Running a Fungal Grove

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Running a Fungal Grove

Postby KesselZero » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:05 am

Hi all,

I'm working on a Mutants & Mazes-style adventure and I really want to drop a Fungal Grove in there (MF page 72). My question is, how would you run it? The rules state that anyone entering the grove has to save vs. poison or fall asleep (and eventually get digested, I suppose, unless someone pulls them out). Meanwhile the thing gets a TON of treasure, which I imagine represents all the left-behind gear of everybody who's been digested by the grove over the years. What trips me up is that as written, once a character makes that first poison save, they can apparently just wander around the grove collecting treasure at will. Would you run it this way? I'm considering house-ruling it so PCs have to roll a save every so often-- I'm thinking every turn, then make them really paw through the fungus to find the treasure, burning time while the grove's prey scent attracts wandering monsters.

Thoughts? How would you/have you run the fungal grove? Also, this will be for a time-limited convention game, if that matters to you.
KesselZero

Re: Running a Fungal Grove

Postby Atomic Ray » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 am

I would think that certain areas would be lower, like in a valley, and thus more spores.

And high points would have less, maybe.

Wet areas, dry areas, etc.

So I would think that there would be a cumulative effect...each success starting the process over maybe?

Say make a check each round, each failure is a step towards falling asleep...getting sleepy...weak knees...sleep...and a save would wake them back up?
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Return to Mutant Future