Magma Kraken: How would you stat it out?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Magma Kraken: How would you stat it out?

Postby Agrippa » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:28 am

I already posted this on another site, but I'll post it here too.

In White Wolf's Exalted there's a Celestial Circle sorcerery spell titiled Magma Kraken. It summons and animates 10 15 yard long tenticles of lava pouring out from beneith the ground. Each tenticle is equadistant to each other and spreads out from a 30' radius. Here's the official flavor text.

"Calling to the Essence of fire and earth that roils deep beneath her, the sorcerer wills ten tentacles of lava to erupt from the ground, shaking the earth as they burst forward in torrents of molten stone."

As for level I'd say magic-user 6th or 7th.
Agrippa

Re: Magma Kraken: How would you stat it out?

Postby bighara » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 pm

So these tentacles are made of lava and attack? Hmm.

Is each tentacle considered its own critter or part of a larger beastie? Since it's a spell effect, I'll assume individual.

Give the spell a range of 120' or so, you don't wan these too close to you when you cast it. Duration? Not too terribly long, maybe 1 round per level.

Let's call them 10 yards, or 30' long (nice round number). That gives them an impressive reach. I would tie the number of tentacles to caster level. i.e. 1 tentacle/2 levels (round down). So a 12th level MU gets six tentacles, etc. Each pseudopod gets, heck, let's say 4 HD. That's probably a tad low for a 30' pillar of magma, but since there are several of them, let's nerf it a tad for game balance purposes.

Lets borrow from Fire Elementals, Flame Salamanders, Octopus, and Efreeti. I'd say the physical "slam" attack should be 1d8, the fire does an additional 1d8 damage (x2 for cold based creatures), anyone within 10' takes 1d4 damage from the intense heat and combustibles (paper, cloth) ignite. Items on a character get a saving throw. With a hit, a tentacle can constrict for an additional 1d8 per round (+ the 1d8 fire damage). The tentacles are vulnerable to water or cold attacks, taking x2 damage. Immersing in a large quantity of water or ice/snow (e.g. a river or avalanche or a water elemental) hardens the lava into rock, destroying them.

PS- I'd say 7th level+
bighara

Return to Labyrinth Lord