Statting Star Trek ships for S&S 2e

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Statting Star Trek ships for S&S 2e

Postby daddystabz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Has anyone started statting up ships yet for classic ToS Trek, the next gen, Abrams Trek, etc? I really, really would love to get some stats for all these eras of Trek.
daddystabz

Re: Statting Star Trek ships for S&S 2e

Postby Kathulos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Given the size and power of the ships, I'm not sure they can be properly scaled to S&S.
We're talking ships with crews in the hundreds and sizes that are enormous compared to the ships present in the rules.
Kathulos

Postby daddystabz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am

I certainly hope this can be done! The game is meant to mimic Star Trek and many of its fans, myself included, grabbed this game to play Star Trek.

Kathulos wrote:Given the size and power of the ships, I'm not sure they can be properly scaled to S&S.
We're talking ships with crews in the hundreds and sizes that are enormous compared to the ships present in the rules.
daddystabz

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 am

I think you just need to change the assumptions of ship size and crew, and leave a lot of the rest the same.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby daddystabz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 am

That is exactly how I was thinking of handling it.

Goblinoid Games wrote:I think you just need to change the assumptions of ship size and crew, and leave a lot of the rest the same.
daddystabz

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 am

Heavy Cruiser (Constitution Class)
Heavy Cruisers are often named after famous historical naval vessels, especially warships (e.g. Excalibur, Exeter, Farragut, Hood, Potemkin).
Crew complement: 430
Command rank: Captain
Power Pile Base: 250 (two-and-a-half pods)
Teleporter capacity: 6 at a time
Beam banks: 6
Ion Torpedoes: 14
Shuttle ships: 4
Sick bay capacity: 5
Stephen

Postby daddystabz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Keep those writeups coming! I especially need to get info on Klingon, Romulan, etc. vessels. Also, if I were to play this in the Abrams-verse won't the ships need to be much larger? I have read that the Abrams Enterprise is much larger than the TOS one.
daddystabz

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

The above is for the Roddenberry/TOS Constitution Class (not the refit Constitution from the movies). I'll look up some more TOS ships and will post later.

If you were to play the Abrams-verse, the characters would all need to be bickering teenagers. ;)
Stephen

Postby daddystabz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I am only considering playing in the Abrams-verse because it is wide-open in terms of continuity and is fresh/new. I can hardly wait to see more of your writeups! I hope to see the refit Enterprise from the movies too!

Any peeps want to take a stab at Next Generation stuff as well?
daddystabz

Postby John Adams » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:42 pm

It looks like there may be some controversy among us geeks as to how much bigger the Abrams-Trek ships are. :shock:

Since we do not have the size of the klingon ships to judge by, the big, honking Romulan ship in the movie is hard to judge scale by.

Since this is S&S, I do not have any problem either way with it. The ships in S&S are much smaller (at least in crew) than the larger TOS Trek ships and the possibly even much larger Abram Trek ships.

I think the point that has already been mentioned is a good one - use S&S to make your OWN Trek universe. Maybe the Federation ships are huge but far less numerous than Klingon ships? Make it your own and keep your players guessing (wanting to know more). That's half the fun in gaming!
John Adams

Next

Return to Starships & Spacemen