Essential reading for the Zombie Apocalypse

For discussion of the zombie survival horror game.

Essential reading for the Zombie Apocalypse

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 pm

List some good books for Zombie reading!

Dead Sea, The Rising, City of the Dead - Brian Keene
Autumn - David Moody
Rot & Ruin - John Maberry
Dead City -Joe Mckinney
Day by Day Armageddon - J.L. Bourne
The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks
Reign of the Dead/Apocalypse End - Len Barnhart
Last edited by Blood axe on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Essential reading for the Zombie Apocalypse

Postby sniderman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:25 pm

World War Z - Max Brooks
The Walking Dead Graphic Series - Robert Kirkman
Book of the Dead and Still Dead: Book of the Dead 2 - Skipp and Spector (HIGHLY recommended)
Book of All Flesh, Book of More Flesh, Book of Final Flesh, and Best of All Flesh - zombie anthologies based on the All Flesh Must Be Eaten RPG
Cell - Stephen King (well **I** liked it)
The New Dead - Chris Golden
The Living Dead and The Living Dead 2 - John Adams

And, as a sourcebook, check out"One of the Living"for the AFMBE RPG. Think of it as a Player's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse. Tons of "how to survive" advice. Very similar to Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, only written with RPG stats and ideas. I thumb through it for inspiration all the time.
sniderman

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:59 pm

I wouldn't call it essential reading but I have been enjoying Mark Tufo's Zombie Fallout series as ebooks. I wouldn't pay what they want for the paperback editions. The first book is rough around the edges but the writing (and editing) improved significantly in the second book. I believe there are 4 books in the initial series plus a prequel. I have only read the first two. I like them due to the light-hearted nature of the series.
Mark

Postby Thakazum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I finally read the first two hardcover collections of The Walking Dead. Wow, so much better fiction for zombie fans than the television show. There's more character development in the show (maybe too much?). Anyway, highly suggested if anyone still hasn't checked it out.
Thakazum

Postby finarvyn » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 pm

sniderman wrote:World War Z - Max Brooks
I bought this the other day and started to read it, but I have a hard time getting "into" the book. Seemed to start off really slow and I can't decide if it will stay slow or not. Can anyone give a more complete review of it?
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby Blood axe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:39 am

I liked the series by Charlie Higson. The Enemy, The Dead, The Fear. They are "teen books" but interesting. The adults get some kind of virus that covers them with sores, boils,etc and makes them crazy. They want to kill and eat the children. The kids are on the run. A different take on Zombies.

Simon Clark- Bloodcrazy, uses the same kind of thing. Adults turn crazy and try to kill anyone under the age of 18.

It would make a cool Rotworld game.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby seneschal » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Blood axe wrote:I liked the series by Charlie Higson. The Enemy, The Dead, The Fear. They are "teen books" but interesting. The adults get some kind of virus that covers them with sores, boils,etc and makes them crazy. They want to kill and eat the children. The kids are on the run. A different take on Zombies.

Simon Clark- Bloodcrazy, uses the same kind of thing. Adults turn crazy and try to kill anyone under the age of 18.

It would make a cool Rotworld game.

Sounds like the old original series Star Trek episode "Miri," where the crew discovers a devastated planet inhabited by nearly immortal children who become scabby, crazed "grups" (grownups) when they undergo puberty. An ancient bio-engineered virus was responsible, but Kirk and Co. didn't discover this until they'd already been infected.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394905/?ref_=fn_ep_tt_1
seneschal

Postby jeff » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 am

You might also look for Zombie CSU by John Maberry. It explains how police would investigate a zombie attack.
jeff

Postby doctortoc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 am

Dead of Night, and the first Joe Ledger book, Patient Zero (both by Jonathan Maberry) are excellent. The first is a lovely idea of parasite driven zombieism, starting in a relatively rural area (you can see where Mayberry applies the research he later turned into Zombie CSU), and the latter is a very cool tale of bio-terror using weaponized zombies. Both have a considerable amount of useful and plausible-sounding info on how zombies might actually work and what is need to contain an outbreak.
doctortoc

Postby doctortoc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 am

I knew I forgot something. One of the very earliest zombie apocalypse novels, and still one of the best is The Dead by Mark E. Rogers (creator of Samurai Cat), which was absolutely chilling. It's genuinely post-apocalyptic, as the dead rise when God takes up the faithful in the Rapture and leaves everyone else to the Dead, every corspe on Earth now inhabited by flesh-hungry and vengeance-crazed demons. The bit where the characters realise they live in a world created and run by the Old Testament God and are therefore very probably damned is really creepy (and I'm agnostic). It's a cracking read, and really explores the idea that "when there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth". Especially nasty is the implication that in this reality, killing yourself before they eat you will only pitch you into an even worse nightmare, one that will last for eternity...
doctortoc

Return to ROTWORLD