Music for Gaming

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Music for Gaming

Postby MythAdvocate » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:31 pm

What sorts of music do you like to play during your games? I prefer Progressive Rock like Rush, Yes and similar. To me, D&D and Prog Rock have always gone hand in hand. Not that I am against other sorts of music during games, this just really gets my creative juices flowing.

One band I have recently encountered is Wolf People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDbWuUw5uY&feature=related) a folksy prog rock band from the British Isles, and a new favorite.
MythAdvocate

Re: Music for Gaming

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm

I have music from Ultima Online, WOW, EQ, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Heroes III, Heroes IV, Heroes V, Diablo and Planscape Torment. I took all the softer music (meaning no harsh/loud battle music) and just hit the random button.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby 3llense'g » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

djeryv wrote:I have music from Ultima Online, WOW, EQ, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Heroes III, Heroes IV, Heroes V, Diablo and Planscape Torment. I took all the softer music (meaning no harsh/loud battle music) and just hit the random button.

- Djeryv

Hell yes videogame music! I myself listen to the Baldur's Gate and Majesty soundtracks why developing my rpg videogame. And sometimes the official D&D soundtrack from Midnight Syndicate. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby knightvision » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Here's a great link from Gnomestew on RPG music
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby The Venomous Pao » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 pm

I tend towards classic old metal (Sabbath, Maiden, etc.) and newer "old school" metal (Wolfmother, The Sword, etc.) as the soundtrack for my LL/D&D type fantasy games. It takes me back to when I was younger. Which is probably a great hook for some of the "Oh, retroclones are just about nostalgia" crowd, but so be it. :)

I've used lots of other music over the years, ranging from bellydancing music by El-Bakkar (for my BRP-powered Arabian Nights game) to era-appropriate jazz for pulp and noir-ish games. For scifi I've used some ambient stuff, but I'm no connoisseur of the genre, so I don't really have any recommendations.

Other GMs in my group are suckers for soundtracks (Stargate seems to get a lot of play, regardless of game genre) or "active" classical. Oh, and when we were playing Champions back in the day the Batman Beyond soundtrack reigned supreme. Man, I got tired of those tracks :)
Old School, New School and other bloggy bits at StrangeStones.com
The Venomous Pao

Postby samwise7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm

I go to Pandora.com and type in a metal song that is instrumental. My current Pandora station is based on Megadeth's Dialectic Chaos song. You can also modify channels by adding in other bands, or other songs. I typed in Karma To Burn, and Megadeth's Into The Lungs of Hell song as well. Karma To Burn has mostly instrumental songs. Here is a direct link to the station I made:
http://www.pandora.com/stations/4ef0593 ... a5cf801fa8
"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg
samwise7

Postby Aelwe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 pm

I've tried using music, but my group have always found it distracting. But the times when we used it, was mostly a mix of metal and hard rock (everything, from AC/DC to Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, etc.) with a bit of classical thrown in the mix.
The only exception was when we played Star Wars, I had enough "Star Wars ambience" music extracted from videogames (Jedi Knight mostly), that when played randomly helped to set the mood a lot and was not really distracting.
Aelwe

Return to Open Discussion