Combat sequence

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Combat sequence

Postby Eldrad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Honestly they really slow things down compared to the Initiative System as is, especially when there are large amounts of players and NPCs.
Eldrad

Postby petespahn » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 am

Eldrad wrote:Honestly they really slow things down compared to the Initiative System as is, especially when there are large amounts of players and NPCs.

Well of course by comparison individual rolls slow down combat as opposed to group rolls but I've found it keeps my players engaged in the battle. We start at the highest number (roll + weapon speed calculated by each player) and then i work my way down from there. My players like to roll dice as much as possible and they like the spotlight that shines when it's their character's segment to act so it works for my group but may be too tedious for others. If anyone wants to start a new thread on weapon speed/casting time I'll join in if i have anything to add.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby jrodman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

Interestingly, Labyrinth Lord combat rules appear to have no requirements that spellcasters may not move in the round they are casting.
B/X certainly contains this requirement, even in the very brief and clear summary of actions in combat.

It's not clear if this is an editing oversight or intentional change.

I will probably play with no-movement for casting rounds and see how it goes.
jrodman

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 pm

jrodman wrote:Interestingly, Labyrinth Lord combat rules appear to have no requirements that spellcasters may not move in the round they are casting.
B/X certainly contains this requirement, even in the very brief and clear summary of actions in combat.

It's not clear if this is an editing oversight or intentional change.

I will probably play with no-movement for casting rounds and see how it goes.

pg. 19 "Spell casters may take no other actions during the same round they intend to cast a spell."

But, yes this could be mentioned in the combat section to reinforce it.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby jrodman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:39 am

That text could easily be interpreted (as I did) to mean that they may not attack, throw stuff, pick up sticks, etc. It read, to me, like a reiteration of one action per turn.
jrodman

Postby Malcadon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:11 am

Yeah, my method is more tactical and a bit complex. The premise of combat is that actions happen all at once, but their are some actions that supersedes others or prevent actions by failed Stun Saves (basically, being unable to preform your action by injury or collision). This is meant to convey the frantic, fast-pace nature of combat.

Here are my steps:

Encounter Sequence
1.) Determine Encounter Reaction (to see if they are friendly or hostile)
2.) Declare Actions (the players debate possible action by committee, and the party must conclude a singe decision)

Encounter actions are:
  • Negotiate (stand and talk)
  • Attack! (go into combat)
  • Retreat! (party turns and run)

Negotiation Sequence
0.) Determine if Party Knows the Language of Encounter (I use a reaction-like table instead of making a large list of known language)
1.) Delegate (the party chooses a speaker to speak for the party, and the leader of a pack of monsters speak for them; much of this is outright role-playing)
2.) Adjust Reaction (the GM may readjust the monster's reaction based on the Speaker's words or actions, or have the Speaker make a CHA-based roll)
3.) Repeat (from step 1 until negotiations ends)

Combat Sequence
0.) Determine Initiative (both sides — the players and monsters — roll to see who have the tactical advantage)
1.) Declare Actions (the side that lost initiative declares their actions first, and the side that won can declare their actions based on what the other side is going to do — speed and nimbleness has nothing to do with initiative; the players debate their actions by committee before concluding what their actions will be)

Combat actions are:
  • Quick shot (fire missile then move)
  • Delayed fire (stand and shoot at moving targets)
  • Run (move x3 quickly, but nothing else)
  • Charge! (move x2 fast to move into melee; one attack limit; death-from-above/drop attacks count as charging)
  • Fight (move or stand, then attack in melee)
  • Cast spell (stand to cheat and preform the rituals necessary to evoke the spell; spells that allow for quicker action maybe treated as range or melee actions with no movement possible; turning demons & undead and triggering spell-like abilities counts as a normal spell action)
2.) Missile Combat (anyone who is not distracted or in melee may shoot; damage is simultaneous and kicks in at the end of this step; attackers can delay their attack to interrupt moving figures in the next step; if a shooter is hit by another shooter, then he may forfeit his current attack to outright avoid the attack — basically, he becomes pin-down by enemy fire)
3.) Movement (anyone who is moving moves, starting with runners and chargers; if hit by a delayed missile attack, you must make a Save vs Stun to avoid ending your movement and falling to the ground; the same roll is made for anyone who crosses paths while running or charging, as everyone is moving at the same time)
4.) Melee Combat (anyone who is attacking in melee combat attacks, starting with chargers; reach weapons supersedes chargers or anyone else trying to engage in melee, and if hit, the charger/attacker must make a Save vs Stun to avoid loosing the attack this round; damage is simultaneous, but applied in the following order: reach weapons > charge attacks > normal attacks; this order allows an attacker with an advantage to not take damage if the opponent is killed outright or knocked down by a bad Stun Save roll)
5.) Magic Effects Kicks-In (by default, spells starts at the end of the turn and continue to the next turn; if at anytime a caster takes damage, the caster must make a Save vs Stun to maintain the cheating and rituals necessary to evoke the spell)
6.) Repeat (from step 1 until combat ends)

So, what do you guys think?
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord