Some thoughts on the warlock.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Some thoughts on the warlock.

Postby Agrippa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:54 am

Most games that feature a warlock class tag it as the edgy dark mage class. You know the type, conjuring fell beasts and demon summoning. Add in some raw destructive energy attacks and minor to heavily necromantic powers and you start to get the picture. But etymologically speaking the origin of the word warlock means oath-breaker. So in an effort to maintain the sorcerous connotations the word now has I propose that warlock be the wizarding/sorcerous/witching word for traitor or gross violator of occult law and protocol. Especially betrayal of one's circle, guild, academy or coven or destruction of one of your group's treasures. You could even warlocks to one circle/coven act as under cover agents for another. Any ideas or does this sound pretty good?
Agrippa

Re: Some thoughts on the warlock.

Postby elf23 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:42 am

Wow awesome research! I love the depth that etymology adds to the word.

I imagine combining the two meanings... Perhaps there is a certain oath or pact which is sworn by all who are initiated into the sorcerous arts. It is also known that there is dark power to be had by those who cross over the traditionally sworn boundaries. Those who break the oath can gain access to forbidden, dangerous and potent secrets. (And of course bring down the wrath of other sorcerers who have upheld the tradition.)
elf23

Postby elf23 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:46 am

Could also, alternatively, imagine this word applied to "clerics gone bad". In a dark ages themed campaign, the term "warlock" could be applied to all magic-users, even -- those who have been initiated into the church, have studied the lore of angels and demons, and have chosen (or been tempted) to cross over to the "dark side", forsaking god and consorting with devils in order to gain supernatural power.
elf23

Postby Agrippa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:08 pm

elf23 wrote:Wow awesome research! I love the depth that etymology adds to the word.

I imagine combining the two meanings... Perhaps there is a certain oath or pact which is sworn by all who are initiated into the sorcerous arts. It is also known that there is dark power to be had by those who cross over the traditionally sworn boundaries. Those who break the oath can gain access to forbidden, dangerous and potent secrets. (And of course bring down the wrath of other sorcerers who have upheld the tradition.)

elf23 wrote:Could also, alternatively, imagine this word applied to "clerics gone bad". In a dark ages themed campaign, the term "warlock" could be applied to all magic-users, even -- those who have been initiated into the church, have studied the lore of angels and demons, and have chosen (or been tempted) to cross over to the "dark side", forsaking god and consorting with devils in order to gain supernatural power.

Either of these two could fit the kind of warlock I'm talking about. Could even be that the warlock was a member of an evil cadre of spell casters and became a warlock for going to far beyond the pale even for them. Perhaps the morally bankrupt magus created his own world's version of Sins of the Father or certain other unsavory spells.
Agrippa

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby Agrippa » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 am

As I mentioned, pretty much word for word on Dragonsfoot forums (yes that site), was one of the first thoughts I had about attaining warlock status. Namely that sacrificing a fellow colleague is a serious warlock move. No one else will want you after doing something like that. Unless of course some wealthy and or connected scumbag comes calling. And if he does that's probably because he blackmailed you with knowledge of your warlock status and holds it over your head like the Sword of Damocles.
Last edited by Agrippa on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 pm

"So what did your PC do to become a warlock? Snort his order's founder's remains mixed with this worlds version of cocaine, embezzle money from his order, betray his fellow mambers or unleash an angry monster in the middle of his order's sanctum? Maybe your guy sold some of its secrets, broke a few relics or misused order property. He could have even murdered his master or a fellow apprentice. Or it could have an been an accident or even self defense but still looks like murder, getting him wrongly branded as a warlock." That's what I'd say to anyone who wanted to play a warlock.
Agrippa

Return to Labyrinth Lord