CLOSED - X4 - Master of the Desert Nomads - LL pbp

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

Re: X4 - Master of the Desert Nomads - LL pbp

Postby badams30 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:06 am

connivingsumo wrote:CLERIC IT IS!!!! :mrgreen:

Hey everybody!! Great to be back and to see some familiar faces 'round here! 8-)

So are we doing the expert rules where I can do like an elf or dwarf cleric (or some other race), or is it the basic rules only - where I think races are class and I would have to be a human cleric?

I'm easy either way! Cheers :D

YEAH! It's like the Blues Brothers gettin' the band back together!
Tell me, was it Winston's speech that did it for you? Or Steve's legendary DM skills? Or my super cool Tom Selleck 'stache? Be honest now...
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:30 am

Hey, Sumo! Glad to have you back. :D

We're doing the basic rules, with race as class.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 am

badams30 wrote:

Hey everybody!! Great to be back and to see some familiar faces 'round here! 8-)

So are we doing the expert rules where I can do like an elf or dwarf cleric (or some other race), or is it the basic rules only - where I think races are class and I would have to be a human cleric?

YEAH! It's like the Blues Brothers gettin' the band back together!
Tell me, was it Winston's speech that did it for you? Or Steve's legendary DM skills? Or my super cool Tom Selleck 'stache? Be honest now...

All 3 brother, all three. :lol:
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:11 am

tumblingdice wrote:Hey, Sumo! Glad to have you back. :D

We're doing the basic rules, with race as class.

Oi!! OK - Human it is, then! You mentioned previous/old characters - is there a level limit on that, or what are your thoughts on starting level? I assumed it was level one.

If new, what are the rules around character creation? I'll go back and read the original post(s) to make sure I haven't missed 'house rules' or something of that nature.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:15 am

tumblingdice wrote:Seeking 6-8 players able to post every 2-3 days. Characters all start with the same number of XP, and levels will range from 6 to 9, depending on party composition (50 levels total to start). Character generation 3d6, any order. Maximum hit points at 1st level, roll for subsequent levels. All normal equipment allowed within reason, plus (1d6+4)x100 gp in assorted coins, gems and jewelry. Magic items to be determined later.

My response: *derp*

I'll get to work on that character! *I'll adjust for a level, +/-, based on what you dictate or our group levels out to (not to exceed 50 levels).

connivingsumo

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:57 am

We're up to seven!

greyarea - wizard
badams - thief
saalaria - fighter
kwll - wizard
spanningtree - undeclared
connivingsumo - cleric

It might be a few days until the thread opens up, so I'll leave recruitment open for a little longer. Feel free to start working on your characters. This adventure takes place in the Known World, as detailed in the D&D Expert Set and The Isle of Dread module. Just about any character background you can think of, it can accommodate. Let me know if you have any questions, or need any advice or help.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Having mentioned the Expert Set and Isle of Dread map, I suppose it would be right sporting of me to show you the map. Hit ctrl-(minus sign) to reduce the size of the image if you can't see the whole map.

Players in my previous games will recognize the Emriates of Ylaruam and the Grand Duchy of Karameikos.

Remember, this is all for background information and flavor. The adventure as written takes place to the west of these lands. Still, this is the civilized land that's under attack from the barbarian hordes to the west. You should know what's at stake!

The Key to the Continental Map (taken directly from The Isle of Dread module)

Principalities of Glantri. Glantri is a magocracy; that is, the princes and princesses who rule the state are all high level magic-users. They live in Glantri City most of the time, though each ruler also has a castle hidden in some remote wilderness area. Actually, the rulers are more concerned with magical research than with ruling. Most decisions are left to the various local councils of elders and the princely stewards. The princes and princesses do not trust each other and live in a state of uneasy truce. In the face of invasion or rebellion, however, they are quick to unite. In extreme emergencies, they will select one of their number as "dictator", to serve for one year.

Ethengar Khanate. The Ethengar are nomadic herders of horses, cattle, and goats. They are divided into small family clans. Usually the clans raid and quarrel with each other, but occasionally a strong leader (khan) emerges to unite the entire Ethengar people into a strong "nation". However, with the eventual death of the khan, there is rarely an heir strong enough to hold the Ethengar together. They then break apart, and the family clans begin warring with each other once more. Their culture is similar to that of the horsemen of the central Asian steppes (Huns, Mongols, Magyars,Turks, and so on).

Heldann Freeholds. The Heldann are a barbaric, fair-haired people who hunt, fish, and raise crops on isolated farms. They are related to the people in the northeastern kingdoms but acknowledge no ruler among themselves higher than the individual household leader. Their culture is very similar to that of medieval Iceland.

Kingdom of Vestland, Kingdom of Ostland, and the Soderfjord Jarldoms. Each of these northeastern states is composed of many petty "kingdoms" that are loosely united under one ruler. In Vestland and Ostland the underchiefs are called "kings"; in Soderfjord they are known as "jarls." Their culture resembles that of the vikings. The people of these kingdoms highly value individualism, physical strength and prowess in combat. They live mainly by fishing and by occasional raids on nearby coastal villages. Besides being fierce warriors, these people are explorers without equal, ranging far and wide in their wooden longships.

The Broken Lands. The "broken lands" are an area of rocky badlands and old volcanic lava beds. The land is extremely wild and inhabited mainly by outcasts and monsters.

Rockhome. Rockhome is the homeland of the dwarves. It stretches throughout the northern Altan Tepe mountain range. The dwarves have built and maintain a road through the mountains for caravans. They charge toll from all who pass.

Atruaghin Clans. These grassy plateau, forest, and hilly regions next to the sea are inhabited by herders, hunters, and fishermen who live in small villages. All the villagers claim to be descended from the ancient hero Atruaghin. If threatened by war they will unite under a temporarily elected leader.

Republic of Darokin. This republic is centered around the capital, Darokin. Its wealth is based on trade from Lake Amsorak (the large inland lake), the Streel river, the eastern caravan route, and sea trade filtering in through the Malpheggi Swamp. Darokin is a plutocracy; that is, the government is run by the wealthiest merchant families. The culture resembles that of Venice or Genoa in medieval Italy.

Alfheim. As the name implies, Alfheim is the homeland of the elves. The elven king rules the great forest of Canolbarth. Because Canolbarth is tended by the elves, it is far larger than a natural forest in this area would be. Darokin pays the elves to protect the caravan route through the forest to Selenica.

Emirates of Ylaruam. Ylaruam is built in the midst of the largest oasis in the Alasiyan Desert. It is the center of caravan routes crossing from north to south and from east to west, and is controlled by the Emir of Ylaruam and his royal family. The culture is similar to that of the Arabic desert states or the Central Asian city-states of Palmyra, Damascus, or Samarkand.

The Five Shires. The five shires are the homeland of the halflings. The area is ruled by a council of five sheriffs who each control a shire. Four times a year the sheriffs meet at a great feast and there decide shirewide policy by vote.

Grand Duchy of Karameikos. This part of the continent is a wild and unsettled land claimed by Duke Stephan Karameikos. In reality, little of the land is under the duke's control. Large areas are overrun with monsters and hostile humanoids. For a more detailed description of the Duchy of Karameikos, see the D&D Expert rulebook.

Kingdom of lerendi. The trading ships of Ierendi rival those of Thyatis, and the kingdom sports a magnificent royal palace carved from pure white coral. The king and queen of the land are usually popular adventurer-heroes; however, they are without true power and serve only as figureheads. Actual rule is held by certain aristocratic families (making Ierendi an oligarchy).

Minrothad Guilds. The Minrothad island cluster is a syndicracy: the government is run by the heads of the various trading guilds. Minrothad is closely allied to Thyatis.

Empire of Thyatis. The empire of Thyatis is an autocracy. The emperor holds absolute power, but his decisions must allow for the desires of powerful nobles and for the threat of mob riots over unfavorable laws. The city of Thyatis is built beside a large canal that separates the southern peninsula from the mainland, so the city is a major trade center. The Thyatian culture is similar to the medieval Byzantine empire.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:52 pm

WOOT! Good to see you again Conniving!
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Change me to human fighter, please.

And I want to be from Portugal.
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:38 pm

Portugal? Hmmm. Darokin has swashbuckling types. Would that work? Alternately, Alfheim--even though I cautioned against demi-humans--has a clan of swashbuckling Spanish elves. You could be Manuel of the Plains, complete with large black mustache. How does that sound?
tumblingdice

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer Gatherings