Hobbit or Half-Man or Something Else?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Hobbit or Half-Man or Something Else?

Postby Aplus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm putting together a character creation/house rules doc for LL in the fashion of OEC (which is an awesome product by the way). My first goal for this doc is for it to be used by players in my home game. Secondary to that is to share it on the internet, in case anyone else might find it useful. On the list of nice-to-haves for the doc would be the ability to slap the "Labyrinth Lord Compatible" logo on it, since that is what it is written for. I would like to include a pointer to this game, since I am quickly coming around to viewing it as the best restatement of old-school rules available.

My question is concerning Hobbits. My preferred term for the little guys is Hobbit. I have no qualms about creating and sharing a document that uses the term, especially since I am not asking for money for the document or anything like that. However, it struck me that it might impact my ability to put the LL stamp on it. What do you suggest? As an alternative to Hobbit, for public consumption I came up with the term "Half-Man", since I already have Half-Angels and Half-Fiends, and because it's kind of funny.

1. Would use of the term Hobbit automatically disqualify the doc for using the LL logo?
2. If so, what do people think of "Half-Man"?
3. Any other ideas for what to call a Halfling besides a Halfling? I'd love to hear them.
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Re: Hobbit or Half-Man or Something Else?

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 pm

I know that the term "littleling" is used by ChicagoWiz.

Alan
Alan

Postby Adapt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 pm

You might want to carefully read the LL trademark license: http://www.goblinoidgames.com/ll_license.zip

"No work may constitute a complete game. For the purposes of this license, a 'complete game' is defined as any work that a player of a PC and/or the player in the role of the Labyrinth Lord can use for character generation and/or reference in game play exclusive of the Labyrinth Lord core rules book. As a general guideline, if the work is so complete as to make the Labyrinth Lord core book obsolete to one or both of these kinds of players, it fits the definition of a complete game for the purposes of this license. "

If what you are making is a stand-alone character generation manual that makes the LL book unnecessary for creating characters, then you can go ahead and make/distribute it but you can't use the phrase "Labyrinth Lord" when doing so. Of course, I am not a Lawyer. I may be totally wrong.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Aplus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Adapt wrote:You might want to carefully read the LL trademark license: http://www.goblinoidgames.com/ll_license.zip

"No work may constitute a complete game. For the purposes of this license, a 'complete game' is defined as any work that a player of a PC and/or the player in the role of the Labyrinth Lord can use for character generation and/or reference in game play exclusive of the Labyrinth Lord core rules book. As a general guideline, if the work is so complete as to make the Labyrinth Lord core book obsolete to one or both of these kinds of players, it fits the definition of a complete game for the purposes of this license. "

If what you are making is a stand-alone character generation manual that makes the LL book unnecessary for creating characters, then you can go ahead and make/distribute it but you can't use the phrase "Labyrinth Lord" when doing so. Of course, I am not a Lawyer. I may be totally wrong.

It should be okay from that standpoint. It will still use the LL equipment list and spell descriptions.
Aplus

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:45 am

Also, just as a point of clarification, that clause is in there because I would prefer to deal with licensed products of that type on a case by case basis. I'm not opposed to it in principle but I'd like to deal personally with anyone who wants to do that. The LL license is set up how it is so that 99.9% of people who want to make LL compatible stuff can carry on without any additional permissions.

So in short I'd be open to people making complete player manuals that are LL compatible with the logo, just need to run it by me via email first to talk it over.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Charlatan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 am

I'd settle for "Hob", it's close to hobbit and is already a kind of small, friendly goblinish creature. In fact I'm sure hobbit is a bastardisation of hob-goblin anyway. "Half-Man" can just be a slang term.
Everything I say is true!
Charlatan

Postby Aplus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Charlatan wrote:I'd settle for "Hob", it's close to hobbit and is already a kind of small, friendly goblinish creature. In fact I'm sure hobbit is a bastardisation of hob-goblin anyway. "Half-Man" can just be a slang term.

I like it!
Aplus

Postby jeff » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:54 pm

For Halflings, I prefer the term "self-propelled rations for the Half-Ogre".
jeff

Postby Charlatan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Aplus wrote:
Charlatan wrote:I'd settle for "Hob", it's close to hobbit and is already a kind of small, friendly goblinish creature. In fact I'm sure hobbit is a bastardisation of hob-goblin anyway. "Half-Man" can just be a slang term.

I like it!

Hurray! :D
Everything I say is true!
Charlatan

Return to Labyrinth Lord