SotU monk class

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

SotU monk class

Postby 3llense'g » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

For some reason I always wanted to make a monk class for Searchers of the Unknown. At first I over-complicated the math, but after watching Kung Fu Panda 2, I had an idea. :D

When fighting without armour and weapons, the monk causes 1 to HD+1 damage with each hit, starting with 1d2 at first level.
Levels not reproducible with die rolls can be reproduced with the combination of two (or a simple addition of one).
Examples: HD6 = d6+1, HD14 = d12+d3

He or she starts at 2 attacks per round on first level, but otherwise advances in the described way (1 additional attack after every 4 additional HD).

The monk also reduces any damage inflicted on him or her by 1 for every odd level they possess. (-1 at level 1, -2 at level 3, etc.) This ability can be used up to as many times a round as attacks the character has (declare before damage is rolled). The DM can decide if the reduction can reach 0, or if 1 damage must always be inflicted (I suggest the former).

What do you guys think? :D
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Re: SotU monk class

Postby 3llense'g » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:52 am

A little addition:

If using weapons, the damage is according to whatever weapon the monk uses, and their attacks per round is halved (round down to a minimum of 1).

If using armour, the damage reduction is lost, but the hand-to-hand damage is the same. The number of attacks is again halved.
3llense'g

Postby 3d6 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Hey, that's cool. I really like your damage reduction idea, I think that'd work.

One thing, if I've got your damage idea correct, it's:
Code: Select all
Level   Dam
  1     1d2
  2     1d3
  3     1d4
  4     1d4+1 ? 1d5
  5     1d6
  6     1d6+1
  7     1d8
  8     1d8+1
  9     1d10
 10     1d10+1
 11     1d12
 12     1d12+1
 13     1d8+1d6 ? 1d12 + 1d2
 14     1d12+1d3
 15     2d8

My feeling, and it's not a criticism, just a thought, is that I'm not sure - if I were playing this - that I'd be happy to go from the "+1" levels to the next. EX. From 1d6+1 to 1d8. Same average damage. At level 6 I had no possibility of 8 pts and now at level 7, I do, so I'm happy about that, but at level 6, I never did just 1 pt and now at level 7 I do. I'm not sure its a "promotion," is all. Nitpicky I know. :) It is fine as is, this is just a thought that occured to me.

Regards
aka landlord.dombrowski on google
blog -> Bruno's Demise
3d6

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:06 pm

That's a good point. On the other hand, damage reduction goes up at every odd level, and that's advancement enough IMHO. (So level 7, 9, 11 are covered). :)

I'd stick to the biggest available dice when rolling damage (so HD13 is d12+d2). Also, just to nitpick back, d5 = d10/2. ;)
3llense'g

Return to Open Workshop