Goblin Characters

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Goblin Characters

Postby gentleman john » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:43 pm

As I am using up some of last year's holiday before going back to work, I thought I'd put my time to good use and start the year with something for LL.

As a result, I have created a file giving some ideas for goblin PCs. The URL will take you the location of the file on my GoogleDocs account. It's open to everyone.

I look forward to getting some feedback.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9m0sXWdlPDQYzI0NDdmODktMmZjMS00YTkxLTlkNGEtZGJlYzBkNmI5ZTRi&hl=en&authkey=CPC-ye8H
gentleman john

Re: Goblin Characters

Postby samwise7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Goblins are fun to play. I would also suggest that Kobolds are fun to play. :)
"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg
samwise7

Postby scadgrad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:10 pm

My goblin variant for Averlorn, consider them a mix of the goblins from Harry Potter and the ferengi with more of a magical bent:

BLEAKER GOBLINS: Often regarded as a bizarre mix of goblin and gnome, these creatures are found in the cities of Averlorn. They are a clever race, inventive and given to magical research and other intellectual pursuits. Bleaker goblins, which obviously share a distant ancestor with the common goblin, differ from their goblin cousins in that they have the large bulbous nose so characteristic of gnomes. Additionally, males sport thick beards (they curiously lack an accompanying moustache) and eyebrows, which they wear in a variety of imaginative styles, though always neat and trim. For such small creatures, they hold their kind in high regard to the point of being viewed as arrogant bores by most other races. No one would dispute their skill as spell casters, scholars and inventors, the problem seems to be that they are perhaps to much aware of their own perceived superiority.

Players should use the base gnome for bleaker goblin creation except that they enjoy a +1 save modifier to spells and devices rather than the +2 of their gnomish cousins. Their ability modifiers are +1 DEX, +1 INT, and -1 CHA. They make spectacular thieves and are unlimited in advancement. They may also advance to 12th level magic user, perhaps even higher with exceptional intelligence. Most bleaker goblin PCs or NPCs will be a multi-class character with levels in either illusionist or magic user.
scadgrad

Postby gentleman john » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm

samwise7 wrote:Goblins are fun to play. I would also suggest that Kobolds are fun to play. :)

Never tried kobolds. I hear they taste like chicken ... 8-)
gentleman john

Postby connivingsumo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm

@OP,
What a neat idea! A Goblin as a player character - cool. I'm going to click on your link and check that out!

scadgrad wrote:My goblin variant for Averlorn, consider them a mix of the goblins from Harry Potter and the ferengi with more of a magical bent:

BLEAKER GOBLINS: Often regarded as a bizarre mix of goblin and gnome, these creatures are found in the cities of Averlorn. They are a clever race, inventive and given to magical research and other intellectual pursuits. Bleaker goblins, which obviously share a distant ancestor with the common goblin, differ from their goblin cousins in that they have the large bulbous nose so characteristic of gnomes. Additionally, males sport thick beards (they curiously lack an accompanying moustache) and eyebrows, which they wear in a variety of imaginative styles, though always neat and trim. For such small creatures, they hold their kind in high regard to the point of being viewed as arrogant bores by most other races. No one would dispute their skill as spell casters, scholars and inventors, the problem seems to be that they are perhaps to much aware of their own perceived superiority.

Players should use the base gnome for bleaker goblin creation except that they enjoy a +1 save modifier to spells and devices rather than the +2 of their gnomish cousins. Their ability modifiers are +1 DEX, +1 INT, and -1 CHA. They make spectacular thieves and are unlimited in advancement. They may also advance to 12th level magic user, perhaps even higher with exceptional intelligence. Most bleaker goblin PCs or NPCs will be a multi-class character with levels in either illusionist or magic user.

A mix between Harry Potter Goblins & Ferengi! Interesting, and I like your descriptions, etc. I'm wondering if Bleaker Goblins make better Magic-Users/Illusionists than Gnomes? If so, maybe their save modifier should be equal to (or more) than the Gnomes? If they're at all like the Ferengi (and even the Harry Potter goblins) maybe their CHA should be -2 LOL.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby scadgrad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 am

Glad you like the Bleakers. My current LL campaign is a re-imagining of my setting from the 80s (1st ed and early 2nd ed) and a break from the setting that I ran for 2.0-3.5. Averlorn was heavily influenced by Star Trek and there are considerable distances separating the various nations. There are several sky-fairing races and they behave in an allegorical fashion after the Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, etc. Throw in a very heavy dose of S&S via Moorcock, Lieber, and REH and that's pretty much how it works.

As for the gnomes of Averlorn, they are considerably more powerful as Illusionists than Bleaker Goblins...

GNOMES: The gnomes of Averlorn are very magical creatures, cousins of the fae and masters of illusions and trickery. Gnome communities can be found in both forests and hills, but very rarely in the cities of men. In game play, gnomes with an 18 INT enjoy unlimited advancement in the Illusionist class and gain a 15% bonus to learn any illusionist spell. Upon achieving name level as an Illusionist, gnomes may attempt to cast magic user spells from scrolls with a base 60% + Illusionist Level. Whether or not the attempt is successful, the individual spell is removed from the scroll.

You know, I went back and forth with the -2 CHA for Bleaker Goblins, but I didn't want them carrying the same social baggage as Half-Orcs.
scadgrad

Postby connivingsumo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:40 pm

scadgrad wrote:Glad you like the Bleakers. My current LL campaign is a re-imagining of my setting from the 80s (1st ed and early 2nd ed) and a break from the setting that I ran for 2.0-3.5. Averlorn was heavily influenced by Star Trek and there are considerable distances separating the various nations. There are several sky-fairing races and they behave in an allegorical fashion after the Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, etc. Throw in a very heavy dose of S&S via Moorcock, Lieber, and REH and that's pretty much how it works.

As for the gnomes of Averlorn, they are considerably more powerful as Illusionists than Bleaker Goblins...

GNOMES: The gnomes of Averlorn are very magical creatures, cousins of the fae and masters of illusions and trickery. Gnome communities can be found in both forests and hills, but very rarely in the cities of men. In game play, gnomes with an 18 INT enjoy unlimited advancement in the Illusionist class and gain a 15% bonus to learn any illusionist spell. Upon achieving name level as an Illusionist, gnomes may attempt to cast magic user spells from scrolls with a base 60% + Illusionist Level. Whether or not the attempt is successful, the individual spell is removed from the scroll.

You know, I went back and forth with the -2 CHA for Bleaker Goblins, but I didn't want them carrying the same social baggage as Half-Orcs.

I really like your Gnomes!
Ok, not choosing the -2CHA for comparison on the 1/2Orc - that makes sense; however, which one would be more ugly? Me thinks the Bleaker, but -then again- CHA isn't just looks, it's also "charisma" and then the Bleaker might be more 'social' in that regard... but, then again, if they're really THAT arrogant. Hmm... interesting. You should fire up your Averlorn campaign here - I'd like to play in it!
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Return to Labyrinth Lord