Monster cards...

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Monster cards...

Postby Zevious Zoquis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Some old-school OSR publisher (hint hint DP) needs to do something like this. I would love a set of "collectible" cards detailing as many D&D beasties as possible. I'm talking cards reminiscent of those National Geographic dinosaur index card sets I used to have when I was a kid that you would collect in a plastic card holder with alphabetic seperators between them. The cards would be glossy 3 x 5 (or maybe even 5x7) and would have a nice retro image on one side that you could show to players ("you round the corner and come face to face with THIS!") and the other side would have all the data for the DM. They could be released in sets of 50 or 100 cards and could have several different stat blocks for different flavours of "the original fantasy rpg." I'd buy 'em all! :)
Zevious Zoquis

Re: Monster cards...

Postby sniderman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:44 pm

I recall the AD&D Monster Cards that were released back in 1982 or thereabouts. Picture on one side; monster stats on the back. Sounds like that's exactly what you're describing.

sniderman

Postby RAD Colin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-Nominated Publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine games!
RAD Colin

Postby Zevious Zoquis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Yeah I've seen both those before. The AD&D ones are ok, but I'd actually prefer a more "retro" look - b&w line art and so forth - and the info should be oriented in landscape rather than portrait. The LL ones are pretty limited in the sense that theres not really very many of them, they are one-sided and require a bit of work if one were to want to print them off in any sort of "collector card" manner.

A really huge set of cards all adhering to the same format and featuring artwork by some of the big names of the OSR (Mullen, Zeiser et al) would be really awesome. :) I know, I know. Dream on... :D
Zevious Zoquis

Postby elf23 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 am

Yes that would be an awesome product!
elf23

Return to Open Discussion