Steampunk RPGS?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Steampunk RPGS?

Postby YamItheonly1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 am

hey guys, one of my players had an odd request, "I would love to play a steampunk game, if you could find one"
i went :o :( :? at first, but hey, its something new to try out. so i was wondering if you guys have heard of or played any steampunk rpgs

Thank you
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Re: Steampunk RPGS?

Postby 3llense'g » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 am

There was a steampunk setting for LL back in the day, I'll try to find it for you. :)

Edit: found it! Engines & Empires
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby gentleman john » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Played plenty. I can't recommend Airship Pirates as it isn't really steampunk and the game system sometimes jams. Space 1889 is fun, but difficult to get hold of the old GDW rules. You can get it for Savage Worlds, though. If you want something nice and quick, may I suggest Adventures by Gaslight. It is overpriced and you really need to buy GASLIGHT (a set of miniatures rules by the same author) to get the best from ut, but it is very easy to run, has no assumed background and has a unique alternative experience system where your exploits are only worth something if you can get back to civilisation and publicise them.

I did pick up a copy of Leagues of Adventure, which uses the Ubiquity system from HEX, but I have yet to find a chance to give it a go.
gentleman john

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Castle Falkenstein was steampunk before there was steampunk.
Roger

Postby Atomic Ray » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:37 pm

If you are looking to bridge the two...LL and the theme of steampunk...then add some technology to your LL game...it is a better use of the LL and everyone benefits!

If you are talking Victorian Steampunk, well that is another matter.

But steam...punked into a technology that bypasses other tech...take your LL, create a pocket empire on the far side of the world...airships filled with gas driven by steam...lots of steel/iron/brass/copper...rivets, even where they do not make sense, then add more rivets...basically replace a horse with a steamwork horse that you feed coal to drive the steam that toots out the "muffler"...

It does not take much...the trick is creating a look and feel rather than function per say...got a dog ok now you have a clockwork dog...acts about the same, leaves puddles but they are oil not pee...etc.
Last edited by Atomic Ray on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby finarvyn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm

gentleman john wrote:I can't recommend Airship Pirates as it isn't really steampunk and the game system sometimes jams.
I got really hooked on the song "Airship Pirates" when I was surfing Cubile 7's message boards last summer. I was trying to get more info on The One Ring RPG and kept seeing these references on the boards to Airship Pirates. I happened to look at the rulebook later and it just didn't grab me like I had hoped. Sorry to hear that the system jams up.
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby YHWH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 pm

There's going to be one at free RPG day: Brass & Steel.

Is Apparatus of the Crab steampunk?
YHWH

Postby YamItheonly1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:27 am

YHWH wrote:
Is Apparatus of the Crab steampunk?

You know, I've never thought of that, I do believe it very well could be
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:54 am

I haven't read any of the posts here, so forgive me if this post is just a repeat = no new knowledge!

That said, Shadowrun might be of that era, but "true" steampunk seems right at home with Privateer Press' RPG. You can go to www.privateerpress.com and check out their RPGame. I haven't played it, but the strategy game (much like Warhammer, or WH40k) is pretty fun!!! And the storyline plus the characters seems like a great combo.

Good luck, and let me (us) know how it goes!!! :D
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Thoth Amon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm running a Space 1889 game currently; we are having a good time.
Thoth Amon

Next

Return to Open Discussion