Rogue Space Mechs

For discussion of other games.

Rogue Space Mechs

Postby Malcadon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 am

Rogue Space Mechs is an 8-page rule supplement for the 8-page rules-light sci-fi RPG Rogue Space (rules can be found here and the blog abut it is here).

The beauty with RS is how you can fight from vehicles, have dogfights, or even epic naval battles with just the core rules - just make attribute checks! But sometimes its just fun to have some specialized rules for things -- especially for giant robots -- and Rogue Space Mechs is just that! Like RS, it is a simple ruleset that adds little added complexity to the game. The mech construction (widely considered the best part of any mecha-themed game) is really simple and fun. It also offers a lot of room for adjustments - it even encourages it. So, here are my additions:

Torso may mount two pieces of gear (including weapons). This makes sense to me, as most mech designs have two items on their shoulders.

If the head is destroyed, the pilot may opt to lookout the hatch (the seat may even elevate like in Patlabor) or open to canopy to see outside the cockpit, in which case, the pilot is exposed.

[Optional] All NRC Mechs are Pintos: If a NPC mech looses all its hit points (torso HP+2), than it will blow-up doing X damage to everyone in the same hex. This is only used, if the players want to emulate the action in anime shows... and most movies for that matter.

New attack type:
Blast: Roll a single to-hit. Everyone in a target hex -- regardless of alliance -- is hit with that hit roll. Targets make individual defense rolls.

New Weapons
Weapon Part Dmg Rng Special BP
2h Melee Arm V — +Power Dmg, 2-handed, -1 initiative. 1
Chaingun Any (X) S Anti-infantry. 1
Rocket-salvos Torso M M Blast, 2 uses. 3
Grenade Disperser Torso or Legs — — Blast, 6 uses (may choose for each, see Grenade Rounds below). 1

Grenade Rounds
Anti-infantry Mines: Hits all infantry with X damage.
Smoke: Covers hex with chaff-lined smoke for instant cover.
Napalm: Covers hex in fire.
Fire-suppressant: Smothers fire with firefighting foam.
Flairs: Colored types are used for signalling. Can be blinding to targets with normal vision.

New Gear [location and Build Point cost]
Hoverskirts [Legs 4] Add 2 to Speed over smooth ground or over water.
Filght-wings [Torso 10] As Thrusters, but with greater length of flight.
Grappling Hook [Arm 3] May be used to climb, swing, trip, etc. It allows for +1 when attempting such stunts. It can hit things at 3 hexes.
Wheeled feet [Legs 2] Add 2 to Speed over smooth ground.
Searchlights [Torso 1] Illuminate wide area at short distance or a narrow beam at long-distance. Can be blinding to targets with normal vision. Always counts as an Exposed Hardpoint.

New Upgrades
[TMP] Booster [choose type 6] A one-shot boost to chosen system, with no roll required.
Submersible [5] Can operate freely underwater.
[Fire, EMP, etc] Resistant [choose type 5] Add 2 to armor vs selected attack type.
[Arctic, Desert, Toxic, etc.]-Environment Protection [choose type 3] Can freely operate in a hostile environment.
Armored View-Ports [4] If the head is blown-off, the pilot is not running blind.

New Defects
Cockpit Death-Cage [+6 BP] If the torso is destroyed, the pilot is trapped, and must be pulled free by a Repair Rig. The pilot might be endanger of burning or gas-fumes.
[Fire, EMP, etc] Vulnerable [choose type +5] Subtract 2 to armor vs selected attack type.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Re: Rogue Space Mechs

Postby Malcadon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 am

OK, I was looking through one of the Rogue Transitions e-zine, and found that the guy made some changes not included it the rule pamphlet:
  • Some minor rule-changes
  • Lots of examples
  • And some new items:
Weapons
  • Two-handed melee weapon (almost as I noted)
  • Flame-thrower (burn baby, burn!)
  • Shotgun (as Medium Gun, but short range)
Gear
  • Auxiliary Generators (adds more speed and Power)
Upgrades
  • Four-Legged (should have been a given, really)
Defects
  • Dodgy Computer (stat-sink for Targeting)
  • Weak Power-plant (another stat-sink, but for Power)
Not bad. They are all really useful items.

Yesterday I was looking-up at the design system, and I found a slight discrepancy with the T.M.P. adjustment for the Mech parts. Each of the three stats are adjusted by two different parts (Targeting = Head & Arms; Movement = Torso & Legs; and Power = Arms & Torso). Running-up the numbers, I fund that Movement and Power range between -1 to +2, but Targeting is between 0 to +2. At first, I was tempted to set the Extra Heavy Arms at -1 Targeting to note how big they are to bear on a target, but it would not make sense for Heavy Arms to have a +1 then suddenly have it at -1 for Extra Heavy. Then my other option was to have the Extra Heavy Head have the -1, and is also makes sense as that part can be so built-up with armor and reinforcement that there is not much room for senors and emitters - with Extra Heavy Head, you are paying for extra reinforcement! I was so minor, but now the stats are all synchronized, so I am content! (I am such a numbers-geek :ugeek:)

So I was fooling around with the Mech Construction rules, and I came-up with the M-3 Infantry Fighting Walker. This design features no arms or head (the driver is out in the open, so he can still see without it), so much of the damage is going towards the torso. It is best used by NPC grunts for the PCs to shoot-up. (Because of the Exposed Cockpit flaw, the +2 HP rule for NPCs are not warranted, so they should be treated as just having 4 HP). The basic model has no normal mech-sized weapons, save for a belly-mounted .50 cal machine gun and some dispersers. The whole thing looks like a motorbike with the front wheel removed and replaced with belly-mounted machine gun, while the backside is flanked by a set of "chicken-walker" legs with a set of canisters over them. The legs have wheels mounted at the toes and ankle, so when it "roosts" (lays down) it rests on all four wheels (think Gear Krieg). This mode allows it to move quickly oven even ground like a 4-wheeler.

The basic Model-A is so cheap, it dose not cost much (although Build Points have been round-up to a whole number), and is used as motorized infantry. The Model-B is for fire-support, while the Model-C is an anti-mech design. The Model-D is for reconnaissance (the civilian variant replaces the Grenade Dispersers with a searchlight, for Search & Rescue roles). And the Model-D is for battlefield repairs and engineering.

(Note: I am using the two items on torso house-rule, and a number of the items are my own design, from my last post. The name came about cuz I was goofy at the time.)

M-3a IFW "Skippy"
Initi: +0 Speed: 8 (10) Armor: L
T +0 M +2 P +0 BP: 1 (-1)
Part Size T/M/P HP (BP) Gear
Head n/a
Torso Light -/+1/+0 (4) Chaingun, Grenade Dispersers
Right Arm n/a
Left Arm n/a
Legs Light -/+2/- (3) Wheeled feet
Upgrades/Defects: Exposed Cockpit (+8).

M-3b IFW "Zappy"
T +0 M +2 P +0 BP: 1
Head n/a
Torso Light -/+1/+0 4 (6) Chaingun, Rocket-salvos
Right Arm n/a
Left Arm n/a
Legs Light -/+2/- 4 (3) Wheeled feet

M-3c IFW "Thumppy"
T +0 M +2 P +0 BP: 3
Head n/a
Torso Light -/+1/+0 4 (8) Chaingun, Missiles
Right Arm n/a
Left Arm n/a
Legs Light -/+2/- 4 (3) Wheeled feet

M-3d IFW "Zippy"
Initi: +0 Speed: 9 (11) Armor: L
T +0 M +2 P +1 BP: 6
Head n/a
Torso Light -/+1/+0 (11) Auxiliary Generator, Grenade Dispersers
Right Arm n/a
Left Arm n/a

M-3e IFW "Poppy"
Initi: +0 Speed: 9 (11) Armor: L
T +0 M +2 P +1 BP: 8
Head n/a
Torso Light -/+1/+0 (13) Auxiliary Generator, Reaper Rig
Right Arm n/a
Left Arm n/a
Malcadon

Re: Rogue Space Mechs

Postby Malcadon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 am

I have more add-ons:

Gear
Drone-Control Relay [Head 5] The pilot can control robotic drone units. Simple orders are free actions, while full-control takes up the pilot's concentration. The capabilities of drone units are left up to the GM.

Upgrades
Automated Pilot [6] This mech as an A.I. system capable of autonomous actions (human supervision is highly recommended). FASER (attributes) is set to F +1, A +0, S -1, E --, and R +0.
Neuro-Interface Systems [18] The pilot’s Fighting and Acquiring attributes are not reduced by 2, and may operate the mech as an extension of the pilot's own body!
Treads [Triple cost of Legs]: The mech's torso is mounted on the hull of a tank! Double the Legs’ HP. Increase Targeting +1, and speed by +2. Can mount Leg and Torso Gear.

Defects
Armless Design [+4] This mech as no arms. Power is at -1, and the mech cannot freely puck-up and carry objects. No Arm-slots available.
Headless Design [+2] This mech as no senors or targeting system. Targeting set at -1, and pilot's eye are vulnerable, unless infantry HUD/goggles is used. No Head-slot available.
No Hands [+2, or +1 for just one hand] The arms cannot freely puck-up objects or punch, but each arm is freed-up to carry a two-handed or torso-mounted weapon.
Unarmored [+8] This mech as no protection whatsoever. Roll no dice for armor defense.
Malcadon

Return to Other Games