Society Newsletter--need opinions

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

Society Newsletter--need opinions

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:15 am

Hi all,

So it is old news by now that the Society newsletter has fallen by the wayside. Between non-Goblinoid work and Goblinoid work I had to basically let it go--I just don't have time for another publication.

So this brings me to my question: do you want a newsletter, and if so, what sorts of things do you want in it? What should the goal of a newsletter be? I need to be upfront in saying that I won't have time (generally) to write up material for it. I also know that having members submit articles is probably not sustainable.

Nonetheless I would like to start a conversation about this. Probably I will need someone to take the reins of a newsletter, working with Dave. I've had this conversation (I think, I'm so scatterbrained at the moment with a big interstate move next week for work) with both Dave and Tim Snider but I don't know if we really settled on anything. One idea I've had is to do a podcast rather than a newsletter, but keep up the roster for finding gamers. Time constraints are still an issue with a podcast, but potentially once I got it figured out it could be less time consuming to chat for 10 or 20 minutes about things rather than try to write stuff, format a newsletter, proofread it, etc. etc.

Thoughts or ideas?
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: Society Newsletter--need opinions

Postby Eldrad » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 am

Love the idea of a podcast. It could also be posted on youtube as well. The list was really the only part of the SOciety Newsletter I really read anyway but to no avail as there are NO local LL/AEC players.

While we are at it there are quite a few youtube videos feature podcast of live play and such. As my life has taken such a turn well I will be on the road podcast of live play are possibly one of the best forms of entertainment if ran by a great GM with a group of voice acting players. If they add other features such as music and sound effects it can be fantastic.
Eldrad

Postby finarvyn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:20 pm

I don't watch podcasts because my computer is so darned slow for videos. :(

I think the newsletter idea is a good one, but it's hard for articles to compete with message board forum discussion.
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 pm

FWIW do a podcast it it will be audio only, most likely.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Eldrad » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 am

Post your Newsletter in a Forum Post.
Eldrad

Postby 3llense'g » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:47 am

Eldrad wrote:The list was really the only part of the SOciety Newsletter I really read anyway but to no avail as there are NO local LL/AEC players.

I know how you feel! :D

I'm always looking for audio for my public transportation trips, a podcast would be lovely.
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby The Lizard of Oz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 pm

I don't think a monthy-ish newsletter necessarily as to be loaded with articles. Upcoming cons and con games people are running and want advertised, upcoming products from GG and 3rd pp (GG system-centric but all systems welcome), the gamer list, maybe a few flgs people recommend in their area per newsletter.... stuff like that.

An audiocast would allow for more freedom and freeflow of topics. Got any ideas on the kind of "bits" you'd like to do?
No man is more dangerous than one convinced of his own moral superiority.
The Lizard of Oz

Postby Wulfgar22 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:00 pm

The one thing I really liked about the newsletter was the list of society members and their whereabouts. Very handy.
Wulfgar22

Postby Eldrad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:37 am

You could have a heck of a news letter if you asked for submissions. Make it a Zine!
'
Eldrad

Postby 3llense'g » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 am

Eldrad wrote:You could have a heck of a news letter if you asked for submissions. Make it a Zine!
'

Wasn't it always a zine? I'm sure I've been published in it before. :) The problem is, you'd still need to edit the submissions into a coherent publication, and he just doesn't have the time.
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society