Casual Banter (In-character conversations)

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

Casual Banter (In-character conversations)

Postby sniderman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:09 am

To keep the main narrative from bogging down with between-character conversations, use this forum for such interactions. If you want to share your character and/or his background and skills, feel free to do so here. Also, this would be a good place to discuss plans of action, anything you may have discovered, etc. Please keep it in-character (do not post stats and numbers).
sniderman

Re: Casual Banter (In-character conversations)

Postby funfungiguy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 am

I've got a news article here on Baxter's original crime and sentencing, guys. Six killings... Four males, two females... claims he was protecting his property after they found the bodies in shallow graves around his dump in the woods... Here's the article if anyone wants to browse it.

Timber Grove Gazette December 21, 1973

“Paul Bunyon Killer” Sentenced To Life Without Parole

TIMBER GROVE, OREGON – Logan Baxter – no known previous address – was sentenced to life without parole in the Oregon State Penitentiary for his role in the Paul Bunyon Butcher Murders in April of this year. Baxter was found guilty of murdering six visitors to the Tillamook State Forest with a hand axe.

While police were investigating the disappearance of Stephanie Stevens, Roger and Rebecca Simmons, Paul Monroe, Jarrod Parker, and Will Barnes, they discovered Baxter living in a ramshackle structure deep in the state forest. The bodies of all six victims were found beheaded and buried in shallow graves around the small shack. When his motives were questioned, Baxter stated that he was simply “protecting his property,” as he felt the state forest was his land. Baxter had been in trouble with police in the past for assault, theft, and vagrancy.

When asked by Judge John Myers if he had anything to say before being sentenced for the six killings, Baxter smiled as if he was in on some private joke and shook his head.

A memorial for the six victims was erected at the site of the murders in Tillamook State Forest as a tribute of remembrance.
funfungiguy

Postby merias » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:54 am

Magnus

"Interesting, eh? We'll want to compare the method and location of the most recent killings with these. We can stop at the ranger station, when we get around to visting the State Forest."
merias

Postby segeorge » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:52 pm

David Webber

Yes, very interesting.
So, Baxter didn’t mention a “demon” in ’73. But apparently he said that "protecting his property" was his motive. The article mentions that the bodies were “buried around” his shack. I wonder if “around” means “in the vicinity” or “circling.” And was he “protecting his property” from those he killed, or with those he killed? Could the corpses have been meant as some kind of magical protection from this “demon”?

Addressing Hal: What do you think, professor? Have you ever heard of anything like that?

Then, to no one in particular, I wonder if we can get the original police report to confirm the specific arrangement of the bodies. Alternatively, that might be in the trial transcript, which could be useful in any event; it should be public record and easy enough to get. I’ll volunteer to make that my homework for the evening – besides, I left my Kindle at home.

Using his smart phone, Web checks to see if the transcript is available online – otherwise he tries to find a point of contact to request the transcript.
segeorge

Postby funfungiguy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 am

What is eveyones ideas regarding when we should head out, and how many vehicles should we take? I wonder if we shouldn't go inat least a couple of carloads though, in case we decide later on to follow separate leads or something Lucas says.
funfungiguy

Postby segeorge » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 am

David Webber
That makes sense; we could cover more ground that way. Although I suggest we all canvas the crime scene as a group -- strength in numbers.
segeorge

Postby kmelion » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Jack
"Fascinating, I'll feel better once we have more info. Something running around snipping off heads in this manner is a bit unnerving."
kmelion

Postby funfungiguy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:07 am

Ahem... Yep... Lucas says, and quietly whistles a nonsensical bit of tune...
funfungiguy

Postby funfungiguy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:41 am

Lucas
I'll drive the third vehicle then. Anyone's welcome to ride with me if they want though the back seat of the Beetle might be a bit cramped.
funfungiguy

Postby merias » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47 pm

greyarea wrote:I say we have two teams. One group researches this seventh victim, first using the missing persons data and then with out other resources once we have a name. The other searches the area where the other six bodies were found, we might have enough to go on with the gold rock and smells. Perhaps the flowers were planted near or over her makeshift grave.

"Good idea, Hal, I'll tag along with someone who is driving to the murder site," Magnus says.
merias

Next

Return to Forget-Me-Not