Wisdom-Intelligence- Spell bonus in AEC.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Wisdom-Intelligence- Spell bonus in AEC.

Postby tpkdm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 pm

I let Magic-Users gain bonus spells, by substituting their INT score on Wisdom table II in the AEC.
I've run about 8 sessions so far, and this hasn't wrecked my game. It balances itself out. Sure the den full of goblins or kobolds is going to probably be a cake walk if you can knock them all into dreamland before they have a chance to attack, but even with 3 Sleep Spells, lost initiative can result in a hit spoiling the spell, and one solid hit can put a low level MU down for the count. Remember, there are monsters that are immune to Sleep, so it's not going to do the haughty little wizard any good to have head full of sandman mojo in a dungeon full of zombies. Also, whats good for the PC is good for the NPC. So that wandering monster roll that comes up "NPC party" could very well have a magic-user with a full clip of spells as well.
tpkdm

Postby Dyson Logos » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:35 am

I find that since Magic User spells have way more potency in combat than cleric spells, handing out bonus spells to magic users cranks up their overall power, something the class doesn't need once it hits mid-levels.

If you feel they are being raped for spells, consider upgrading the number of level 1 spells they get per day by 1 - but I'm not a fan of tying the extra spells to Intelligence - they already get the XP bonus from high Int.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:43 am

Dyson Logos wrote:I find that since Magic User spells have way more potency in combat than cleric spells, handing out bonus spells to magic users cranks up their overall power, something the class doesn't need once it hits mid-levels.

If you feel they are being raped for spells, consider upgrading the number of level 1 spells they get per day by 1 - but I'm not a fan of tying the extra spells to Intelligence - they already get the XP bonus from high Int.

You have to go with whatever works for you. Ive been doing it & I havent had any problems- it might be different for others.

Wizard spells might be more potent in combat- but the actual Wizards are NOT. Compare them to Clerics- no armor, poor weapons, less HP.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Pelendor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:43 pm

I've always allowed 1 addition Level 1 Spell for both Clerics and Magic Users if their WIS or INT is 15 or greater. For the Cleric the extra spell is nearly always a 'Cure Light Wounds', while the Magic User usually picks up a 'Read Magic' spell. Both spells benefit the whole party, and certainly don't crank the Magic-User's power up too much - just let's them read the books of their trade.
Pelendor

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord