Ascending Armor / Thief ability

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Ascending Armor / Thief ability

Postby BlackSimon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi!
I am new here at this board and I am also new to D&D (might have played it a few times in the past but I didn't grew up with it and don't have good knowledge.) I usually played Dark Eye (DSA), but since it changed a lot over the past 20 years or so, I am no longer interested in this type of modern P&P with it's huge amount of rules and massive background story, so I thought Labyrinth Lord might be a better fit for me.
That being said, I already ordered my copy and started to study the PDF version of the rulebook. Two things came into my mind:

1) I wanted to try playing with Ascending Armor Class. Now I wanted to get sure if I understood correctly how you are supposed to apply it.

D20 + base attack modifier* (+ Strenght Bonus for Characters) >= (19 - AC) (+ Dex Bonus for Characters)

Now some people said it's supposed to be (20-AC), but since 9 is the unarmored AC, i guess 19 is right?
Now as for the "base attack modifier" that is just "the right row" in the Attack table, so a Lvl 1/2 Warrior would add +1, a Lvl 3 Warrior would add +2, while a Lvl 3 Cleric would add still just 1? A Monster with 1 Hit die would also add 1 and a "1+ or 2" Hit Die Monster would add +2, and so on? While this seemed to be quite logical, I wanted to check this by looking at the example fight presented in the rulebook. It says:
"Two orcs attack Wigbryht. One orc rolls a 15 and the other
rolls 16. They need to roll 14 or higher to hit WigbryhtÊs AC
of 5, so they both hit."

Wigbryghts Ascending Armor class would be 14 (19-5), if we suppose he does not have a DEX bonus. But if we suppose the orcs are Lvl (1 Hit Die), shouldn't they get a +1 bonus? This would mean that when playing with Ascending Armor rules as suggested above, they would just need to roll a 13 in order to hit? (13 + 1 = 14, would be fine to hit Ascending AC of 14, I guess) Is this right? Does this change anything? I got confused by it, for it seemed to me as if the orcs would hit easier when playing with the Ascending Armor class rule (which of course wouldn't be intended). But maybe this is just a logical fallacy of me because I did not do the math right? Or should you use (20-AC) to determine the ascending AC instead of (19-AC)?

2. Thief Abilities
What does happen if a non-thief character tries to move quietly, hide or climb a wall? While I can somehow understand that picking locks is restricted to Thiefs, I can imagine situations in which others classes woudl try to do these things as well. Now I already googled this and found these suggestions here:
http://web.fisher.cx/robert/rpg/dnd/thief.html
I just wanted to ask you what you think of these and If one should apply them to LL as well?
BlackSimon

Re: Ascending Armor / Thief ability

Postby bighara » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:09 pm

If you add the equivalent ascending and descending ACs together, they should total 19.

re: thief abilities: I allow a DEX check (roll your DEX or under on a d20) to be "quiet," but an alert listener (if any) gets a hear noise check. If the no-thief fails, he is plainly audible and no roll is required to hear him.

If a trained thief succeeds in a Move Silently roll, they are noiseless and guards, etc. get no opposing roll. A failure prompts a hear noise check as above (unless circumstances indicate the failure is more spectacular somehow :twisted: )
bighara

Return to Labyrinth Lord