Jurassic Jamboree

This forum is for general discussion about Pacesetter products and the Pacesetter System. This forum is also appropriate for historical Paesetter ltd. products that are no longer part of the product line.

Jurassic Jamboree

Postby seneschal » Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Alright, already. Enough whining about no dinosaurs, either in Time Master or Cryptworld. Here are a few prehistoric critters to get us started. I went for generic types rather than specific species. Feel free to give suggestions on abilities, experience ratings, or new critters. Cue music by John Williams ...

Dinosaurs for Cryptworld

“Jurassic Juggernaut”

The Jurassic Juggernaut is a generic bipedal B-movie carnosaur, all appetite and teeth. It can chase prey at up to 45 mph, and attacks with either its massive bite or by knocking prey down with a swipe of its tail and then biting. It is hungry and aggressive but not the sharpest tool on the bench. The Juggernaut is probably one the largest and most dangerous animal foes adventurers will ever have to face. Usually encountered singly, Juggernauts sometimes travel in mated pairs.

STR: 11 (151) WPR: 2 (30)
DEX: NA PER: NA
AGL: 3 (45) PCN: 3 (45)
STA: 8 (120) PWR: NA
ATT: 2/98% WND: 19
MV: L 350

Experience: 3,000

“Winged Terror”

Your classic B-movie flying reptile, the Winged Terror is large and strong enough to carry off nubile adventurers regardless of what modern science has to say about the matter. It attacks with talons or beak, which may or may not have teeth. It is covered with short fur. Not as tough as some prehistoric monsters, but Terrors may travel in flocks.

STR: 4 (60) WPR: 2 (30)
AGL: 5 (75) PCN: 5 (75)
STA: 3 (45) PWR: NA
ATT: 1/68% WND: 12
MV: L 30 F 225

Experience: 500

“Pack Hunter”

Hunters are medium-sized biped dinosaurs that form groups to stalk prey. In addition to nasty teeth and grasping claws, they are often equipped with long talons on their powerful hind feet with which to disembowel their victims. They are fast runners and have excellent senses. Hunters are smarter than any dinosaur has a right to be and have limited manipulative ability with their foreclaws.

STR: 5 (75) WPR: 2 (30)
DEX: 2 (30) PER: NA
AGL: 4 (60) PCN: 3 (45)
STA: 4 (60) PWR: NA
ATT: 2/75% WND: 14
MV: L 225

Experience: 60

“Super Sauropod”

Super Sauropods are massive long-necked, long-tailed quadruped herbivores. Scientists today believe they were prairie-roaming herd animals sort of like elephants or bison. They prefer to flee danger but will defend themselves by bashing foes with their tails or by trampling them, using their outrageous weight to good advantage. In old movies, however, Super Sauropods were more likely to be solitary amphibians, and omnivorous. After all, even deer and chickens won’t pass up a chance to get a little extra protein by gobbling a mouse or lizard. How much more so a critter larger than several city buses?

STR: 13 (181) WPR: 2 (30)
AGL: 4 (60) PCN: 3 (45)
STA: 9 (135) PWR: NA
ATT: 1/120% WND: 21
MV: L 225 W 150

Experience: 2,000
Last edited by seneschal on Sun May 24, 2015 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
seneschal

Re: Jurassic Jamboree

Postby BigJackBrass » Thu May 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Wonderful stuff, plugging a big gap in the Pacesetter library.
BigJackBrass

Postby seneschal » Sun May 24, 2015 4:52 am

I adjusted the Wounds on a couple of the dinosaurs after coming up with an extended Wound Chart, based on a logical progression from Cryptworld character creation:

STA --- Wounds
80 --- 15
90 --- 16
100 --- 17
110 --- 18
120 --- 19
130 --- 20
140 --- 21
150 --- 22
160 --- 23

Etc.

As terrifying as they are, most things in Cryptworld are human-scale creatures. This is appropriate for most movie monsters but not for huge critters like dinosaurs, King Kong, the giant mutant fish thing from The Host, or Japanese kaiju. So to do the write-ups above I had to calculate the progression on Cryptworld's Abilities scores.
seneschal

Postby seneschal » Mon May 25, 2015 2:40 am

“Horned Horror”

Quadruped herbivores, Horned Horrors are stocky herd beasts with an attitude. They are notable for their beaked mouths and the bony frills on the backs of their skulls that cover their necks. They vary in size, number and location of horns, and shape of neck frill but all of them tend to be irritable and aggressive toward potential threats, such as adventurers. They attack by charging and either goring or tossing foes with their horns. The frills give Horned Horrors AR 50, Type C armor to their heads and necks.

STR: 9 (135) --- WPR: 2 (30)
DEX: NA --- PER: NA
AGL: 5 (75) --- PCN: 5 (75)
STA: 8 (120) --- PWR: NA
ATT: 1/105% --- WND: 19
MV: L 250

Experience: 1,500

“Nefarious Nibbler”

Not all dinosaurs are behemoths. Nibblers are no larger than a domestic chicken, long-necked, long-tailed bipeds with large eyes, lots of tiny but sharp teeth, and grasping foreclaws. They seem laughable opponents at first but they are relentless, patient, persistent hunters capable of wearing down prey much larger than themselves. They hunt in flocks or packs of 15 to 60 individuals, quietly shadowing potential meals, carefully staying out of reach. Ever so often a nibbler or two will dart in to nip the target then flee if possible. Their bite contains a potency 3 poison. Nibblers will harry prey until it is too exhausted and groggy to avoid them; then they will swarm in to devour it, one tiny mouthful at a time.

STR: 2 (30) --- WPR: 2 (30)
DEX: 1 (15) --- PER: NA
AGL: 5 (75) --- PCN: 5 (75)
STA: 2 (30) --- PWR: NA
ATT: 1/53% --- WND: 11
MV: L 225

Experience: 300
seneschal

Postby MattyHelms » Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 am

I have nothing to add other than thank you for taking the initiative and posting these. Perhaps these and your expanded wound guidance can make it into the next book. For me, I'll be using these for an Ultra Q campaign.
MattyHelms

Postby jeff » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:44 pm

Nice!
jeff

Postby seneschal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:23 am

jeff wrote:Nice!

Thanks! And feel free to add any write-ups of critters you'd like your players to encounter. I tried to figure out stats for armored dinosaurs such as stegosaurs and ankylosaurs but couldn't figure out how to differentiate them mechanically from the beasts I already had. Maybe I'll take another stab at it.
seneschal

Return to General Pacesetter Discussion