UK Games Expo 2014 - The Goblins vs the Volcano

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

UK Games Expo 2014 - The Goblins vs the Volcano

Postby gentleman john » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm

I’ve finally managed to recover from UK Games Expo 2014. Or at least enough to write up a con report.

UKGE 2014 was a fairly active con this year. In fact, it was the first time in many years that I’ve had every single one of my five games run. So, over 48 hours of con (Friday through to Saturday), I managed to run 20 hours of game. However, given the focus of this site, I'll only put up the Labyrinth Lord game.

The first game was the latest in the adventures of the goblins. For anyone who doesn’t know, the goblins are my go-to game for Labyrinth Lord, and involves the continuing adventures of a bunch of goblins. In the past they have tried to find a sacrifice for their master (and ended up burning down a villa while throwing roof tiles at passers-by), tried to find spell components (and ended up unleashing a zombie horde on a city), and tried to escape by sea (and ended up being swallowed by a Leviathan). This time, the goblins ended up shipwrecked on a volcanic island.

Following an innovative use of Boots of Speed to get their raft on-shore, the goblins encountered the natives of the island. Unsure of whether the natives would be hostile or friendly, the goblins decided to force the issue by terrorising them. After defeating a war party led by the native shaman (casting Hold Person on the shaman, then decapitating him, followed by an onslaught of coconuts dropped from above to force a morale roll), the goblins thought they were being worshipped as gods and proceeded to lord it over the remaining natives. This was merely a ploy to lure the goblins into (what was intended to be) the real adventure: being forced into the lava tunnels that ran across the island to be sacrifices to the local volcano god.

The goblins proceeded through the lava tunnels, pausing only to eat a swarm of coprophagous insects. Their progress was halted for a bit as they tried to avoid falling into the hot lava under a magma chamber, but the goblins were elated as they thought they had found a way out through a rock chimney. Unfortunately for them, the local giant spiders put an end to that route and forced the goblins to retreat back through the magma chamber and try another way out. This led to a fractured lava tube that was close to the surface - close enough that an anaconda had dropped in and was looking for a late meal. The goblins were hungrier, though, and defeated it in a pitched battle before escaping the lava tunnels.

So, displeased at their treatment by the natives, the goblins decided to wreak their revenge! They waited for night to fall, then returned to the village to assassinate the native chief in his bed. The goblins then cemented their victory by displaying the chief’s head on a spear and terrorising the villagers into being their slaves. However, in their wanderings, the goblins failed to meet the volcano god - who may still seek its revenge on behalf of its worshippers.

Sequel, anyone?
gentleman john

Return to Gamer Gatherings