Picking up the Pace(setter)?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Picking up the Pace(setter)?

Postby seneschal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Looking over the discussion threads, it seems as if Goblinoid's Pacesetter Games titles aren't getting the love that perhaps they should. Since Labyrinth Lord is the flagship product I suppose it is logical that it is the most discussed. Mutant Future isn't far behind. But after the initial excitement, not much seems to be being said about TimeMaster, Rotworld, and Sandman. :( Anyone playing? What new Pacesetter system titles would Goblinoid fans like to see?
seneschal

Re: Picking up the Pace(setter)?

Postby Blood axe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:37 pm

I feel the same here. I've tried getting a Rotworld pbp and had no luck. Same with even MF. LL is by far, the most popular.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

I'd love to see an espionage setting using the Pacesetter system. I find the system to be interesting.

I find that LL pbp games tend to run better in general, perhaps because the system is so well known and perhaps because there are so many adventures out there (how many LL pbp games are running old modules?). Even as a sandbox environment, LL is a very well known mechanic: get quests in the local tavern or by the local lord/baron/king.

It would help to have modules for each of the settings that are run here. I played a very enjoyable pbp game of TimeMaster on this board, but that was using one of the old modules. Getting new modules/adventures/etc for TimeMaster, Rotworld or Sandman would go far, I think. That said, module making for LL is a very well known thing. The OGL makes it a snap. I'm not sure what the rules are for making new modules for the Pacesetter system.
greyarea

Postby Wizardawn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Blood axe wrote:I feel the same here. I've tried getting a Rotworld pbp and had no luck. Same with even MF. LL is by far, the most popular.

Same as it was for me in the 80's. Everyone wanted to play some D&D variant and never really touch the Star Frontiers or Gamma World. Most people relate to fantasy settings better than other genres. We grew up with giants and beanstalks, trolls under bridges, and maidens captured by dragons.
Wizardawn

Postby sniderman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 pm

greyarea wrote: I played a very enjoyable pbp game of TimeMaster on this board, but that was using one of the old modules.

Actually, as the CM of that game, I assure you it was written by yours truly and not an "old module." :D (I'm thinking of fleshing it out for an actual release, but it's only an idea.) I'm running another new module for Timemaster at Gary Con in about 3 weeks, as well as a game of Chill, first edition. (Not a Goblinoid-Pacesetter system, but a classic Pacesetter Action Table game nonetheless.)

I'm a big fan of the Pacesetter system, as I think it's very intuitive and simple once you wrap your brain around the Action Table. The lack of support/following could be that the games are a bit more narrow in focus and/or "big concept" (zombie horror survival, time travel, gonzo otherworld dream-state..thing). Perhaps if the system were more general ala GURPS, the settings could be released separately to allow for genre customization.

Now then, as far as future Goblinoid Pacesetter games and support, I know of at least three projects in the works. One that's written (I've physically seen, read, and reviewed it); one that I've been personally working on (back-burnered while I finish up some Mutant Future projects); and one that was mentioned in passing as a concept idea. So I don't think the Pacesetter system is in danger of being forgotten or ignored. ;)
sniderman

Postby greyarea » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm

sniderman wrote:
greyarea wrote: I played a very enjoyable pbp game of TimeMaster on this board, but that was using one of the old modules.

Actually, as the CM of that game, I assure you it was written by yours truly and not an "old module." :D

Whoops, my bad. Let's just say, it was good enough to be a published module. In fact, it rocked.

I'm glad to hear more Pacesetter material is on the way. :)
greyarea

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 pm

No worries, the Pacesetter System will not be forgotten or left behind. As Tim mentioned, there are projects in the works. The main issue is I'm now working a full time job, and I have a lot of product lines at this point so being a one-man show means I have to do a project here or there when I can. I am working on an idea, however, to try to provide some more support, but stay tuned.

I'm way behind in updating my website, but I do have a free license available for third parties to publish with the Pacesetter System, to make stuff that is compatible with Timemaster or Rotworld. Unlike the LL license, this license requires permission and is at the moment available only upon request. I may post it on the site though, so people can find out about it. I may also follow the Savage Worlds model of having both commercial ad fan licensing set up, and maybe that will help spur some creativity and support.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby GreyKatana » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 am

Blood axe wrote:I feel the same here. I've tried getting a Rotworld pbp and had no luck.

I loved reading your Rotworld PbP Blood axe, you were doing a great job.
GreyKatana

Postby Blood axe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 pm

GreyKatana wrote:
Blood axe wrote:I feel the same here. I've tried getting a Rotworld pbp and had no luck.

I loved reading your Rotworld PbP Blood axe, you were doing a great job.

THANK YOU! :D

I actually want to start it up again, or a similar PBP game. I have picked up War of the Dead, and some chapters of Tribulation of the Dead. So I have alot of material. It tends to force you a down certain path though, not a sandbox. But I can get around that.
I am still learning the system, so mistakes have been made. ( and will still be made!) My real love is for LL & MF, but I like playing other types of PBP games instead of the usual dungeon crawl.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby sniderman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:28 pm

For folks who were wondering about any new Pacesetter game developments, how about a Kickstarter to fund the newest addition to the Goblinoid Games line? MAJUS, as described by writer Mike Curtis is an urban fantasy/film noir RPG, ala "Hellblazer" meets "The Maltese Falcon".

Here's the blurb from the Kickstarter:

Welcome to MAJUS, the roleplaying game where the players take on the roles of modern sorcerers enmeshed in a conspiracy whose roots extend back to the dawn of civilization. They are Maji, players in the Old Game battling to control, protect, or destroy the enigmatic Skein that binds them and others like them together in a conflict none of them can escape.

MAJUS is a game of conspiracy, deceit, and high weirdness set in the modern era. The Maji are not lightning-throwing superheroes, blasting one another in the middle of Times Square, or demi-gods that soar through the stratosphere. Instead, they are consummate gamesmen engaged in a daily contest of wills, intelligence, and, above all, magic to advance their own goals. In the world of the Majus, secrecy is paramount and the best victory is winning a contest your enemy never even knew he was participating in.

sniderman

Next

Return to Open Discussion