Old School Superheroes

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Old School Superheroes

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Blood axe wrote:Can you post some characters using this system?

Absolutely.

Would you like to see any particular conversions to see if the levy can hold water?

Name the supers you would like see...or a couple rough ideas.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 pm

The Incredible Man

Name : Ben Banner...code name T.I.M.
Type : Physical
Level : 1st

Height : 7'
Weight : 400lbs

STR....23 STR...+32 dam 690lbs lift/carry/throw(16")
DEX....15 -1AC +1MF +1Ini
CON...16 +2HP per level (15+1 16+2 17+3 18+4 etc.)
INT....13
WIS...13
CHA..15 +1Ini (yes Initiative...making speeches, threats, gaining attention, etc.)

Hit Points...25 (15CON/2=7.5D6+2 (roll) (7.5 x 3 ave = 23 + 2 = 25) (1/2 CON in D6 + any CON bonuses...+1D6 per level after 1st)
Armor Class... (-1)
Damage Rating...-15 (-1 for 1st level + -14 for Tough)

Powers
1...Strong...at first level with 1 stage of Strong allows for 10 + 4D6 best three or 10 + (4)3D6 = 13-28...+1 per level after 1st level...(rolls)...4, 3, 6, 2 +10 = 23 STR +32 dam 690lbs lift/carry/throw(16")
23 STR damage 8(for the 23) + 8D6(variable rolled once, for the 8) (roll) (ave 3 x 8 = 24)...8 + 24 = +32 damage
lift/carry 23(STR)x 30(chart value) = 690lbs
throw max weight 1/2 +dam(32) = 16"

2...Regenerate...at first level with 1 stage of Regen gives the character instant healing of 10 + CON at WIL per day...so a 12 WIL is 12 times per day...10 + 16(CON) = 26 Regen @ 13(WIL) times per 24hrs (with rest/food/water/etc...reduced to 1/2 WIL if no rest/food/etc.)...Regen will bring the character back from below 0 HP if the damage does not exceed x2 Regen value...or in this case 26 x 2 = -52

3...Tough...at 1st level with 1 stage of Tough the character can resist damage to a certain level before any affect other than knockdown comes into play...10 + 1D6 per level...1st level = 11-17...(roll)...4...so each attack that actually hits will be at -14HP in damage (in context a mundane punch/kick/knife/sword/small cal gun/etc. would cause no damage)
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

You want some requests, how about some of these. Jessica Jones, the Nextwave versions Monica Rabmeau, Araon Stack, Tabitha Smith, Elsa Bloodstone and Nextwave's only original hero, the Captain.

By the way, how do you get a +32 to damage from a Strength score of 23?
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 pm

The HP seem low. Maybe it would be better to use some ideas from MF than LL. CON as HD, for HP. Mutations as Super Powers,etc.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:31 am

This is an idea I come up with for an MF/LL mix. All classed characters start out with the maximum hit points for their class hit die. On top of that they gain additional hit dice from Constitution. Basically they get d6 or d8 hit points per every four points of Con, plus the same amount at 6th, 11th and 16th character level (i.e. the level progression used in MF). At the same time all classes still have their own experience tracks. I think this will explain things better.

• Constitution Score|Hit Dice/+5 levels
  • 1-4|1dx
  • 5-8|2dx
  • 9-12|3dx
  • 13-16|4dx
  • 17-20|5dx
  • 21-24|6dx
  • 25-28|7dx
Agrippa

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:08 am

Blood axe wrote:The HP seem low. Maybe it would be better to use some ideas from MF than LL. CON as HD, for HP. Mutations as Super Powers,etc.

It is a thought...all everything should be explored.

I do need to consider the levels and what is gained with leveling up...which is part of the reason for 1/2 CON in D6, as well as adding a bonus per level for CON, and the Damage Rating which reduces incoming damage.

T.I.M. here gets hit point blank with a shotgun...for 20pts of damage (which blows a mundane human in half) and he takes -15 right off the top, so 5pts gets through...-5 from his 25 leaving 20HP.

So if he stood there and took it, the same situation repeated...4 more times (enough damage to kill 8-10 normal people) to bring him to 0.

Sounds fairly super :)

Now keep in mind his HP were based on the average and could have been 47.

If I had used the whole CON value then we would be looking at 80-100+HP at 1st level...same example above...shot point blank 10-14 times...this seems a bit higher than a beginning hero would have unless they were a Brick type meant to soak damage.

Keep in mind the same guy would not be hurt...at all...by a mundane human punch/kick and most likely not even with a knife, bat, or axe.

He could fall off a high building and shake most of it off.

Get hit by a car and it would hurt but still completely functional.

Again my thoughts were not for icons like Superman or even Batman...but rather starting level guys working their way into the business :)

PS
I am not dismissing your thoughts at all...I just find that once you increase the HP just to do it then the guns just get bigger to make up the difference.

:mrgreen:
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm okay starting out low level and rising up ward. With that question what would you consider these heroes in terms of this supers RPG project? Cú Chulainn, Heracles, Sigurd, Perseus, Wayland the Smith and Marduk. This is with the understanding that they would be very high level.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

For a relatively "low powered" Supers game, Mutant Future might be able to be used with a little conversion. Batman power level, or maybe Spiderman powered, but not the heavy hitters like Superman. More powers would have to be added, and some existing powers altered. Possibly 75% of MF could be used.

Thanks for the Incredible Man example. I dislike the STR bonus for high STR. A straight +32 damage just doesnt seem right. I like the variable damage more, like an extra d6/d8/d10 damage or so every few points of super strength.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:02 am

I do see the value of the non-straight damage value but for a common sense aspect a very strong superhero should not come up with a punch that is close to mundane levels.

The straight base damage brings the super aspect home.

A car door, let us say it has 25HP, then a super with at least 25HP damage bonus could rip it off its hinges without rolling dice...keeping the game going.

That is the killer in most super games...delays...counting damage usually.

Anything to speed up the process :)
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby gentleman john » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Really, once you start putting in the adds, the random element doesn't matter that much if you're only using one dice. If you're using multiple dice, you might be better off assuming either average damage if there are enough dice, or ruling that in "mundane" situations the amount of damage done is always the maximum.

However, that is the influence from my days refereeing T&T and Champions showing through.
gentleman john

PreviousNext

Return to Mutant Future