what level party should take on Orcus?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: what level party should take on Orcus?

Postby AndrewSFTSN » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 pm

YHWH wrote:
Kyuss

Anyone heard of the band?

Killer band, saw the Kyuss Lives incarnation play at Hellfest 2011 and it was one of the best sets of the weekend.
AndrewSFTSN

Postby YHWH » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 pm

I mainly know them because of Tool but I've heard an album or two. I wonder if most of their fans know where the name comes from.
YHWH

Postby Atomic Ray » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Honestly...using legitimate characters, no munchins or the like...just about any party would be toast.

Orcus

Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil)

Hit Dice: 50d8+750 (1200 hp)

Initiative: +10 (+6 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)

Speed: 40 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)

AC: 54(-2 size, +6 Dex, +40 natural)

Attacks: Wand of Orcus +66/+61/+56 melee (or slam +66/+61/+56 melee), tail sting +63 melee

Damage: Wand of Orcus 1d8+17 and annihilation; slam 2d6+17, tail sting 2d4+8 and poison

Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft./10 ft.

Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells, fear aura, poison, summon demons, summon undead

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 45/+7, poison and electricity immunity, resistances (cold, acid, fire 20), darkvision 60 ft., SR 46, telepathy, speak with dead

Saves: Fort +42, Ref +33, Will +39

Abilities: Str 45, Dex 23, Con 40, Int 24, Wis 34, Cha 36

Skills: Bluff +63, Climb +62, Concentration +65, Diplomacy +63, Disguise +63, Escape Artist +56, Gather Information +63, Heal +62, Intimidate +64, Jump +67, Knowledge (arcana) +62, Knowledge (planes) +63, Knowledge (undead) +65, Listen +62, Move Silently +56, Scry +62, Search +62, Sense Motive +62, Spellcraft +62, Spot +62.

Feats: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Casting, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Sunder, Weapon Focus (slam, Wand of Orcus)

Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground

Organization: Solitary or troupe (Orcus plus 1-2 mariliths, 1-3 glabrezus, and 4-20 zombies or shadows)
Challenge Rating: 36

Treasure: Double standard

Alignment: Always chaotic evil

Advancement: —

Orcus is one of the strongest and most powerful of all demon lords. He fights a never-ending war that spans the many layers of the Abyss with the forces of Graz’zt. Orcus is known as the Prince of the Undead, for it is said in secret that he alone invented the first undead that walked the worlds.

Orcus appears as a grossly fat demon some 15 feet tall. His gray body is covered with goatish hair, and his head is goat-like, although his horns are similar to those of a ram. His great legs are also goat-like, but his arms are human. Vast bat-like wings sprout from his back, and his long snaky tail is tipped with a razor sharp poisonous tip.

Combat

Orcus prefers to melee with his fists. If pressed, he will use his spells and spell-like abilities. He wields his Wand whenever possible. If combat is going against him, he will summon demons and undead to cover his escape.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—animate dead, blasphemy, charm monster, charm person, deeper darkness, desecrate, detect good, detect law, detect thoughts, dispel magic, fear, greater dispelling, lightning bolt, polymorph self, pyrotechnics, read magic, see invisible, suggestion, symbol (any), telekinesis, teleport without error (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), tongues (self only), unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight, and wall of fire; 1/day—feeblemind. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 35th-level sorcerer (save DC 23 + spell level).

Spells: Orcus casts arcane spells as a 35th-level sorcerer (save DC 23 + spell level) and divine spells as a 35th-level cleric (save DC 22 + spell level). He has access to the domains of Chaos, Death, Evil, Destruction and War.

Fear Aura (Su): All within 60 feet; Will save (DC 48) or flee in fear for 2d6 rounds. If the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by Orcus’ fear aura for one day.

Poison (Ex): Tail sting; initial damage 3d6 temporary Constitution, secondary damage death, Fortitude save (DC 50).

Speak with Dead (Su): Orcus can, at will, speak with dead (as the spell of the name).

Summon Demons (Sp): Three times per day, Orcus can automatically summon one balor, 1d3 nalfeshnees, or 1d4 mariliths.

Summon Undead (Sp): As their prince, Orcus can automatically summon 100 HD of undead per day.

Demon Qualities (Ex): Orcus is immune to poison and electricity; and has cold, fire, and acid resistance 20.

Telepathy (Su): Orcus can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Wand of Orcus: Mighty Orcus wields a huge black skull-tipped rod that slays any living creature it touches if the target fails a Fortitude save (DC 40). Orcus, can at will, shut this ability off so as to allow his wand to pass into the Material Plane (and usually into the hands of one of his servants). In addition, the Wand has the following powers: 3/day-animate dead, desecrate, deeper darkness, fear, and unhallow; 2/day-blasphemy and unholy aura. Each ability is as the spell cast by a 20th-level sorcerer (save DC 30 + spell level).

Now with demi-gods...it is possible.

If the characters combined have at least half of the hit points and combat potential then maybe...but those characters are world movers and unrealistic.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby elf23 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:53 am

That's 3rd edition I suppose? Talk about power inflation... Ridiculous.

1200hp!? And doesn't that AC equate to -44!? And +66 to attack -- what on earth is the point?

I get all ranty whenever I look at 3rd edition monster stats. I'll spare you all the details as I'm sure most people here would agree! :D
elf23

Postby gray mouser » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Even if you "only" use the 1e AD&D version of Orcus he should be a match for almost any party. I'd argue against "accidentally" summong him, though. If he's going to be the end of the campaign at least have a few adventures leading up to the players confronting him, somehow. He should have plenty of undead and demonic vassals along with him and the PC's will suffer not a few mortalities. In the end the best they can hope for is containing him somehow so he isn't released on the prime material plane, possibly destroying his material form. I'd say at minimum a party of 14th level PC's; any less and they're going to be TPK'ed.
gray mouser

Postby by_the_sword » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:30 am

Finneas Fingers accidentally summoned him didn't he?
by_the_sword

Postby Vargr1105 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 pm

sniderman wrote:Ever read the Age of Worms Adventure Path that ran in Dungeon magazine? It's a series of 10-12 adventures leading up to the final confrontation with Kyuss, the God of Worms. First adventure is for levels 1-3. Next adventure is 4-6 level. As the party works its way through this mega-module, they eventually reach the final adventure where they confront a god. By that time, they are supposed to be around 20th level with many artifacts including several pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts. Playing through the entire Adventure Path up to the final fight is supposed to take nearly a year of real-time play.

For what edition is this campaign? 3rd?
Vargr1105

Previous

Return to Open Discussion