I was promised dinosaurs!

For discussion of the TIMEMASTER RPG now owned by Goblinoid Games, originally published by Pacesetter in 1984.

I was promised dinosaurs!

Postby BlUsKrEEm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:20 am

I've had the idea for a "Valley of Gwangi" themed adventure for a while now, and I was wondering if there was ever a module or supplement that covered dinosaurs or other giant beasts. Right now my Timemaster library consists of the core and "Timetricks," but despite there being dinosaurs on the cover of both nieither have any rules covering Mesozoic monsters. Is there a Pacesetter product out there for me, or is it time to start homebrewing?
BlUsKrEEm

Re: I was promised dinosaurs!

Postby seneschal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Hmmm, the old Chill module The Highland Terror contains stats for a Loch Ness Monster-ish creature. Chill Things has lots of monsters but which ones I haven't been able to determine. As a Gwangi fan myself, I'd be disappointed if the Pacesetter game line didn't include something prehistoric somewhere. Check with Sniderman, co-author of Cryptworld. The new title promises to broaden the type of campaigns and monsters available.
seneschal

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Alas, no dinosaurs in CRYPTWORLD but I think it would be neat to have a bestiary through the ages sort of book for TIMEMASTER! Now that you mention it, it is a little weird to have dinosaurs on the cover but no stats for any!

Just checked, and in the module "Darkest Before the Dawn" there are stats for a "Daspletosaurus."
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby sniderman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Never sent any Time Corps agents to the prehistoric past, and only Darkest Before The Dawn touches on those themes. Dinosaur stats = roll a handful of dice, multiply by 37, then have them eat the players anyway.

Cryptworld's got some sizable beasties, but nothing T-Rez big! As mentioned, "Highland Terror" has the biggest creature I've seen in a Pacesetter product, so that would be a good starting place for calculating scale and stats. I'll take a look when I get home...
sniderman

Postby seneschal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Also, there has been a lot of water under the bridge, scientifically speaking, since the B-movie dinosaurs of yore. While tyrannosaurs and allosaurs are still the top threats, there are a lot more dinosaurs available to choose from for our prehistoric bestiary. Some are as small as chickens, but since many species may have hunted in packs even relatively "small" critters could become a problem. There were lots of man-sized or cow-sized killers, and all sorts of aquatic horrors, not to mention the large and/or armored herbivores, who may have been as testy as modern bulls and rhinos. Escaping a T-Rex only to be confronted by a horde of hungry Chihuahua-sized predators might not be comforting for hapless PC explorers. :twisted:
seneschal

Postby BlUsKrEEm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:13 am

Bummer, I'll check out Darkest Before Dawn. I have also been slowly building a Majus / Daikaiju campaign that will require some tinkering. The Gwangi game was sort of proof of concept game, or possibly a start to a Timemaster campaign if it was popular enough. Surprisingly I find it easier to model Godzilla in the game than I do a T-rex.
BlUsKrEEm

Postby BigJackBrass » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Adventure number five, "Dino Demo Derby," in Timestorm has stats for "Eaters" and "Peaceful Ones." These are actually intelligent Tyrannosaurs and Brontosaurs. It's the only place I've found stats for big dinosaurs in TimeMaster; and unfortunately it's the one adventure not available as a PDF.
BigJackBrass

Return to TIMEMASTER