Request for LL Digest-sized Books/PDF

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Request for LL Digest-sized Books/PDF

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

oldgamergeek wrote:I have made a LL and MF digest sized booklets using this open source program.
http://opensource.marten.dk/sider/pdf-b ... or_67.aspx
It works real well.

I printed out my LL books in booklet format (easy to do just using acrobat), but a true digest format book is quite different in format - it works best in single column instead of double, etc.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi everyone, to do this right I'd have to do a whole new layout for the books...not a task I have time for in the near future. Not to mention I'd likely need more art to fit the new layout. Sorry about that!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby scadgrad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:Hi everyone, to do this right I'd have to do a whole new layout for the books...not a task I have time for in the near future. Not to mention I'd likely need more art to fit the new layout. Sorry about that!

Yep, I figured that would be the case. It will have to fall on one of us "Designing Gamers" to do one up in the meantime. I think you can get by with the app mentioned a few pages back, but the font will be so small that those of us with dodgy eyesight will struggle. I suppose there are enough of us that we could do a fan effort, but even then, it's a good bit of work to do it up correctly as Dan suggests.
scadgrad

Postby Aplus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

What are the limits on what we can do? What I gather from reading the OGL is that we can use all the text and tables, but not the words "Labyrinth Lord" or any of the art from the paid version of the PDF.

Also, as I alluded to in my first post, there is (in my opinion) some slight reorganization necessary, in order to properly divide up the content into player books and DM books. This may be as simple as including attack tables and saving throws within each class' description in section 2. Given the extra width afforded by going with a single-column format, this should be easy.

This would be my best stab at dividing the books up:

Book 1: Characters (Sections 1 and 2, Perhaps omitting section 1 given the target audience) Should include saving throws and attack tables for each class.
Book 2: Magic/Spells (Section 3) Add Cleric and Elf/Magic-User spell lists at the beginning.
Book 3: Adventuring and Combat Rules (Sections 4 and 5)
Book 4: Monsters (Section 6)
Book 5: Treasure (Section 7)

Books 1 & 2 are the character creation books for players.
Book 3 is rules material that may be for players or DM depending on the style of the DM.
Books 4 & 5 are for DMs.

Not sure where section 8 might go, perhaps simply exclude it for simplicity's sake.

I can certainly take a stab at doing one of the books, but if we are going to do this as a group effort, let's get the requirements laid out first. Anyone else have any input on the matter?

P.S. - I hope I am not being presumptuous in assuming that this would be okay with Goblinoid...
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Under the terms of the OGL, we can re-release the material as we see fit as long as we stick to the Open Game Content and don't use the Labyrinth Lord trademark.

I *might* just go ahead and do that and produce a completely art-free digest-sized remix of LL & AEC. But that'll take a month or two of my spare time to get together.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Aplus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 am

I like the idea a lot as well, and one person shouldn't have to carry the whole load. Let me try my hand at doing Section 1, and I'll post it up and you guys can tell me if I have enough skills to contribute to the project in a meaningful way.
Aplus

Postby Aplus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 am

Here is a sample, which contains section 1 from the basic book. Let me know if I am on the right track, and feel free to point out any obvious noob mistakes I may have made. Any other suggestions for making it look nicer are welcome. I tried to keep it true to the actual book as much as possible though.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2qlP_ ... ist&num=50
Aplus

Postby Thoth Amon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Aplus wrote:Here is a sample, which contains section 1 from the basic book. Let me know if I am on the right track, and feel free to point out any obvious noob mistakes I may have made. Any other suggestions for making it look nicer are welcome. I tried to keep it true to the actual book as much as possible though.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2qlP_ ... ist&num=50

"Page is not accessible"
Thoth Amon

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Aplus wrote:What are the limits on what we can do? What I gather from reading the OGL is that we can use all the text and tables, but not the words "Labyrinth Lord" or any of the art from the paid version of the PDF.

That is essentially correct. What you do with the text privately isn't such a big deal, but if you make booklets to distribute (allow anyone to download, etc.) then I would ask that you not call it "Labyrinth Lord" and do a simply search and replace in the text and substitute referee, GM, whatever, instead of Labyrinth Lord. Sorry for the legalese, but there are various steps I have to take not just to maintain the LL trademark but also not to dilute the brand.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Black Wyvern » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:
Aplus wrote:What are the limits on what we can do? What I gather from reading the OGL is that we can use all the text and tables, but not the words "Labyrinth Lord" or any of the art from the paid version of the PDF.

That is essentially correct. What you do with the text privately isn't such a big deal, but if you make booklets to distribute (allow anyone to download, etc.) then I would ask that you not call it "Labyrinth Lord" and do a simply search and replace in the text and substitute referee, GM, whatever, instead of Labyrinth Lord. Sorry for the legalese, but there are various steps I have to take not just to maintain the LL trademark but also not to dilute the brand.

Would it be possible for a group of fans to do the work and send you proofs for approval and keep the name? I don't really have any interest in digest sized books but as someone that is relatively new to the OSR I can say that having another set of rules out there on another site would just muddy the waters more. It took me over a year to decide that Labyrinth Lord was rule set I wanted to use. Having a digest version with a different name seems like a bad idea for all involved.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord