Mutations...power curve

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Mutations...power curve

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 am

Greetings!

I was reviewing the MF game and I must say well done guys!

I have written drafts of related PA games that were heavily inspired by the foundation that Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World laid down...dozens of drafts...close to printable projects...art...the whole process...failure to launch for many reasons but no regrets.

What that gives me is a refined editor's and creative process eye for detail...you guys put enough clean detail and structure into the game that it oozes on every page...and I have only roughly chopped through the weeds of the many pages of data.

To the topic point...mutations, defects, and the power curve.

One of those hurdles I have struggled with over the years...literally wrestled the giant dwarf octo-gator of potential...and I have found that this is the main issue of contention among players...mutations.

I am speaking from a lifetime (since 1976) of gaming with a strong sense of loyalty for MA and GW, even when there were up front issues with the games...don't even get me started with the latest version of GW...anyway, a lifetime of serious interest in the setting that MF celebrates with its existence...players tend to want lots of powers, no defects, and less random the better.

Sigh

I can honestly say that I can count on two hands from all the players I have dealt with who were ok with random abilities, full spectrum weak to uber powers, and defect potential.

For me...I have often taken cosmetic mutations when the options were not available to me...a hunchback, albino, extra vestigial limb, or a mumbling klatu for example...nothing to be gained except the weirdness factor cranked until the speakers ripped from their housings.

So random is ok with me.

Defects are fine also.

The uber mutations...these tend to rub me wrong, but I am a role player rather than a roll player so I can work with whatever tools I have with me.

So I am asking...do you tend to house rule the defects, range of power levels for mutations, and how the mutations are gained?

This is not a slight towards MF, as I said I am impressed beyond the ordinary...really well done on so many fronts...this is just a conversation between us fellow players and creative types who can appreciate a spider goat.

Just to keep the supplies in the boat I will redirect what I am noting with an example or two...

Random vs Picked...I find that some players have something in mind, a particular vision that random rolls could wrench a monkey or two...in this sort of case if it fits the situation I am usually ok with letting them pick a mutation that makes it all work...now a laundry list of mutations, not so much...not roll a full character and then pick...pick one and done.

Random vs Points...buying your mutations...this is a more modern process, balance via a points spread...but this opens a whole other argument, random points pool or a common baseline...I have played with this aspect so often it seems to be a reoccurring character that I should have put rock to head years ago.

Random mutations and defects...I was looking through the lists for MF and by the holy metal Divine Bomb, nearly 50/50 mutations and defects...I can honestly say I have never seen that ratio of mutations to defects...wow.

That sort of ratio can really defend the reason to play a pure strain human, which can be a struggle to deal with in itself...why play a human when you can be a mutant?...because you don't want the 50/50 odds for serious defects.

What of the range from minor to major mutations?

The old classic Batman and Robin situation...would player A be happy with Robin level skills and abilities when player B has Batman grade everything? This sort of reading between the lines makes my head hurt

Sorry for the ramble...I am enthusiastic to be around fellow mutant connoisseurs and these issues have been a major part of my creative life since I can remember.

Have a good one all!

Atomic Ray
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Return to Mutant Future