Part 1: Murder Returns to Timber Grove

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

Re: Part 1: Murder Returns to Timber Grove

Postby segeorge » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:09 am

Webb
Very thorough, Hall -- that'll save some time.
And I'm happy to drive, too. Jack, Lucus -- what about you guys?
segeorge

Postby funfungiguy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:43 am

Lucas agrees to drive his Beetle as the third vehicle.
funfungiguy

Postby kmelion » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 am

Jack
"I'd like to tag along and view the interview with Baxter, maybe just observe. Not sure I can bring anything extra to the discussion. "
kmelion

Postby sniderman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:48 am

The time for the team's "appointment" draws near. Hal suggests taking at least three cars, in case the party needs to split up afterward.

"I can drive: I still have my rental outside. Who's coming with me?" Hal asks.
"I'll hitch with you, Hal," Magnus says.
"And I'm happy to drive, too," Webb offers. "Jack, Lucus -- what about you guys?"
"I'd like to tag along and view the interview with Baxter, maybe just observe," Jack says as he sidles up to Webb.
Lucas holds up the keys to his Beetle to signify he'll be driving separately.

The three cars (Hal/Magnus in one, Webb/Jack in another, and Lucas driving alone) pull out of the Holiday Inn parking lot and proceed up the road to the station.

The drive is pretty quick - less than 10 minutes to get there. When you arrive, you see that the station is fairly representative of small towns -- a short, squat, one story brick building. The police department doubles as the county jail, and this is where Baxter will have his stopover during his transfer. A parking lot in the back holds three Forest Grove patrol cars. You park in front of the police station, gather your respective equipment, and walk in the front door.

Waiting for you in the lobby-slash-booking area is the police captain, a stocky man with blonde hair shorn into a crewcut. His eyebrows are knitted in a slight scowl and his bushy mustache twitches when the five of you enter. (Perhaps in disguised contempt?) He waits silently while you all file in.

“Gentlemen, I'm Timber Grove Police Chief David Perry," he says when the last of you are in. He sticks his hand out by way of greeting, and you each shake it. His grip is surprisingly firm.

"Baxter's in route right now and will be here momentarily," Chief Perry says. "I'll take you back when he's secure and ready. You guys must have some impressive pull to arrange a meeting like this."
sniderman

Postby greyarea » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Hal smiles in greeting with Chief Perry, shifting his cane to the left hand, and shaking the cop's hand firmly and introducing himself. Once introductions are complete, he asks,

Do you mind if I ask a few questions about the recent incident? I imagine a small community like Timber Grove has a pretty low crime rate, especially with a force like yours here. Have you seen anything like this before, other than Baxter? Who discovered it and can we talk to whomever that might have been? Can we have a look at the collected evidence? I would imagine that we could perhaps provide insight.
greyarea

Postby merias » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Magnus introduces himself, then waits for the Chief to reply to Hal.
merias

Postby funfungiguy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Lucas looks about the facilities as much as he is able, and seems skeptical...

How secure is this jail? No offense, but this seems like more of a "drunk tank" than anything entirely nailed shut tight... Something of the sort where anyone you've got detained can let themselves in and out, and walk home in the morning after Sherrif Andy gives you a stern lecturing.

I mean, you're about to be holding on to a convicted axe murderer, who happened to be taking a brief layover in the same quiet little neighborhood that just happens to be dealing with some suspiciously similar axe murderer problems again. What sort of supervision will you be putting in place during Baxter's stay. It sort of goes without saying that Baxter would like to get out, but considering the possibility that a potential copycat might want in to pick Baxter's mind and get some tips, I would hope you've planned to take extra measures to keep these facilities secure...
funfungiguy

Postby segeorge » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 am

During he introductions, Webb will express gratitude for the Chief's cooperation. He'll try to gauge the Chief's reaction to his colleagues questions, but (for now) poses none of his own.
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:53 pm

[[During NPC interactions, we're going to roll SPECIFIC Situational Checks to track the character's mood. Everyone will be rolling versus their Personality ability. There will be an initial 5% penalty as Perry is anxious, harried, and troubled by recent events, plus he's slightly suspicious of the players. Additional +/- will be assessed depending on the player's actions. Here we go...]]

Magnus and Jack both lean in and introduce themselves to Chief Perry, shaking his hand as they do so.

[[SPECIFIC check versus Magnus' Personality with a 5% penalty. Results:
Personality ability: 52 - 5% penalty = 47 - Rolled 76 (FAILED) ]]

[[SPECIFIC check versus Jack's Personality with a 5% penalty. Results:
Personality ability: 56 - 5% penalty = 51 - Rolled 63 (FAILED) ]]

Perry wordlessly shakes their hands. His mouth drawn in a tight line.

"Do you mind if I ask a few questions about the recent incident?" Hal says as he shakes Chief Perry's hand firmly. "I imagine a small community like Timber Grove has a pretty low crime rate, especially with a force like yours here. Have you seen anything like this before, other than Baxter?"

[[SPECIFIC check versus Hal's Personality with a 5% penalty. Results:
Personality ability: 40 - 5% penalty = 35 - Rolled 33 Margin of Success: 2
Action Table results: 2 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 2 "Ability Checks" = M result (MODERATELY POSITIVE REACTION) ]]

"No, Timber Grove is a pretty quiet town," Perry says. "At most we might be called out on a domestic disturbance or a shoplifting call at Hal's Hardware, but nothing like this. And I was only 3 when Baxter killed those folks back in '73, so I barely remember all of that going on."

"Who discovered it and can we talk to whomever that might have been? Can we have a look at the collected evidence?" Hal asks.

"The bodies were found by the rangers who were coming onto their shift," he says. "Their bodies are down at Fenton's Funeral Home. We're using it as a morgue for now. Here are some photos I took of the victims." Perry hands over a few photos. The heads have been cleanly severed at the neck. "You can see how clean the cut was. This wasn't done with no axe. It'd have to be -- I dunno -- a sword or large cleaver. It's not ragged or choppy around the edges of the wound. Like a laser or razor took their heads clean off."

Perry shows you another photo. "And look at this strange marking on the heads of the victims..." A close-up of the victim's forehead shows a capital letter "L" carved in the center. "This symbol was on the heads of both victims. Again, a very clean cut, as if a scalpel was used. I have no idea what this means or represents. Baxter never defaced his victims like this."

Lucas looks about the facilities as much as he is able, and seems skeptical...

"How secure is this jail? No offense, but this seems like more of a "drunk tank" than anything entirely nailed shut tight," Lucas says. "Something of the sort where anyone you've got detained can let themselves in and out, and walk home in the morning after Sheriff Andy gives you a stern lecturing. I mean, you're about to be holding on to a convicted axe murderer, who happened to be taking a brief layover in the same quiet little neighborhood that just happens to be dealing with some suspiciously similar axe murderer problems again. What sort of supervision will you be putting in place during Baxter's stay?"

[[SPECIFIC check versus Lucas' Personality with both the initial 5% penalty plus another 5% for the implied insult. Results:
Personality ability: 64 - 10% penalty = 54 - Rolled 32 Margin of Success: 22
Action Table results: 22 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 2 "Ability Checks" = H result (HIGHLY POSITIVE REACTION) ]]

Perry stares at Lucas, then a smirk crosses his face. "I guess it must seem like you're stuck in Mayberry, but we have this under control. Baxter isn't being held here for more than 10 minutes -- he's just stopping by for this little "meeting of the minds" you folks organized. As soon as you're done talking with him, back on the truck he goes until he gets to the hospital in Seattle for observation and assessment. While here, he'll be shackled and immobile. Two guards will be with him at all times. Baxter's not going anywhere."

Lucas nods, and continues. "It sort of goes without saying that Baxter would like to get out, but considering the possibility that a potential copycat might want in to pick Baxter's mind and get some tips, I would hope you've planned to take extra measures to keep these facilities secure."

The smile leaves Perry's face. "It's the copycat angle that bothers me," he admits. "Except this doesn't seem to be a copycat in the truest sense of the word. These new killings are similar only in the fact that two people were beheaded in the same location. The modus operandi is different. These symbols are new."

"And I don't know what you've been told about Baxter's "demon", that he's claiming that he's being visited in his cell. But he says he's being stalked. The bastard is terrified, screaming that he's going to be killed by a ghost or monster that's tormenting him. That's why he's heading to the psych ward -- he's out of his mind with fear.

Perry leans back and smiles again.

"And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy," he spits.

Webb shakes Parry's hand and expresses gratitude for the Chief's cooperation. He gauges the Chief's reaction to his colleague's questions, but (for now) poses none of his own. Despite some pointed questions, Perry seems to have relaxed somewhat, realizing that the team is truly here to help and offer some insight into a situation that has him baffled.

The intercom on the desk crackles. "Chief? We're ready to bring Baxter in."

Perry stands up. "OK fellows, follow me." Perry motions for you to come with him and he walks through a secured door. You follow him.

[[To Be Continued in "Part 2: Interview With The Devil"]]
sniderman

Previous

Return to Forget-Me-Not