New guy with some questions!

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

New guy with some questions!

Postby johnnybleu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Greetings one and all!

First, I should clear up that while I'm new to LL, I've played quite a bit of Classic D&D so I still have a fair understanding of the system. That being said, after reading both the core book and the AEC, I'm left with a quite a few questions-- the more prominent of which are as follow...

Which spells allow for a save? Reading through some of the spell description, I've realised that several entries specifically state whether or not a save is allowed. However, there's also a significant number or spells where it simply doesn't say. Of course, for some spells no save would be necessary, but if you want to make that ogre dance, doesn't he get a chance to save what little dignity he has left? As LL, I would simply say that every spell which has an involuntary effect on another creature is allowed a save, unless specifically stated in it's description. How would others rule it?

Also, is there clear list of weapon sizes? Normally I wouldn't care, but when it comes to what class/race can use what weapon based on their size, then it matters. For example, Magic-Users can only use small weapons like a dagger. Are there any other small weapons, or can they really only use a dagger (as in basic D&D)? This question also applies to two-weapon fighting, since you can only have a small weapon in your off-hand. Equally confusing is that Dwarves cannot used two-handed weapons, while Gnomes and Halflings cannot use large and two-handed weapons. Is there a distinction between the two? Are all large weapons two-handed or not? Should I just use my judgment and common sense when it comes to deciding what is considered a small or large weapon?

I understand that LL is a clone of the Basic/Expert version of the "other game", while I'm used to playing with the Rules Cyclopedia which adds quite a few extra rules and options, but some of the wording is genuinely confusing.
Colorist, artist, and overall decent person.
My fantasy art thread- http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2152
My blog- http://johnnybleuart.blogspot.ca/
johnnybleu

Re: New guy with some questions!

Postby bighara » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Welcome! :)

I generally err on the side of allowing a save v. spells, but not always.

IMO, unless it's something like a bow or crossbow, 2H = large. I usually let MUs use the 1e Dagger/Dart/Staff options. Small for 2 weapon purposes, my rule of thumb is "If it does a d4, it's small." So things like dagger, hand axe, club, or possibly light hammer.
bighara

Postby johnnybleu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Also, I think I remember you from Dragonsfoot...

I like the way you handle the weapons-- that's pretty much how I was thinking of doing things, actually. I was also considering of just going with d4 damage means small weapon, d6 is medium, d8 and up is large. Of course, that's not entirely consistent and it means that Magic-Users will be able to use strange weapons-- for an old-school wizard, anyway. ;)
My fantasy art thread- http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2152
johnnybleu

Postby austrodavicus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm

johnnybleu wrote:Which spells allow for a save? Reading through some of the spell description, I've realised that several entries specifically state whether or not a save is allowed. However, there's also a significant number or spells where it simply doesn't say.

Welcome to the forum johnnybleu.

On the subject of spells and saving throws, it says on page 19: "Some spells allow saving throws, and this will be noted in the spell description." So in other words, if it doesn't specifically mention a saving throw, then there isn't one.
austrodavicus

Postby johnnybleu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm

I posted this question in the AEC Errata thread, but never got a reply, so I'll post it again here.

I noticed that in the Fighter's class description it states that Fighters get an additional attack per round starting at 15th Level, and then gain on more attack every 5 levels after that for a maximum of 4 attacks per round. However, since Fighters cap at level 20, shouldn't the maximum number of attacks per round be 3? Or do they actually start getting extra attacks at 10th level, for a maximum of 4?

That's how it's written in the Core book, as well as the AEC, so I was wondering if it was intentional. Whatever the case, I'm still confused. :D
johnnybleu

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 pm

In all versions of D&D there's really not an "upper limit." So I suppose it's the same for LL. The 4th attack per round happens at 30th level, which is close to what happens with the Mentzer edition of D&D.
rabindranath72

Postby connivingsumo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 am

WELCOME JOHNNYBLEU!! :D

I think the best advice is the one you suggested for yourself - following your common sense, which it appears you have plenty of :)

You will find that the pbp (play by post) games being run here (and elsewhere) have plenty of "House Rules" and that is absolutely your invitation to 'tweak' that which you don't care for, or - more importantly - that which doesn't make a lot of sense to you.

I'm pretty new here myself, so I mainly just wanted to chime in with a 'welcome!'

:mrgreen:
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Return to Labyrinth Lord