Why scimitars?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Why scimitars?

Postby aspiringlich » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:09 am

Why would anyone buy a scimitar for 15gp when they could get a long sword, which weighs the same (4 lbs.) and does the same amount of damage (1d8), for 10gp?

AD&D gives the scimitar certain advantages over the long sword (lower speed factor, less space required, better 'to hit' adjustments against the high ACs) but Labyrinth Lord dispenses with those fiddly bits. But in doing so it seems to make the scimitar kind of pointless (no pun intended).
aspiringlich

Re: Why scimitars?

Postby gentleman john » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Why? For non-mechanical reasons.

There is a story (possibly apocryphal) of when Richard the Lionheart met Salah ad-Din for the first time. According to the tale, the two rulers decided to demonstrate to each other the virtues of their weapons. Richard called for an iron bar as thick as his arm and placed it across two rocks. Then, he raised his longsword above his head and brought it down on the bar, breaking the bar into two pieces. In response, Salah ad-Din called for a piece of silk. He threw the silk up into the air and, with one flick of his scimitar, cut the drifting silk into two pieces.

Based on that, what would a stylish adventurer prefer?

If you wanted a mechanical reason as to why to choose a scimitar, based on the above tale I would give a scimitar an enhanced saving throw when it was called for due to the superior workmanship that went into it (albeit not good enough for a +1). I would also allow somebody who knew what they were doing with such a weapon a +1 bonus to any CHA roll to impress NPCs.

There's more to the game than just the tables! :)

Anybody else have any thoughts on the matter?
gentleman john

Postby bighara » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm

So when you die, I can give it to my daughter. :lol:
bighara

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:40 am

bighara wrote:So when you die, I can give it to my daughter. :lol:

Nice! I love Eaters of the Dead!
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Malcadon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I tend to use the gear from B/X D&D, as it keeps the armor and weapon lists short and simple. When a player ask about the lack of some for of gear, I would say that a "sword" is not a specific type of weapon, but a wide range of long bladed weapons, and them I would provide examples of swords: straight blades (broadsword, longsword, etc.), curved blades (sabers, falchions, katanas, cutlasses, scimitars, etc.), and sickle swords (khopesh, falcata, shotel, etc.). On that note, I use "shortswords" for roman gladius, rapiers, sickles, khukuri, dirks, long knives, and so on. I let the players figure out what kind of weapons and armor they want, and I help them to figure out what is appropriate for that type of item.

In the course of play, the players might find a "jeweled-encrusted cerimonial kris", and I would note what that item is (in the case of a kris, it is a short wavy dagger from Indonesia). On the character sheet, the player would write "dagger (w/ jewels)" until (s)he learns it true value (and any magical properties, if at all).

"Keep it descriptive in play, and simple on paper." is how I roll.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Return to Labyrinth Lord