Request for LL Digest-sized Books/PDF

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Request for LL Digest-sized Books/PDF

Postby Aplus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 pm

I recently purchased the S&W:WB PDF for the printable digest-sized booklets, and they are great! I should also note that I had already purchased a physical white box a few weeks before, but like the idea of being able to print more "play copies" that I wouldn't have to be concerned about getting trashed.

I have printed up a copy of LL in digest booklets, but it's not laid out for that and looks crappy. The type is too small and the giant gaps at the top and bottom of each page are bothersome. Furthermore, it was a little challenging to figure out how to best divide the book up into multiple booklets.

I think offering this format could be a good move for LL. I know that in my experience, it was very helpful to get my 3E group to try the game, to be able to print them up a copy of the character and spell books. I am of the opinion that this low-cost lead-in can ultimately lead to more exposure to the game, and in turn, more physical book sales.

Perhaps my situation is unique (I own a laser printer and a long-reach stapler), but if you agree and would like to see this product, and would be willing to pay for it please post.

If you think I am crazy and am all alone on my little island of digest-sized booklet love, then feel free to post that as well.

Thanks for your consideration of this suggestion!

edit: I've taken a stab at doing this conversion myself. However, I'm a big noob when it comes to these things, so please leave feedback, suggestions, and point out any errors you catch. If you like it and would like to see more of the content similarly converted, make a post and if there is sufficient interest, I will do my best to deliver. Thanks!

Book I: Characters (revision 0.05)
Last edited by Aplus on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Re: Request for LL Digest-sized Books/PDF

Postby Aplus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 pm

P.S. - The biggest issue I had with making LL books was having saving throw and attack tables in section 5 rather than section 2.
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Postby Denim N Leather » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:19 pm

I own the print editions of the books. However, I would love to see a digest size format of sections 2 and 3 for players.
Denim N Leather

Postby scadgrad » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:36 pm

You make a very good point. I printed both LL and AEC at digest size and took them to Kinkos for spiral comb binding. They look really swell for what they are, but yeah, the gutters are messed up and much of the text runs into the margin. I only printed them out for the benefit of players and have the hardback for myself.

I'll put my money where my mouth is though. I'd pony up for a PDF that is typeset and setup specifically for digest printing. I'm betting others would as well.
scadgrad

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:18 am

scadgrad wrote:You make a very good point. I printed both LL and AEC at digest size and took them to Kinkos for spiral comb binding. They look really swell for what they are, but yeah, the gutters are messed up and much of the text runs into the margin. I only printed them out for the benefit of players and have the hardback for myself.

I'll put my money where my mouth is though. I'd pony up for a PDF that is typeset and setup specifically for digest printing. I'm betting others would as well.

I would even volunteer to do the typesetting.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Wulfgar22 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 am

I'd buy. Especially an LL Player's Handbook.
Wulfgar22

Postby Skathros » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 pm

I would buy the complete LL rules in digest size for me and my regular players, with "player books" for new comers or folks I want to get into the game. I own 3 soft cover digest WB books and 2 hard cover digest. They are awesome, portable, and look great! I'm not really into boxes a la WB/BHP stuff, nor do I like the chopped up/stapled booklets of the complete rules. But the Lulu digest WB books are top notch! If my favourite retro got the same treatment, i'd be ecstatic!
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Mach Front » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 pm

After getting my hardback copy of S&W:WB, I'd have to say that I love the way it 'feels'.
LL feels right as full, standard-sized books, though.

Having said that, I think it would be awesome to have re-formatted-for-digest-size pfs and books.
Also, if a guy like Dyson Logos says he'd be willing to mess with it, that's all I need to hear.
I mean...have you seen that man's character sheets for B/X and LL?!? They totally wield swords in all four of their Martian arms! Seriously. :)
Mach Front

Postby oldgamergeek » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I have made a LL and MF digest sized booklets using this open source program.
http://opensource.marten.dk/sider/pdf-b ... or_67.aspx
It works real well.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Postby austrodavicus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks for that oldgamergeek. I used to use an online booklet creator, but a few months ago they shut down their free service to sell their programme. I looked but couldn't find any alternatives. This is very handy.
austrodavicus

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord