The dungeon creation game!

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: The dungeon creation game!

Postby thekelvingreen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:50 pm

17. Hallway: The stone floor here is smooth and relatively clear of dust and debris, indicating frequent use. Faded murals line the walls, depicting the activities of a brown-robed cult; here and there images of a smiling gnome -- crudely painted, but recognisable as matching the brass statues found elsewhere -- have been superimposed over the original painting.

An unfinished passage leads off; at the end can be found the near-fossilised remains of a vast spider egg sac, as well as a number of abandoned arachnid exoskeletons of varying sizes.
thekelvingreen

Postby MedievalKnievel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:48 pm

I wasn't planning on doing more rooms, but it looks like this project is starting to stagnate, and we're almost done! So here's the second to last room -- I hope someone is ready to pitch in the last one soon.

18. Spider's Den - This room is choked with thick sticky strands of web, which have the same effect as the Web spell. Four bulging web sacks can be seen in amongst the strands, the larger two of which wriggle and shift. These two contain fully alive ogres, who will burst free in four rounds, attacking anything nearby in their rage. The two smaller bulges contain the ogres' sacks of gold (1d6x100 pieces in each). The alcove on the east side of the room will only be revealed if the webbing is fully cleared away. Inside is an iron-banded locked and trapped chest (poison needle, save vs. poison or die). Inside the chest is 1,000 gp, a potion of speed, and a cursed shield (-1).
MedievalKnievel

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Someone throw up one last room to finalize the dungeon and off to PDF it goes!
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby elf23 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 pm

MedievalKnievel wrote:I wasn't planning on doing more rooms, but it looks like this project is starting to stagnate, and we're almost done! So here's the second to last room -- I hope someone is ready to pitch in the last one soon.

If no one's done the last room by tomorrow, I'll finish 'er up... (So, get in there if you've got an idea for room 19) :D

I've already got a hook planned to get my players into this dungeon, so hopefully it'll get a play test some time soon!

And I really like the webbed up ogres, by the way!
elf23

Postby Black Wyvern » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:21 am

I guess I will. Are we still going to do a couple wandering monsters?
Last edited by Black Wyvern on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 am

19. Throghrin Lair: Behind the spider den live five throghrin. The spiders do not molest the clan and they rarely leave preferring to rob the spiders' larder. These retched creatures have dwelt here for many years and become even more twisted by their proximity to the shrine in area 11. The Labyrinth Lord should add four to the reaction table as a result of this ferocity. The leaders pouch contains a potion of fire resistance and he wears eyes of charming which he will use to their best benefit.

Throghrin: Move 120’ (40’), AC 6, HD 3, HP (23, 18, 19, 13, 11), Attack 2(none are armed), Damage 1d3/1d3, Save F3, Morale 10, XP 80 each
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby MedievalKnievel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Here's the document I've been maintaining as we worked on this, both in PDF form and the original Open Office document for anyone that wants to muck with it:

http://www.binkystick.com/~psiegel/gaming/keebler-ruins.pdf
http://www.binkystick.com/~psiegel/gaming/keebler-ruins.odt

I took a few minor liberties:
    Super-imposed Dyson's map over a grid, because I like my maps on a grid. Easy to drop if you don't like it.
    Most rooms had titles, but a couple didn't. I added titles to the rooms missing them.
    Most rooms did not include stat blocks, but a couple did. I dropped the existing of stat blocks for consistency.
    Bolded all references to other rooms and monster names, so they would pop out.

The most obvious thing still missing is a wandering monster chart. I put an empty one in there as a place-holder. It has 12 entries, but that isn't to imply we need that number of entries. It could also be ditched entirely.

There's also a noticeable chunk of white space at the end, simply due to the size of the content. I could probably tweak the formatting to try and fill the page, but if anyone artistic out there wanted to donate a picture to eat up the space that would be really awesome.
MedievalKnievel

Postby elf23 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Wow thanks MedievalKnievel, that's looking excellent already!

And great work all around, everyone! I really look forward to running this dungeon with my group!

A couple of things I noticed:
1. The columns could do with a bit more space between them, imho... I found them hard to read ("1. Watch Tower. The upper floors of collapse, causing 2d6 damage", see what I mean?) Perhaps the font could be a tad smaller to accommodate the extra column gap?
2. Room 16 needs to mention that the key to the empty treasure vault (mentioned in the description of room 13) is in there somewhere. Presumably it's on the floor amongst the rubble, along with the coins.
3. The following sentence change would make more sense, I think, in room 8: "If befriended, the dryads will offer the PCs their pick of one of the hanging bags if they will help to thwart the actions of "the poisoner" living in section E." -> "If befriended, the dryads will offer the PCs their pick of one of the hanging bags if they will help to stop the influence of "the poisoner" in room 13.".
Last edited by elf23 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elf23

Postby elf23 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Wandering monsters:

1. Kobolds (2d4)
2. Shade of cultist, missing right hand (non-combat)

(By the way, the hook I've got planned for my group to find this dungeon is that they're hired by a wizard to go and extract the weird mutant body in room 13, which he has seen by scrying. He's obviously interested in odd extra-planar matters.)
elf23

Postby MedievalKnievel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:08 am

Updated files include:

1. Spelling/grammar fixes from elf23.
2. Doubled width of column gutters.
3. Properly embedded image into odt file rather than including dead link.

http://www.binkystick.com/~psiegel/gami ... -ruins.pdf
http://www.binkystick.com/~psiegel/gami ... -ruins.odt
MedievalKnievel

PreviousNext

Return to Open Workshop