Wisdom-Intelligence- Spell bonus in AEC.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Wisdom-Intelligence- Spell bonus in AEC.

Postby Blood axe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 am

AEC rules.

Clerics get to cast bonus spells for high Wisdom. Magic-users do not gain extra spells to cast for high Intelligence.
So Cleric/Druid usually get more spells than their Wizardly counterparts.

I think its 3rd edition(brown players handbook) lets Magic-users gain bonus spells for Int- just like Clerics get for Wis.

Im thinking of allowing this bonus for Wizards in my current Slavers campaign.

Thoughts?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Wisdom-Intelligence- Spell bonus in AEC.

Postby Lord Kilgore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 am

I've done this for quite a while. It doesn't screw up anything as far as I'm concerned. I probably wouldn't if clerics didn't get a spell at first level like in the original, but they do in LL (and AD&D, where I started using the INT bonus for magic-users) so it seems to make sense to me.

Adds a bit of power, survivability, and things for an M-U player to do while not being overpowering once the character starts advancing.
Lord Kilgore was last seen entering the Lost Caverns some years ago...
Lord Kilgore

Postby Blood axe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:49 am

Ive just noticed in my games that Wizardly characters seem "under-spelled" compared to Clerical ones. I also had a player with a M-U with pretty low INT (the character, NOT the player!). Why not? There isnt a huge difference-certainly not in LL. Just a XP bonus really.
I want Wizardly chracters to take an active part in the adventure. Low Hp nad no armor seem enough a disadvantage.
Blood axe

Postby Black Wyvern » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Hey Blood Axe are you using Int table II? It gives players a big incentive to have a high INT, but it inflicts a penalty rather than giving a bonus like WIS Table II does. I am not really a fan of either table.

I have given both cleric and magic-users bonus spell levels equal to their prime req bonus. So at First level a character with an 18 gets a bonus of three 1st level spell at third level he could split it to be a first and second level and at fifth level he could have a bonus 3rd level spell. I have found it to be unbalancing for 1st and 2nd level characters, by 3rd it is less noticeable and by 5th, well does an extra fireball really make that much difference? Sleep is the big concern. A low level magi casting 3 or 4 sleeps a day can eat through encounters pretty fast.

Anyway as WIS Table II has more bonus spells so I would think it would take longer for it to balance out. Would have the same problem at low levels for sure and certain though.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Ilvarin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

I like the modified casting system from Spellcraft & Swordplay with my own little twist of applying the INT/WIS bonus as a penalty to the ST. That serves the dual purpose of keeping spellcasters useful at low level, and it makes a higher stat stand out. The higher stat isn't vital though. I have a hardwired distrust of anything that makes high stats almost necessary. That is the poisoned root of the powercreep tree, IMO.
Slaine

http://ramblinsfrombeyondthepale.blogspot.com/
Ilvarin

Postby connivingsumo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 am

I like the idea, Blood axe. As you know, I'm currently playing a level 1 MU and... I forgot how much it sucks. I had one magic missile and I just have to wait until it's "bed time" to relearn it. Having 3 level 1 spells would help me be more than just a torch bearer or thrower of d4 daggers. :lol:
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Blood axe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 am

connivingsumo wrote:I like the idea, Blood axe. As you know, I'm currently playing a level 1 MU and... I forgot how much it sucks. I had one magic missile and I just have to wait until it's "bed time" to relearn it. Having 3 level 1 spells would help me be more than just a torch bearer or thrower of d4 daggers. :lol:

Yes, at least a Cleric can also fight somewhat. He can use some decent weapons & armor.
Blood axe

Postby johnnybleu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Personally, I don't allow bonus spells for high INT or WIS. The fact that Clerics now get ONE spell at first level is already a big enough improvement for me, and having limited spells is more in line with the "old-school" flavour of the game.

While there certainly is nothing wrong with allowing your players to have a bit more firepower, you have to consider such alterations carefully. As Black Wyvern pointed out, a level 1 M-U with 3 sleep spells might have a profound (and devastating) impact on your game.
Colorist, artist, and overall decent person.
My fantasy art thread- http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2152
My blog- http://johnnybleuart.blogspot.ca/
johnnybleu

Postby Blood axe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:04 pm

johnnybleu wrote:Personally, I don't allow bonus spells for high INT or WIS. The fact that Clerics now get ONE spell at first level is already a big enough improvement for me, and having limited spells is more in line with the "old-school" flavour of the game.

While there certainly is nothing wrong with allowing your players to have a bit more firepower, you have to consider such alterations carefully. As Black Wyvern pointed out, a level 1 M-U with 3 sleep spells might have a profound (and devastating) impact on your game.

Thats easy- dont allow multiple Sleep spells. If a Wizard is hit before the spell is completed - it it disrupted & lost.
Sleep is already very, very powerful for a Level 1 spell. it effects 2- 16 HD- perhaps it should be toned to 2-8 or 2-12. I allow a saving throw now- as it is.

Everybodys game is different- so you have to go with what works best for you.
Blood axe

Postby Lord Kilgore » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:59 pm

FWIW, if it wasn't for the healing aspect, I'd suggest that maybe magic-users should get bonus spells and clerics SHOULDN'T. Clerics already have decent combat capability plus turning undead besides their spells, while the magic-user has, well, a dagger.
Lord Kilgore was last seen entering the Lost Caverns some years ago...
Lord Kilgore

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord