Uprooted - A Mutant Plant PbP game

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Uprooted - A Mutant Plant PbP game

Postby Thakazum » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:09 pm

The Final Battle
The chimes and bells of the city ringing all at once could only mean one thing - get out, the battle is lost.

The city of Root was in flames and the fort, the last place of refuge for what remained of its citizens, was being overrun. The Fungoid mind-knights roamed through the once-green streets atop their lumbering reptillian mounts, known as krawlers. They were accompanied by their enslaved mammalian homo erectus army, primitive hairless apes who were sacking and burning the once-beautiful city with it’s wood-and-stone buildings all with layers of vines, grasses and small trees growing on and through them. The seedlings playing in the flower-lined streets were long gone, replaced by the dead and dying of the Free Companies and the civilians trying to flee.

It has been a long night of fighting but the sun is beginning to crawl into the permanent orange haze of the sky. The Fungoids don't tolerate the daylight but there doesn't appear any sign of them letting up as they press on with their imminent victory.

The City of Root
Root was built on a large hill that juts out of the surrounding evergreen forest. A creek runs through the northeast of town as it bends from the north to the southeast. Once the mutated plant civilization began to grow from it's early days of being a temporary meeting and market place, it's population exploded and the plants were on track to building a strong and peaceful nation before the trouble with the Fungoids.

It's citizens are made up of plants of disparate origins and strains - cacti, evergreens, vines, bushes, weeds and an endless variety of others. Scholars theorize that an ancient race of beings brought the original seeds from the world together in one place. The religious Brotherhood believe the Wind Spirit swept their ancient ancestors to this central home when the elemental spirits created the world.

Factions

• The militia of the Free Companies. Bands of warriors, sometimes mercenaries and other times volunteer squads.
  • The twelve schools of the druid-monk Brotherhood of Growth.
  • The Collegiate, a small group of academics, scholars and historians.
  • A crime family of mutant cacti - the Xix.

Surrounding Region
The immediate lands around Root were primarily made up of small plant communities and individuals, tending to the land and it's creatures. These are likely all burned to the ground by the Fungoids as they waged their genocidal war against the plant people. If it wasn't for the storms of the rainy seasons, it's likely the entire countryside would already be a ruined mess.

A few kilometers to the north lies the shore of Murky Lake, a giant body of warm water whose foamy waves lap at the rocky beaches. Within sight of the city, to the east, is a 15' wall running from north to south. No one dares approach the wall due to the high levels of radiation that guard it from all life. There are marshlands that lie to the south, where the Fungoids came from. The scrublands stretch off to the west.

Character Creation

• All characters must be Mutant Plants. Have some fun deciding what kind you are.
  • Think about how your character fits in with the factions of the city, if at all.
  • As a group, come up with some reason that you're all together and what part you played during the invasion.
  • Abilities: Roll 3d6 six times and arrange how you want.
  • Starting money: Roll 3d6 and multiply by 10.
  • Mutations: If you roll the plant mutations with asterisks, just re-roll the mutation. When it comes to the human and animal mutations for your plant character, re-roll on ones that don’t make logical sense. For example, getting Mind Reflection (Defective) if you have don’t have a mental attack. Otherwise, just consult with me if you aren't happy with what you roll up.
Thakazum

Re: Uprooted - A Mutant Plant PbP game

Postby Adapt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:00 pm

This sounds great! Count me in! I am heading out of town for a couple of days but I'll get a character rolled up as soon as I get back.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Thakazum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Unappealing to everyone?
Thakazum

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:00 pm

How many players do you need? Ive been thinking of joining- I just havent had a chance to roll up a character.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Thakazum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:05 pm

No set number - I can even manage just one if need be ;-) This isn't a published adventure and I can easily tweak encounters to fit the number of players. If someone wants to join after it gets going, that's fine too.
Thakazum

Postby greyarea » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Could I reuse my Kernal Kobb character?

Kernel Kobb

Race: Mutant Plant
Hit Points: 37
Armor Class: 7
Alignment: Chaotic

STR: 10
DEX: 16 (-2 AC / +2 missile attack)
CON: 12
INT: 17 (+10% technology)
WIL: 16
CHA: 21 (reaction adjustment -3 / Retainers 10 / Retainer Morale 11)

Languages: Common, cornish

Mutations:
Free Movement
Projectile Thorns (corn kernels)
Neural Telepathy
Animate Seeds

Kit
none
greyarea

Postby Thakazum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Kind of corny (*rimshot*) but of course! How did you roll a 21, though?

Also, if you rolled up Free Movement and Animate Seeds, re-roll those plant mutations. The MF rules talk about those particular mutations.

These mutations are either inappropriate to PC plants, or are assumed to already be present on all PCs.

Otherwise, gear up!
Thakazum

Postby greyarea » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:23 am

I don't recall how I rolled that one -- maybe I subtracted something to add it. It was a while ago that I made the character. I'll gladly reroll it or make it GM's choice as to what that is.

Rolled 14 and 43, which would be Carnivore and Grenade-like Fruit. Want to make a judgement on that, DM?
greyarea

Postby Thakazum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 am

Just leave the abilities as they are.

With Carnivore, go ahead and roll for number of mouths or just leave it at one - whichever fits your character more. Grenade-Like Fruit's chance to explode depends on the height of your character, which we can assume is medium since there aren't any size-related mutations. That chance is 45%.

I love the thought of Kernel with Grenade-Like Fruit!
Thakazum

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:43 am

POP-corn!!!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Next

Return to Mutant Future