DMing and impartiality

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

DMing and impartiality

Postby greyarea » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm

This is an interesting article I just read about Dave Arneson and DM impartiality.

http://beyondtheblackgate.blogspot.com/2011/07/dave-arneson-and-impartiality-in-temple.html

I'm not sure I want a DM (or to be a DM) that will grab a coke while you fight lizardmen (roll for both sides, please) but I do like his general approach. It's about the enjoyment of the game, the story and having fun, rather than about rules. Love it.
greyarea

Re: DMing and impartiality

Postby gentleman john » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:23 pm

I've gone off to grab a cup of tea (Mmmm. Tea.) and left the party to go ahead with intra-PC social actions, but never abandoned them in a fight. Still, if you trust your players that much ...
gentleman john

Postby YHWH » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 am

That was a great post and Arneson seems like a wicked DM. Gygax even recommends emulating him in the intro to Supplement 2.
YHWH

Postby finarvyn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:04 am

Not sure how much this fits the thread, but I remember my first Amber Diceless game with Erick Wujcik as GM. He got us started creating characters, encouraged us to start discussing character background among ourselves, then left for about 20 minutes as we worked on background. I guess he figured we could play without him as well as we could with him. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Return to Open Discussion