Ape Victorious Errata

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Ape Victorious Errata

Postby Jay_NOLA » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Noticed this error yesterday and figured we needed a thread to collect any errata and report any errors to get corrected before a print version gets released.

Sample Map Error - Theron or Therun

This ape settlement is spelled Theron in the text but Therun on the hex map. What is the correct name for the settlement? I'm suspecting it is Therun which is an anagram for Hunter, a reference to actress Kim Hunter, which fits with the POTA cast name anagrams on the map and in the text as I mentioned in another thread.
Jay_NOLA

Re: Ape Victorious Errata

Postby Jay_NOLA » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Found some more errors:

On the Male Names chart in the Ape names section the name Drusus is given for both 32 & 33.

Name 82 is guven as Theron. Not sure if that is an error given the Theron/Therun error in the Ape Settlements section in the description of the Sample Map.

In the Random Envounter Checks section it refers to the Dangerous Encounters section when it ought to refer to the Dangerous Evolution section for encounter tables and that section has no encounter tables in it.
Jay_NOLA

Postby Blood axe » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks Jay. Maybe errors can get sorted out before the print copy goes on sale?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:19 am

They are suppossed to get fixed in the PDF and in the print version. I got a reply back on RPGNow.com about them. 'm posting the errors, etc. I find on this forum and on RPGNow.com too.
Jay_NOLA

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks Jay one reason I delayed the print version was for issues like this that might come up. If anyone spots anything else before this weekend those fixes can make it into the print edition and the PDF will also get an update.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Jay_NOLA » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 pm

A few others and some rule questions:

1.) The book mentions vehicles in some places but gives no rules for them. (Easy fix is just use the Mutant Future rules for them and work up stats for jeeps, a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, etc. or do an Scribe of Orcus article to cover them if they are needed.)

2.) The Brain Drain power doesn't make it clear that it takes 1 round to use it and the INT drain is permanent.

3.) I don't understand why an astronaut needs to be 9th level to do astronomy and earth science research? If for example the astronaut were a geologist wouldn't he or he be able to be do earth science research? Is 9th level implying that the astronaut get access to certain equipment that allows the research?

4.) Why do orangutan and chimpanzee have armor and weapon use restrictions? Granted most chimpanzee's are not going to be handling say an ancient M16 but I can see a chimpanzee using a rifle in certain situations. Maybe giving a big to hit penalty would be an option. Got asked this by a friend who then went on to point out examples in which he's seen in some POTA stuff ape types that have restrictions using restricted weapons.

5.) Why is Kevlar and ape armor? That seems a bit advanced for the apes to manufacture. Are they just salvaging it?
Jay_NOLA

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:16 pm

For chimps and orangs I would house rule a penalty if you want them to have the option of using those. They are effectively restricted as a matter of training. For Kevlar, it may seem advanced but the apes are able to manage an approximate technology level equivalent to the 1970s in some areas, notably biology and chemistry, with the addition of their peculiar restrictions on some subjects. The astronaut class assumes a more science generalist kind of character, so none would be proper geologists by professional training. They don't do research until later because it assumes their understand and knowledge in these areas increases with experience.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby jeff » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Will there be an Apes Victorious section in the forums?
jeff

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks Dan,

for the chimps and orangs how big of a penalty would you rule for the weapons? I was thing of a -4 but wasn't sure if that would be too high or low.

Also, one thing I was thinking of Underdwellers that you could have an option to let them be different from the way they are described in some campaigns, have the appearance be the one described in the rules or different and more human depending on the campaign and not have all be worshipers of radiation/the bomb. (I was thing of how the ones in Return of the Planet of the Apes animated series seemed to be more in wanting to worship nature (the tree was a sacred symbol) and Judy (usa), plus we never get to see what the look like exactly, and they all didn't just hate the apes (they seemed to understand that just some were the problem from latter episodes).

One other question popped up regarding the conversion rules. In some of the Goblinoid Games other RPGs the attribute range is 3-18 and in others it isn't. So what do you do when you get an attribute that has a cap or higher ranger for another system. Granted that 3-18 tends to be the human range for most attributes, but some exceptions do occur when you get to things like Cha & Int in other games.

Finally, on conversion idea could be to make ape characters a space fearing race for the S&S confederation with some modifications and run a Captain Simian and the Space Monkey's type game.

See the two links bellow for more info on that TV series and they did do a Planet of the Apes episode in that series. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_S ... ce_Monkeys

http://spacemonkeys.net/

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask I seem to be having trouble locating all of the anagrams. How many are in the book and any clues on where any I missed are? I got these as I mentioned before:

Seaton = Heston.
Letonrach = Charleton (actor Charton Heston)
Shairron = Harrison (actress Linda Melson Harrison)
Therun = Hunter (actress Kim Hunter)

Goblinoid Games wrote:For chimps and orangs I would house rule a penalty if you want them to have the option of using those. They are effectively restricted as a matter of training. For Kevlar, it may seem advanced but the apes are able to manage an approximate technology level equivalent to the 1970s in some areas, notably biology and chemistry, with the addition of their peculiar restrictions on some subjects. The astronaut class assumes a more science generalist kind of character, so none would be proper geologists by professional training. They don't do research until later because it assumes their understand and knowledge in these areas increases with experience.
Jay_NOLA

Postby k-slacker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:42 am

If the pdf is being refreshed, note the following issue with the bookmarks:

Instead of just "Ape Names", the bookmark for p.100 gives the full first paragraph "Players may consult the list of names below..."
k-slacker

Return to Open Discussion