Non-combat skills seem limited...

For discussion of the TIMEMASTER RPG now owned by Goblinoid Games, originally published by Pacesetter in 1984.

Non-combat skills seem limited...

Postby sniderman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Was putting together an NPC for Timemaster who was not combat-oriented. Let's say he's a historically important philosopher/writer. Historically, he never was involved in war nor trained/used weapons of any kind in his life. Steering clear of the "give him a standard 'pistol' skill" train of thought, I decided to focus more on the non-combat skills. That's when I realized the non-combat skills were very limited. Outdoor survival? Equestrian? Gambling? Theft? Tracking? There are 42 separate melee/combat skills, yet only 20 non-combat skills. And those skills listed just didn't seem appropriate, although this PC is very well-educated and world-reknowned.

For example, suppose you were trying to stat out Charles Darwin? Steven Hawking? Carl Sagan? Heck, any 19th/20th century scientist? How would you do it?

I'm beginning to think that a supplement for further Timemaster Skills would be something useful for situations like this, so non-combat historically important figures aren't saddled with "Mechanics" and "Historical Specialty" as the only appropriate Skill sets. (To flesh it out, maybe add some new Paranormal Talents...)
sniderman

Re: Non-combat skills seem limited...

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Several skills were added in Rotworld, so you might start there. That will probably fill most of the gaps from Timemaster.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby sniderman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Yup, it sure seems like some of the "holes" were filled with the Rotworld non-combat skills. Perhaps in a future update of TM they can be implemented, or perhaps released separately as an addendum to the game.
sniderman

Postby sniderman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 am

Actually, I just noticed that Timetricks has an entire section on new skills that seem to add many including "intellectual" abilities glossed over in the original rules:
    Acrobatics/Gymnastics
    Advanced Temporal Engineering
    Artifact Construction
    Bargaining
    Diplomacy
    Historical Analysis
    Nautical
    Navigation/Astrogation
    Research/Knowledge Skills
sniderman

Return to TIMEMASTER