Wanting to run LL/AEC Online; chat or Open RPG?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Wanting to run LL/AEC Online; chat or Open RPG?

Postby scadgrad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Or is there something else out there? I'm thinking about using my Sunday evening online office hours (I'm a college prof that has a few internet classes) as an opportunity for more gaming. So, at present, I'm thinking Dragonsfoot chat is probably the most available and then post imagery to my Photobucket acct as needed. I've looked at Open RPG, but I don't think it is Mac friendly.

So, any advice from someone who has tried this before? I'm eager to get started.
scadgrad

Re: Wanting to run LL/AEC Online; chat or Open RPG?

Postby Denim N Leather » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 am

I use a webcam & Skype for one of my players that lives out of state. I use a free forum for posting pics and maps. Die rolls he does with actual dice and reports the results. We use the honour system, and he's honest with his rolls. Works a treat.
Denim N Leather

Postby scadgrad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

We're going to try to do OpenRPG with Dragonsfoot chat as a fall back. Depending on how many slots I have, I may post the game in the forum for those who would be interested in joining in the madness.
scadgrad

Postby scadgrad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:52 pm

OK, spent quite a few hours tooling around with MapTool and it seems the better solution. Maybe it's just me, but Java seems more failsafe than Python in terms of ease of deployment, reliability of install, etc.

Now I have to figure out this "port forwarding" thingie.
scadgrad

Postby scadgrad » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:53 pm

We had our first session last Sunday and have since added some more players. For those who are curious, MapTool seems to be the ideal solution as far as a free app goes. We played our first session with chat only, got chargen done w/ little struggle, then jumped right in to a little mod from DCC #29. I would imagine after taking care of this mod, the party will move on to the massive halls of Stonehell.
scadgrad

Postby scadgrad » Sun May 08, 2011 1:45 am

UPDATE
For anyone needing advice, I finally got this running and it has been a smashing success. My group has been using MapTool and Vent for voice coms and it's all came together surprisingly easy. Anyone have any questions about it, fire me an email or throw a post in this thread.
scadgrad

Postby Niccodaemus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 pm

I want to get a game going online. I've downloaded Maptools, and I'm planning on using Skype.

I live in a fairly rural area, so any game will take me at least 40 minutes to get to. I figured playing from home was the best option.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated!
Niccodaemus

Postby 3llense'g » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Here is something I recently bumped into, haven't had the chance yet to try it: Google+ has free video (or just audio) chat.

Here's Zak telling you all about it.
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby jasmith » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 pm

3llense'g wrote:Here is something I recently bumped into, haven't had the chance yet to try it: Google+ has free video (or just audio) chat.

Here's Zak telling you all about it.

Constantcon is picking up steam and Google+ would be a really good choice.
jasmith

Return to Open Discussion