Lego Figures

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Lego Figures

Postby dulsi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:09 pm

When playing RPGs, I grown to like having a miniature to represent my character. I don't necessarily need a battlemat with exact movements but I like having the physical representation. The studded plate blog had a couple of posts on using lego minifigures. My son really liked the Legends of Chima Lego theme. It has various anthropomorphic animals. I started to think about what game they could be used in. Given the limited selection of animals available you might not be able to satisfy all your players if you used minifigures. If you wanted bigger than normal characters you would only have the mammoths unless you brick built the character instead. But Lego has produced other anthropomorphic animals outside Legends of Chima. The TMNT line had turtles, rats, and big dog and spider figures. Ninjago has snakes. Marvel Superheroes has Rocket Raccoon plus other superpowered heroes depending on your mutations. The collectible minifigures have various people in animal costumes which could be used after replacing the head inside to be blank black or something. If you want to spend alot for a figure the Quick bunny had a figure produced at one point.

The Legends of Chima setting is interesting but doesn't have mutations. While you could run it in Mutant Future, I'd probably just use a different system, maybe Labrynith Lord and create classes for each race. Mostly they would be fighter like but raven would probably have some thief skills. You would need to add in some futuristic weapons from Mutant Future.
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
dulsi

Re: Lego Figures

Postby AgileDaddy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Legos are a bit bulky for me. We used to use Heroscape figures. Eventually we learned how to paint, and now we use Reaper minis.

To each his own. :)
AgileDaddy

Re: Lego Figures

Postby seneschal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:57 pm

I can see the advantage of LEGO mini-figures, though. They and their off-brand competitors are everywhere (at least at the moment), come pre-painted, can be mixed and matched with body parts and accessories from other figures to create new characters, and are comparatively cheap compared to traditional metal gaming figures. They are even competitively priced compared to Reaper Bones plastic figures. With a host of LEGO toys for nearly every genre, mini-figures could be the quick and dirty way to go.

And with a regular building set, the GM can create mega-monsters never conceived by military and fantasy miniatures manufacturers. Sure, they may look a little blocky, but so do the critters in the classic computer game Alone In the Dark and in the current darling, Minecraft. When it does 4D10 damage, does it matter whether the monster is a bit rough around the edges?
seneschal

Return to Mutant Future