What are you reading?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Matthew » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:16 pm

I am reading Leiber for the first time at the moment; got a copy of Fantasy Masterworks 16: First Book of Lankhmar for Christmas. Quite enjoying it so far.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
Matthew

Postby petespahn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm

bat wrote:and Hrolf Kraki's Saga by Poul Anderson.

Best book ever.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby jasmith » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:53 am

Mach Front wrote:
jasmith wrote:I'm re-reading Leiber. I read Swords & Deviltry over the weekend and started on Swords in the Mist. While I enjoyed the F & GM series in my teens, I'm finding that I'm appreciating them a whole lot more, at 42. :)

Absolutely. When I read things, like...say..."Jewels in the Forest" as a teen, I thought: "Cool!". When I read it again about eight years ago in my late twenties I thought: "Holy S***, that's absolutely awesome!!!" (I'm thinking particularly of not just the prose, but the visuals of the their guide being smeared about the ceiling and floor, the frightened and wide-eyed girl walking across the stone field as Mouser watches and of course, the tower slapping down on the ground like the hand of an angry giant.) :)

Heh. TSR put out a module based on that damn tower. A friend ran us through a one shot and while I knew it was a Lankhmar module, I didn't realize it was based upon that particular story until it was too late! I ended up jumping out the window at the top, breaking my legs and roundly cursing the DM, but having enough hp to survive the fall. Good Times! :D
jasmith

Postby Buttmonkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:17 am

Skathros wrote:The Shadow Rising, by Robert Jordan. Like the Salvatore book, just reading it to see what the fuss is all about. And like the Salvatore book, i dont get it.

It would probably make more sense if you started with the first book in the series, The Eye of the World.
Buttmonkey

Postby 3llense'g » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Am I the only one reading comic books? :D I didn't read the whole topic. Anyway, 2nd and 3rd volume of "52" is in the mail, I'll be re-reading the 1st volume while I wait. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby knightvision » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Received an Amazon Kindle for my B-day. Hope to be reading a lot more! 8-)
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 pm

3llense'g wrote:Am I the only one reading comic books? :D I didn't read the whole topic. Anyway, 2nd and 3rd volume of "52" is in the mail, I'll be re-reading the 1st volume while I wait. :)

Where I live the local library has two graphic novel/comic book sections. One for young adults (read as teenagers) and one for adults. From the young adult section I've read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volumes one and two, Sandman: Nocturnes and Preludes and The Killing Joke. In the adult section upstairs I've found Watchmen, the Light Brigade and Fables: 1,001 Nights of Snowfall. There are others, but those are the seven I've read.
Agrippa

Postby monk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Now reading Altered Carbon. Sweet sci-fi, and good inspiration for adventures that include time-travel and weird science. Those aren't really in Altered, but if I stuck some of the tech from the book in my campaign, it'd certainly feel like weird science.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby monk » Tue May 31, 2011 7:05 am

Wow. I've been reading "Trails in Darkness", an anthology of Western short stories written by Robert Howard. Like Boot HIll + Call of Cthulhu. Amazing. Particularly a story about a lost race called "Valley of the Lost". Highly Recommended!
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby seneschal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Andrea Beaty, Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies, Abrams Books, New York, New York, 2010

Alien predators stalk an isolated kids camp. Unfortunately, they look like cute, fluffy bunnies ... until eating the camp's marshmallow supply enables them to grow to their normal 7-foot stature.

Tim Byrd, Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, New York, NY, 2009

It's Doc Savage (and his son and grandchildren) versus the Deep Ones in the Amazon rain forest!

A pair of children's translations of The Arabian Nights

Selected stories; each book has some stories the other does not.
seneschal

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion