, at least a d6's worth. Anyone got some good ideas?
MedievalKnievel

Postby elf23 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 pm

MedievalKnievel wrote:Man, what happened to everyone?

Haha, I know! Thanks for keeping going with the updates MK :)

I'll throw in two more wandering monsters: 1d6 orcs, 1d2 giant mutant flies (like in room 13). At least we've got six possibilities now, which actually might be enough for a small dungeon like this...?

Hm, anything else needs doing? Should it be open game content? I guess so... In which case we can just cut & paste the LL OGL declaration, and state in the first section that the map is (C) Dyson. (I think that'd be right, yeah?)

Anyway I think it's an awesome dungeon and was really a lot of fun to make with you guys. I'll post the final version of it on my blog, when it's all wrapped up, and will run my group through it soon too!

Would anyone be interested in a second round of the game? I'd be up for it. (Maybe in a new thread.)
elf23

Postby Griffith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Great job, MedievalKnievel !

Wandering Monsters continued:
5. 4 Elves. They are searching for a comrade who went missing, lead here perhaps by a dryad? They are actually a group of Dopplegangers. They are bitter enemies of the Dopplegangers in room 9. The rival gangs of Dopplegangers will attack each other on sight.
6. 1d6 Thieves/Bandits. They are in search of old Gnome gold.
7. 1 Dryad. She will act the role of a damsel in distress, but try secretly to lead characters to room 8.
8. 1 Groaning Spirit (Banshee)

Rumors (roll d20):
1. An ancient hoard of Gnome gold is hidden in the ruins beneath the tree.
2. A beautiful woman lives in the tree. If a man should fall for her wiles he may never be seen again.
3. Orcs and Kobolds have taken over the old watchtower.
4. Orcs have befriended a Black Dragon. They have a stronghold in the in the dark depths beneath the tree.
5. An elf witch who had offended the gods was condemned by the goddess Artemis to spend the rest of her life imprisoned within the tree. Now the evil spirit of the dead elf wanders the halls of the ruins shrieking and moaning.
Griffith

Postby thekelvingreen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Wandering monsters:
9: 1 SPECTRE of some humanoid creature -- choose race or roll randomly -- the psychic echo of one of the cult's victims. It appears to be lost and confused, and doesn't know that it is dead; if convinced of its demise, there is a 50% chance of it becoming enraged and attacking the party.
10: 1 ORC, the survivor of the battle in 6. As a result of a bite from the giant tick, it has become rabid and feral, attacking with its bare hands.

I've just realised that these are perhaps too long for the table. If so, let's go for:
9: 1 SPECTRE, confused and non-hostile.
10: 1 ORC, wounded and rabid.

And some rumours, because rumours are fun:
6: Smugglers once used the old tower as a hideout.
7: The tree is in fact a hibernating treant. If you can wake it, it will give you treasure.
8: Some dwarves passed this way a few weeks ago, and headed in the direction of the old tower.
thekelvingreen

Previous

Return to Open Workshop