Welcome to Daggerford!

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Welcome to Daggerford!

Postby badams30 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm

I typed up this big post last night, then something happened and WHAM! Nothing. So let's try this again...

Shortly after Grinkle gets the shelter up, a steady cold rain starts to fall, but the shelter is big enough that you are all dry and will have a dry place to sleep. For the evening, Grinkle busies himself with tidying up things, feeding Ruby and brushing her, and generally offering to help with mundane tasks. Marcus makes the mistake of setting his greatsword down for a moment, and Grinkle seizes the opportunity, polishing it and taking some oil to the blade. He seems to be in his own little world when given a task, and you find that his work is very consistent and good quality.

You bed down for the night, and surprsingly, your night's sleep is totally quiet. Almost eerily so. You all awaken in the morning, and not surprisingly, Grinkle is stowing the shelter and Ruby is already hitched and raring to go.

You set out again, and within a couple of hours you approach the old lumber camp and it's two desolate buildings. As you cautiously pass by, it appears that no one has even been by here since you all camped here days ago. You continue on, and shortly after lunch you reach the tradeway.

You proceed along, and as the day turns into late afternoon, you begin to think about stopping when you find a good place. There are campsites periodically (about every 3-4 miles) simple areas of clearing with a firepit, and most have some stacks of wood (it's a common thing on the tradeway to use the wood and replace it for the next group). As you start to discuss finding a spot to stop, You all spot a campsite ahead, a large one, and it is occupied by two covered wagons, and a small cart that has an enclosed back, and it is painted dark blue or possibly black, but you can't make out the details... and you count a total of 9 horses, a rather large mule, and what appears to be several goats - all tied up or otherwise grouped together. In the center of the campsite, you can make out a fire burning, and what appears to be 2-3 figures about the fire. You are quite a ways off, so you can't make out details.

You can continue on, or stop. The next campsite is probably 3-4 miles, and whether you stop here or there, you should be in Red Larch tomorrow late in the afternoon.
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm

"Looks like we have a party, gentlemen, Grinkle," Rory says to the group. "How about I scout ahead, to see if we'd be welcome."

Rory will use his thiefly abilities to quietly assess the situation, unobserved. You know, move silently and hide in shadows and stuff like that. :)
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Marcus, paladin

Good idea, Rory. If you encounter issues, we will be in shouting range, hisses Marcus, making sure they are in shouting range after all.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:01 am

Nahin - Elf

Nahin will put his bow across his lap and keep a sharp eye out. 9 horses... either they are moving them or there are some riders that are still about.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:43 am

Rather than re-type the whole thing... I'll just paste the summary that I sent to Tumblingdice, as he was coming back to report to you all anyway...

Approaching, you see that the wagons appear to be filled with basic supplies - flour, casks of booze, boxes of sundries, etc. The cart is odd, though. It is painted a dark. midnight blue, and it has yellow stars and white moons painted on it. The paint job doesn't look particularly good, and was obviously made by someone who wasn't a painter by trade. The cart has two wheels, and has a single door at the back w/ no window, and it has a seat affixed to the front of it, allowing one rider to drive the cart.

At the fire you see 3 halflings, seated, listening intently to an old human in dark blue robes with a pointy wizards hat on. The man's robes have moons and stars on them (matches the wagon) and his hat is bent in the middle, looking like it's seen much better days. He appears to be about 60+ years old, and has long white hair and a white beard that reaches clear down to his abdomen. He looks like he's telling a story or something to the Halflings, gesticulating wildly and very obviously engaged in telling some epic tale. As you move for a better view, you see two more halfling who were sitting on the other side fo the wagon, not visible to you. As you watch, he gestures toward his open palm, and a poof of fire and smoke comes from it - at which point the halflings start to cheer and clap. The old man bows and starts talking to the halflings, but you can't hear him.

The goats, mule and horses are eating and standing around milling about. Eventually the man in robes sits down and the halflings appear to give him some food....

The group appears to be mercants or teamsters (Halflings) and a wizard.
badams30

Postby Atomic Ray » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:50 am

Han Overfist, augur of Tymora

"Ah Halflings...twice the mischief in half the package...always welcome in my book...(laughs)...shall we approach?"
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby kjc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Jayce - Fighter

"Sounds harmless enough...Marcus,you ready to do the charming thing?" Jayce teased.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Nahin - Elf

Sounds fine... Nahin will approach from a distance (stopping about 40 feet out) to take advantage of his archery skills.
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:19 am

You slowly approach the campsite, and as you get within about 500 feet, one of the halflings at the fire notices your approach. He nods to one of his colleagues, and in a few seconds, they are on their feet, watching your approach. They don't appear hostile, just cautious. The old man stands up, straightens his robe and starts to fidget about his person, like he's lost something...

The halflings all have short swords, one at the back of one of the wagons has quietly grabbed his bow, but as you approach in a peaceful manner, they don't put up their guard. As you get within about 50 feet, one of the halflings steps forward, looking you all over very thoroughly, noticably pausing when he sees Dak, and despite the covering of the robe and cloak on Grinkle, he also gives him a second look. The halfling then looks at Marcus and says "Interesting bunch you have, warrior of Torm." He bows slightly to you and says "You look weary. Come, rest your feet by our fire. We have plenty of food, and you are welcome to it." He motions toward the fire, and you can see several pots and trays covered with some meat, fruits and veggies, and to Han's well-tuned eyes, some very exquisite cheeses.

I'm Braun. These are my men (Pointing to the other halflings, who nod and tip their hats) he remains silent for a moment, as if waiting for something, then he looks back at the apparent mage, still rummaging through his robe pockets and clearly not paying much attention (if any) to the goings one. Braun clears his throat with a loud "AHEM!" And the wizard looks up with questioning eyes, squinting, looking at you all, then his bushy eyebrows rise and he says "Oh, yes. Where was I? Oh, yes... It was hotter than 9 hells, and suddenly, this demon prince comes up to me and says..." then the old man trails off, seemingly lost in the details of his story...

Braun shakes his head and says quietly, "And this is Melvin. The Magnificent." Braun strolls forward and says quietly, "He's quite harmless, we have him accompany us. He was a powerful wizard at one time, you know." Then he looks at the wizard with compassion and shakes his head. Smiling again he says "Melvin! Where are your manners?" And the wizard instantly stops mumbling and looks straight at you all. "Ah, yes. I was expecting you." He looks at Han, sniffs at the air 2-3 times and blurts out: "Pickles. May I have one? I was expecting you, don't you know." And then he mumbles something and starts fidgeting in his robe pockets again...

Before you dismount, Braun walks right up to Marcus and says at a whisper "Sir, please excuse me, but the fellows with you (motioning toward Dak and Grinkle, especially Grinkle) are they safe? Prisoners? Please excuse my forwardness. They just seem out of place with a warrior such as yourself. But rest easy, we will welcome you all."

There is plenty of room to tie up Ruby and set up your shelter. Will you stay here? Any special actions?
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Nahin - Elf

I am Nahin... these are my friends Jayce, Han, Rory, Marcus, Dak and Grinkle. Gesturing to each in turn. We have just come from a keep about two days back. We are making our way to Red Larch. We would like enjoy taking you up on some food and story. Might I ask where you are headed?

OCC: I'm thinking we camp with them, thoughts?
Spanningtree

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure