Legendary Artifact Weapons

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Legendary Artifact Weapons

Postby Agrippa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 am

Through out myth, legend and modern fiction there have been weapons of imense power and glory. These weapons are the stuff of legends, wielded by mighty warriors or great sages. From Stormbringer to Excalibur, each of these weapons has a history and the power to infulence it. Now I'd like you to realize that these weapons use a combination of LL/D&D and Mutant Future rules so if they look overpowered to you at least you'll know why. This also assumes that you're substituting Wisdom with Willpower. The weapons in this thread can come from any source of fantasy one can imagine, whether high or low, sword an sorcerery or science fantasy. It also encompasses multiple media from epic poems and mythic sagas to manga, wetern comic book, cartoons and pulps. Video games are also fair game. So with no further ado, a set of artifacts that could be best described in the worlds they come from as legendary.

Excailbur/Caladbolg

Excalibur or Caladbolg is a large two-handed sword whose hilt is emblazened with the image of two firebreathing chimera facing towards the point of the blade. The blade is long and straight, with a fuller running from it's firey tang to a scant three inches from its tip. When swung Excalibur often forms an almost semi-circular arc, almost like that of a rainbow. A single simple swing of the blade can lay waste to several combatants and cut through stone walls. With a single act of will the blade's wielder can cause the blade to glow with the light of 30 torches. This is a weapon of mighty warrior chiefs and kings, from Fergus mac Róich all the way to Arthur, King of Britans.

Damage: 1d10+16

Extras: Ignores the first 2 points of AC from armor and anything that might reduce damage. Damages structures as if it were a siege weapon. When glowing, the light from Excalibur blinds all enemies within 60 feet who fail a save vs. Spells (or Energy Attacks). It also grants a +3 to attack.

Restrictions/Complications: Must be a great warrior and leader of men, whether of royal or common birth and ever since Merlin's enchantment upon it no one may use Excalibur for evil purposes.

Notable Owners: Fergus mac Róich, Fergus mac Leda, King Uther Pendragon and King Arthur Pendragon.

Princess Guard

The Princess Guard is a 5' 6" long staff, one third red, one third black and one third steel-gray in color. The cap is a medium-sized ruby framed with a durable silver-colored metal that tapers to a point. Fused to the silvery portion of the staff is a stylized pair of wings crafted from a seeming golden material, either orichalcum or some version of artificer gold. This staff was crafted roughly 2,500 years ago by cetra artificers for their greatest sorceresses. It's noted that the offensive power of the Princess Guard increases when those whom it's wielder holds dear or wishes to protect are gravely imperiled if not already dead.

Damage: 1d6+8 (more for each ally or protectorate on the scene dead, unconscious or incapacitated)

Extras: -3 to hit point damage suffered and +5 to Willpower and to caster level. It also has three linked materia slots and one single slot.* Three times per day the Princess Guard may be used in an attempt to exorcise an evil spirit (incorporeal undead, demon or elder spawn) from a living host. In normal D&D terms the spirit must pass a save vs. Spells or be driven from its host. If using Mutant Future then the wielder must make a successful mental attack to perform the exorcism. In addition demons, undead and malignant elder things take a -5 penalty to saves against all spells cast by the Princess Guard's wielder and all offensive spells inflict maximum damage against such creatures. By the same token all healing spells heal the maximum amount of damage.

Restrictions/Complications: Wielder must be Good in alignment and primary spellcaster, either a cleric, magic-user, sorcerer or elf. Must also be female and at least 13th level in your respective class. Otherwise treat it as a normal non-magical quaterstaff.

*May not be relavent to your campaign.

Notable Owner: Aerith Gainsborough

Staff of Solomon
To be completed

Stormbringer

I am the Black Blade,
forged a million billion years ago.
My cosmic soul goes on for eternity,
carving out destiny.
Bringing in the Lords of Chaos
brining up the beasts of Hades.
Sucking out the souls of heroes,
laying waste to knights and ladies.
My master is my slave.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
You poor fucking humans.

- Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult, lyrics by Michael Moorcock.

Stormbringer, the black blade and brother sword to Mournblade is one of an unnamed race of sword demons. Designed by Melnibonean artificers, Stormbringer is a thing of evil and anarchy and just as much a force for Chaos as the demons it was meant to slay. It pulses with hunger and sadistic glee, bent on warping and twisting its weilder's mind towards slaughter and bloodshed. Stormbringer is a large jet-black two-handed sword up to 6 feet in length and engraved with glowing blood-red runes. The blade's weilder must be cautious at all time least he even scratch himself with the weapon, for even a single scratch from this runeblade can spell death and feed Stormbringer your soul.

Damage: 1d10+16

Extras: Ignores the first 2 points of AC from armor. Any time Stormbringer strikes it's wielder's foe, it heals its master by 5 hit points for every 10 points of damage. In addition on a roll of 18-20 anyone struck by Stormbringer must pass a saving throw vs. Death Magic at a -2 penalty or die as the Black Blade rips the soul from his body. Stormbringer grants a +3 to attack as well and a +1 to Strength and Constitution as well.

18th level: Stormbringer now ignores the first 4 points of AC bonus from armor.
22nd level: Substitute Stormbringer's Willpower score for the wielders own when subjected to external mind influencing effects. The penalty to saving throws vs. Death Magic is now -4.
26th level: Stormbringer's barer gains a +5 bonus to Strength and Constitution.
30th level: Gods and demons take twice base damage (2d10+32) from Stormbringer and those struck by the Black Blade take a -6 penalty to survive Stormbringer's unoholy power on an attack roll of 16-20.

Restrictions/Complications: Stormbringer is intelligent, sadistic and strong-willed. Wielder must be a fighter or elf of at least 14th level and may not be good. Stormbringer may initiate a mental attack to control its master if he displeases the blade. Stormbringer possesses an Intelligence or 14, Charisma of 15 and Willpower of 18. In addition if it's wielder cuts himself upon Stormbringer they must pass a saving throw vs. Death Magic at a -6 penalty or die. On a successful save Stormbringer's barer suffers 26 points of damage.
18th level: Willpower of 20
22nd level: Willpower of 22
26th level: Willpower of 24
30th level: Willpower of 26

Notable Owners: Emperor Elric VIII and numerous other kings of ancient Melnibone.
Other submissions are welcome. With that said, can anyone help me figure out what the radius for Excalibur's light should be?
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Agrippa

Re: Legendary Artifact Weapons

Postby bathwizard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:48 am

Interesting. Definitely one of your more usable posts, Agrippa. Your version of Excalibur is considerably more powerful than what I remember from the legends (from what I remember it was a symbol of authority, not a 2-handed weapon of mass destruction), but it's certainly an interesting start. One thing I would modify is "ignores armour and anything that might reduce damage" and simply give it a big bonus to hit - opponents AC in LL/D&D is not often simply armour alone, and working out in the middle of combat what is armour and what is the "dodge/parry" part of AC is not always clear.

Which legends or fiction is Princess Guard from? And how much does damage increase with dead or incapacitated allies? And if Princess Guard is intended for use by spellcasters, why is it only a melee weapon? Any spell-like powers or bonuses to the wielder's own spells?

I'll be interested to see the Staff of Solomon and Stormbringer.
Bathwizard

My new blog is the Tales of Kaelaross, a world for Basic D&D/LL
bathwizard

Postby Blood axe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 pm

I like the weapons from White Plume Mountain. Im sure there are alot of newer players that have never seen or heard of them, but veteran players know.
Maybe I'll post them later.
Wave, Whelm & Blackrazor.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Whelm

Whelm is a Lawful Neutral warhammer +3 (+5 for Dwarves) Intelligence 15, Ego 18.
Purpose- kill all trolls, giants & goblin types
It can be thrown and will return from up to 150', three times per day (Dwarves only)
It can also stun once per day- when struck upon the ground it will cause a shock wave stunning up to 45 HP of enemies , up to a distance of 60' for 1-4 rounds if they fail a save vs. spells.
Whelm can detect gold, gems and goblin-types
Drawback- the bearer of the weapon gets a severe case of agoraphobia- fear of wide open spaces. and will fight at -2 when not inside a building, at night or (best of all) underground. This is obviously a Dwarven weapon.

--------------------------------------------------

Wave

Wave is a Neutral +3 trident which does 1-10 base damage. Intelligence 14, Ego 20.
Purpose- death & disfigurement to all those who do not worship, or wont convert to worship Poseidon or another Sea God.
Powers as a Trident of Fish Command
Powers as Trident of Warning
Water-breathing & Underwater action on bearer
Powers of Cube of Force
It has the powers of speech(Common tongue) and telepathy. And can communicate with all sea creatures.
Dehydration- on a natural 20- Wave dehydrates an opponent and drains half his reamining HP, after normal trident damage

---------------------------------------------------------

Blackrazor

Blackrazor is a Chaotic Neutral +3 Longsword. Intelligence 16, Ego 16.
Purpose- drain souls
It is a black sword that looks like a dark night sky filled with stars.

On a killing stroke Blackrazor temporarily adds the number of Levels of the slain human/humanoid foe to the bearers Level (for Fighting ability)
The bearer also temporarily gains the full hit points of the victim.The extra Levels/HP last a number of turns equal to the Level gained.
All damage is taken from the extar HP first.
All souls drained by Blackrazor are devoured and can not be raised or ressurected.
Every 3 days the sword remains "unfed"- its Ego goes up by one point, until it can compel its bearer to kill a humanoid. Once it feeds, its Ego returns to normal.
Blackrazor exists to feed-and isnt too picky where the souls come from.

Drawback- if it strikes a negative-energy being (like a Wight) the draining power will reverse! The bearer will lose a level & hp and give them to the creature.
The weilder will need a restoration spell or he must slay/drain twice the levels from a victim of the same race as him.

Speech (common+ languages bearer knows) & telepathy
detect living creatures 60'
haste on user 1xday- 10 rounds
100% magic resistance vs. Sleep/Charm spells
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm

On Excalibur, I just figured that since its common name is merely a Latinized form of Caledvwlch, which itself is a Welsh cognate for the mythical Irish sword Caladbolg, that merging the two descriptions with each other wouldn't be out of place.

As for the Princess Guard, I'm not quite sure what else to give it. Maybe it empowers healing spells or strenthens offensive spells targeting "enemies of life and nature" such as undead and certain horrors from beyond the stars.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:01 am

I've added a few more details to to both Exclibur/Caladbold and the Princess Guard and I'll get to work on the Staff of Solomon soon.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Eh, I'll just skip over to Stormbringer first. The Staff of Solomon can wait.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 am

I've just added Stormbringer's description. More tomorrow.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 am

I've just started working on stats for Stormbringer, mostly using a D&D and Mutant Future mix. The scaling weapon power might seem bizare to you at first but tihnk of it the weapon only revealing its true power to truly worthy and accomplished warriors.
Agrippa

Return to Open Workshop